How can i delete my OS when HD is currently in use?

etegv

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I would like to reformat the harddrive for my PC that i am using right now. I have windows 8 on it currently, however i would like to downgrade to windows 7 using my Windows 7 cd. How can i delete the current windows 8 OS so that i can install the windows 7 OS?

Thank you all in advanced for the help :)

When you boot from the DVD to install the OS, it will get to the point where it asks where you want to install Windows--on that page are options to delete/format the existing partitions. Highlight each partition then choose delete. Deleting will free up the space for the new install. Just did it while installing 8.1 Pro over W7--went like clockwork and the new install was free and clear of all old W7 parts and pieces.

When you boot from the DVD to install the OS, it will get to the point where it asks where you want to install Windows--on that page are options to delete/format the existing partitions. Highlight each partition then choose delete. Deleting will free up the space for the new install. Just did it while installing 8.1 Pro over W7--went like clockwork and the new install was free and clear of all old W7 parts and pieces.

if something is wrong with your win 7 DVD you can download Win7 from microsoft. Google around for the image location. I don't know if this forum has a thread on that. Then you burn it to a DVD or bootable usb drive.

TorDogs suggestion will work, and alternatively, you can boot you Windows Install CD into command prompt mode and use the format command to re-format your windows partition.

Or if you want a bootable utility program to do it, then I recommend Gparted and you can re-format the partition that has your OS on it or completely wipe out all partitions if you don't want / need recovery partitions anymore. Gparted is a powerful graphical utility, so I am assuming you feel comfortable using a utility that has options for setting up both Windows and non-windows based partitions and file-systems and selecting the appropriate settings and options for your needs.

Back