How can I hook my Comp to my TV?

itachi183

Limp Gawd
hey, my TV is a 4:3 flatscreen 19" it's got red, white, yellow connections and blue, green, red. Is there anyway I could get picture and audio from my computer to display on it?

It also has a comcast box hooked to it and I think on the back of the comcast box I see a VGA socket I'm not sure though.

That vga socket on the comcast box is most likely for comcast techs to troubleshooting.

What type of video card do you have? It'll need to have the capability to output a TV signal through either component or composite.

What type of video card do you have? It'll need to have the capability to output a TV signal through either component or composite.

If he has a DVI port (what card doesn't nowadays?) he is fine. See my first post.

If he has a DVI port (what card doesn't nowadays?) he is fine. See my first post.

Your suggestion was stupid and isn't going to work. Only certain DVI (and VGA) ports that are specifically made to output an analog signal over that port will work with the card. You can't just plug that cable into any DVI (or VGA) port and have it work, it's not going too.

He needs to get a card that already supports component out using a dongle.

What card can't output a DVI-I signal? I'm looking at a bunch of spare PCIe GPU's and they all have the DVI-I pinout... And all work with those DVI>VGA (analog) adapters that come with them.

Tell me, how to those adapters work if the card can't output an analog signal over the DVI port?

If for some reason he can't, he can just pick up the "s-video/tv port" to component cable that should have come with his card.

Last edited:
What card can't output a DVI-I signal? I'm looking at a bunch of spare PCIe GPU's and they all have the DVI-I pinout... And all work with those DVI>VGA (analog) adapters that come with them.

Tell me, how to those adapters work if the card can't output an analog signal over the DVI port?

If for some reason he can't, he can just pick up the "s-video/tv port" to component cable that should have come with his card.

They need to support RGB over DVI or VGA which most cards don't. Not just a plain "analog" signal, it has to be a certain type. These things are made for mostly CE devices and not video cards.

I have several Asus motherboards with onboard video that will not do component or VGA out of the DVI port, no matter what adapter you use. The circuitry just isn't there.

Most recent (last 5 years) video cards come with a dongle of some sort to output component video.

Dustin

Most recent (last 5 years) video cards come with a dongle of some sort to output component video.

Dustin
Nothing like raising the dead :)

To make things alot easier we need the OP to let us know what video card he has. Otherwise all you will get is further argumants as to what will or wont work. But sense he has not responded in a couple months he has either dropped the idea or has gotten a resolution.

Back