How can I (entirely legally from a bought CD) backup games?

pbXassassinX1524

[H]ard|Gawd
hey guys, I just got BF1942 (I know, kind of late huh) but anyway after losing UT2k3 a little while ago to disk scratching, I was wondering how I could back up the disks and actually have them work.

I have alcohol and I don't know what settings to put that on to make it work, and I also tried cloneCD, that REALLY didn't work.

I think I remember on TSS a long time ago a site with all the encryption/copy protection types on different games, but I can't find that page.

If anyone can help me, it would be great, I hate spending 50 bucks for somethign I can't use :(

hey man its not that hard, i got alcohol in about 20 min. i was confused by the encryption run errors during the first 5% but realised it was reading over the error blocks. gg im retarded...

but anyway yea best of luck. pm meh if u need any help i may know :eek:

okay, well, I know how alcohol works, I just didn't know which settings to choose. And yea, those errors are supposed to be there (unless your disk is scratched.)

There's two ways to do this,

1. With a regular cdr drive and EMULATION via alchohol or other software.

2. You need to buy a high quality cdrw such as a Lite-On that has the ability to make exact 1:1 backups - without using the EMULATION features of alchohol/clonecd/bw/whatever.

The emulation I speak of is basically for those burners that cannot duplicate the cd exactly, they work just as well, only they require you to have the emu software loaded. Go with option number two, invest 40 bucks in a capable cdrw drive (such as a lite-on) copy your cd's as soon as you get them, put them someplace safe, and play with your backups.

www.cdfreaks.com

Their forums are great, as long as your questions and reasons are legit, you're good to go there.

is there like a free demo I can try of gamesXcopy? I just spent all my $$ on a game, lol.

I can't make it play with the alcohol burn, only the actualy disc.... oh well. I'll just be extra super careful with it, unless there is a demo for gamesxcopy.

It all depends on the game you are backing up (i.e. Copy Protection BF42 = Safedisc 2.8(?) or UT2K3 SecureRom 4.84(?)). What kind of cdrw and firmware you have. Last but not least what software you plan to use. A good place to learn is

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/

Originally posted by warsawtag
ya, i really want a bf42 no cd patch... i hate using the cd!

-warsaw

Go to the link DiscoStu provided. But, keep in mind that some no-cd patches may not allow for mod play. I don't know if it's changed, but when DC first came out, I couldn't use a No-CD patch with it. That's what pushed me to using Alcohol and mounting isos on virtual drives.

First you should download Clony XXL and Alcoholer.

Use Clony XXL to figure out the copy protection, and then use Alcoholer to forward the settings to Alcohol 120%.

I used http://www.clone.cd/phpBB/ to figure out everything.

Gotta give my vote to Alcohol 120%. Great little piece of software. I made ISO's of my Generals cds so I don't have to actually put the CD's in the drives for the games. Those CD's for some odd reason vibrate like all get out in my tower.

can use winiso to make iso of cd then mount with daemon tools .. or if just a back up cd , I use nero and just do direct copy ..providing you have 2 drives

Back