How can I force a program to my spinner?

Hey everyone, I own a ttm57sl mixer with serato scratch live built in. They mixer has the ability to record mixes directly to the computer. However there is no option to specify where the mixes go; they always go in your users directory.

The problem with this is my users directory is on a not-so-cheap OCZ Vertex3 120GB SSD drive. A one hour mix makes a file over 500MB, and I don't want to write that much to my SSD every time I want to make a mix.

I have tried using the program "Junction Link Magic", which seemed to be able to do what I want. However after a session it had simply copied over the tracks instead of simply acting as a pass through to the HDD.

I know some say SSD wear not something to worry too much about but I have had one fail at work already doing heavy geoprocessing (BSODs caused by failing SSD confirmed in Dell Diagnostics).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To manually junction folders at a command prompt (location tab doesn't appear for every folder):

mklink /j oldlocation newlocation

If you have data in the old folder that also needs to be moved, you'll have to manually copy the folder from old to new location first, and then rename or delete the folder in the old location, else it'll complain about duplicate names and refuse to make the junction there. If not, just create your new storage folder, delete\rename the original, then run mklink.

So if I do: mklink /j C:\test R:\test , that will put a folder junction named 'test' on C:\ drive pointing to the real storage location on R:\ drive (which I also named 'test', but you can use any name here if you want). The junction looks like a folder shortcut icon. When you click on the junction on C:\ it will still behave like a normal folder, and it will appear that all the data is still there on C:\, but the data is truly stored on R:\ .

It almost sounds like you had it set up right, but saw the 'illusion' junctions create, and thought it was copying to both locations. This part can be confusing because it looks like it is copied at both locations, but it is not. Even the file paths in explorer will look like it is on both C: and R: , that's one of the benefits, the 'fake' file path works fine, it 'fools' programs into thinking the files are actually there, because some apps don't deal well with normal shortcuts or have no options to move user type folders, such as your case.

LOL I must be getting old... I had no idea what a spinner was until I read the thread. :D

Back