How can I get my computer to shutdown when a sound certain sound is heard?

dvlzomb

n00b
I have a device attached to the fan (PC Fan Failure Alarm with TX3 Connector ) that lets out a sound when the fan stops working.

I want to make it so when this noise is herd, the computer shuts down.

I have my computer set to shutdown when 'chrl + alt + s' is pressed, if that helps at all.

I have no idea how I should go about doing this and I am desperate for help.

I have been trying to write a java applet that listens to a microphone and then runs the shutdown.exe prog. when the sound is herd. I have misserably failed at writing this,

Please He!lp

Think 'computer clapper' (like the turn off the light thing)

Cut the heat shrink off; solder a couple leads off of the positive and negative connections to the circuit board. Connect those leads in parallel to the coil "k" on a small relay from radio shack. Tap into your power button leads and run them parallel to the common "C" and normally open "NO" contact points. Now what will happen is when your failure alarm screams, it will energize the coil in the relay closing the contact, which in the same effect is you pressing the power button continuously on the front of the case until the computer will shut off, then after all power is off, the relay will release and you can turn the computer back on later if you wish. I hope this helps. its not the "mike" thing you are looking for but it will do the job quite the same.

Holy !!!! thanks. Im going to try all that, but I am haveing trouble understanding what the heck it means (due to me not being as godly as you in hardware knowledge).

I am sure I can figure it out once I get things going.

Thanks !

[Which heat sink do I cut off and which circuit board etc? Can you please specify :D ]

He's saying - you should take the wires running to the buzzer/alarm and cut the buzzer off - then take those 2 wires to power a relay, which can serve to actuate (bypass actually) your case-front power button...

What he is saying is tap into the speaker output with a relay, which when switched will short the connections for the power button(Which is what the button does anyway.)

The thing is I am not sure if the speaker output would have the right output to power a relay. Speakers opperate off of an AC signal. Relays close with a DC current. Im not sure there would be enough power to energise the relay anyway.

heat shrink not heat sink btw

the device probably uses a piezo buzzer, so it would be DC power and ok to run a relay off of it. If the power output to the piezo buzzer is not enough, then another gain component might be needed (aka transistor)

You can find some pretty low current reed-switch relays out there. I bet he can find one that'll latch on the current an alarm buzzer requires...

I don't want to be Captain Obvious here, but why not utilize the auto shutdown feature of your motherboard sensor. It will shut your comp off at a preset temperature in case the HSF fails to work properly. Almost every mobo has the feature and sure would be a lot less work :)

Originally posted by MajorDomo
I don't want to be Captain Obvious here, but why not utilize the auto shutdown feature of your motherboard sensor. It will shut your comp off at a preset temperature in case the HSF fails to work properly. Almost every mobo has the feature and sure would be a lot less work :)

I have to do it with a hardware component (School crap) so :(

Thanks to everybody for everything. This is due in 2 days so I will get started in 1 day.

Thank so much for you help! These forums are helpfull ++

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would have been screwed over completely if it where not for your help :)

(Thanks)
[Thanks]

- And can I can pick up a reed-switch relay at radio shack?

If not I shall order one offline right now, along with the huge 1 day shipping fee (although it always takes longer than 1 day).

yup... you should be able to find reed relay at rat shack

good luck...

thore

He!lp

Did I buy the write one?

100_0512.jpg

100_0515.jpg

100_0520.jpg

How on earth do I fix this to the beeping device so it shuts down my computer :confused:.

Any more pictures that would be usefull to you, feel free to ask.

orr.....you can hook up clapper to your PC's power cable and then get a HUGE fish tank (one that can hold a full grown dolphin) train the dolphin to clap when he/she hears the sound of the alarm.

voila!

on another note, why not just get a program such as Motheroard Monitor5 and have it shut down your system when that fan stops working. I think this solution is MUCH easier then any of the aformentioned ones

Originally posted by Biggie
orr.....you can hook up clapper to your PC's power cable and then get a HUGE fish tank (one that can hold a full grown dolphin) train the dolphin to clap when he/she hears the sound of the alarm.

voila!

on another note, why not just get a program such as Motheroard Monitor5 and have it shut down your system when that fan stops working. I think this solution is MUCH easier then any of the aformentioned ones
Originally posted by dvlzomb
I have to do it with a hardware component (School crap) so :(

Do you have a multimeter? You need to figure out what kind of voltage/current is present in the buzzer circuit when it goes off. Then you need to find a relay that can be activated by that voltage. However, I think a relay might draw too much current and burn something out, I don't think those buzzers draw too much current.

Back