How can I do this?

contaminant

Limp Gawd
I want to colorize words into my side window so they are still transparent. My first thought was spray paint, but I figured that would be opaque and probably wouldn’t work the best on Plexiglas. Here's a pic of what I am trying to describe, I am not that good with PS but it came out alright. And if you have something against ATi, I don't care- I'm probably not going to use that design anyway so don't flip I just used it as an example because this is going to be a CrossFire rig.
casdesign.jpg

You want a case stricker, aka applique.

They can be made out of translucent red vinyl if you want. PM me, I might be able to help you out with that.

etch the letters, mix food dye and methelyne chloride, and dye the etch. permanantly changes the color of the acrylic

There is also translucent paint - I've used it to color plexi when I didn't have access to translucent red plexi. Should be available at arts and crafts stores.

Thanks to everyone so far, these posts are giving me the ideas I needed to overcome what was a major head scratchier lol. Keep 'em coming! :D

People use the "candy" color spraypaints to paint their tail lights on their cars red. Basically it's a transluscent red color when it's done. Just look at model paints in spray cans.

Red window Tint.

Apply to the area where you want the logo, cut with exacto knife, peel the rest. Voila, red semi-transparent decal.

contaminant said:
I want to colorize words into my side window so they are still transparent. My first thought was spray paint, but I figured that would be opaque and probably wouldn’t work the best on Plexiglas. Here's a pic of what I am trying to describe, I am not that good with PS but it came out alright. And if you have something against ATi, I don't care- I'm probably not going to use that design anyway so don't flip I just used it as an example because this is going to be a CrossFire rig.
casdesign.jpg
I think you can get that here.

DudeItsMe said:
Wise call
biggrin.gif

Next time, make the question, "How can I do this well?"
tongue.gif
Yeah good call.

There is a site not sure which one it is but they have a guide on making colored window appliques.

Even though this thread was about case badges, the links also have appliques which is what you would want I think.

Link

Find a signage shop local to you that will cut vinyl RTA (ready to apply, just means that you apply it yourself instead of them and therefore cuts out labor costs). The signage shop I worked at had multiple libraries of corporate logos, and it took only a few minutes to cut it, pluck out the badness, mask it and trim it. Call around and give them the size and say what you are looking for, I'm sure they'll be helpful.

I'd go with the "candy" spraypaint idea. Candy colors are basically a small amount of color pigment mixed with clearcoat. They go on very thin and are totally dependant on the base color for any kind of opacity.

If you have access to an airbrush you can make your own "candies".

Another option is: go to your local decent-sized auto parts store. They sell colored window tint (green, red, blue, etc). It's self adhesive, cheap, and easily cut. Grab your x-axto and go to it. If you mess up, you have plenty to start over with.

Just my suggestions.

I'm gonna check out this "candy" spray paint. I've got some spare plexi and I will see how it looks. Thanks for suggestions guys keep them coming! :D

Back