How can I fix my router??? Linksys E3000

Lyquist

2[H]4U
I had a Linksys Wireless-G router for a long time and had very good luck with it. However, I ended up getting a couple of Wireless-N devices and wanted to get a different router. I bought the Linksys E3000. I got it home and set it up, and at first it worked. Then it would all of a sudden drop everything connected to it. I would restart the router, and in short order it would drop all connections again. This completely baffled me for awhile, until I actually touched the bottom of the router, and it was quite hot. I had it laying flat on a a table, so I could never understand why it was getting so hot. Anyway...I stood it up on it's side and it worked for awhile. Then it would randomly drop various things connected to it. The last straw was when I was listening to internet on the Apple TV, while viewing the internet on my PC and it started dropping the connection every five minutes. Anyway, I have now hooked my Wireless-G Linksys back up and it is working great.

The questions I have are these...is Wireless-N even needed? I live in a small place, so I don't need it to reach a long distance, and I don't transfer a tremendous amount of date wirelessly, so that doesn't really matter. Should I even try to fix this router? I looked on the Linksys page and I am running the newest firmware. I appreciate any help you guys can give me, and you need anymore information, let me know.

G vs N isnt about distance, but streaming video often chokes a G connection depending on the type of video. but you are the one who can test it- you already have the wireless-G router setup, so do you need wireless-N?

that is not really a cheap router (as consumer routers go) so i would try to RMA it. unless you are an EE, there isnt much you can do to 'fix' it. i found a few people having trouble that said to disable UPnP, you can try that.

What about reflashing the firmware? If that doesn't work, I am going to set it on fire some type of way, put the video on YouTube and send a link to the video to all the Linksys e-mail accounts I can. And if they try to send me something new that works, I will set that on fire as well.

you could try firmware, but if you are already on the newest version its unlikely to do much. you could try downgrading (before setting it on fire) just for fun, occasionally older versions are more stable.

can you not RMA it? or just dont want to? make sure to post the youtube link :)

I will definitely post the YouTube link. I currently have my old Wireless-G router up and it has been completely flawless...the urge to get some kind of blowtorch for this E3000 is growing.

Why not try DD-WRT or Tomato? Both state that they support the E3000. I found that my WRT310n was unstable, and had lame wireless performance even on N, flashed to DD-WRT and all those problems went away!

Worst case scenario it doesn't improve things and you get to set it on fire (or it bricks and you get to set it on fire).

Not really sure what I'm going to do yet. Frankly, I don't see exactly why I even need Wireless-N. It was a bit of an impulse purchase. If it is something that I can take back, then I will so I can get back my money (I will look at the receipt). If the other firmwares don't work, then I will think something up...I am thinking of some sort of flamethrower while simultaneously having a friend with some kind of extremely powerful gun shoot it.

i recommend flashing custom firmware onto the e3000, i have a e3000 myself and use tomato usb firmware, others use dd-wrt but many switched from dd-wrt firmware to tomato usb firmware and they have been nothing but more happy with using tomato firmware

Back