How can I get a region 3 DVD to work?

Samjham

Gawd
I was in S. Korea last week and bought a DVD. I completely forgot about the region encoding when I bought it and can't get it to play on my DVD player or on my computer.

Is there anyway that I can get it to work, short of buying a new DVD player that is capable of playing region 3?

What's the purpose of having different region encodings anyway?

Movies are commonly released in theaters or on DVD on staggered dates according to region for marketing reasons. For example, a movie that is already on DVD in the US may still only be in theaters and be months away from DVD in Europe. Region coding is an annoying mechanism designed to prevent the distribution of movies across regions in order to maintain control over the timing of releases.

On a side note, the DVD-playing portion of Windows Media Player allowed me to change the region it recognized four times.
Not a permanent solution, but 'tis a very quick fix.

[WMP9, XP Pro]

Use Slysoft ANYDVD. Depending on your DVD drive, you may also be able to make it region free. Check Doom9.net for details on that and using ANYDVD.

phixt said:
Movies are commonly released in theaters or on DVD on staggered dates according to region for marketing reasons. For example, a movie that is already on DVD in the US may still only be in theaters and be months away from DVD in Europe. Region coding is an annoying mechanism designed to prevent the distribution of movies across regions in order to maintain control over the timing of releases.

a nearly irrelevant strategy of course

New film's DVD release in China aims to stop piracy

A U.S. studio has released a pared-down DVD of a new movie in China the same day the film hit domestic theatres.

In the ongoing battle to combat international movie piracy, Warner Bros. Entertainment released a DVD of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants in China last Wednesday, when the teen flick opened in North America. The pared-down DVD has no extra features and the Chinese subtitles on the film cannot be hidden.

It is believed to be the first time a major U.S. studio has simultaneously released a film in theatres at home and on DVD abroad.

Back