How can I customise Vista?

Wally

2[H]4U
I have a number of questions, as I like my OS to be just as I want, and had a fair bit of success getting XP to do as I wished. Vista, on the other hand, is a big stupid mess.

1: How can I remove or hide the folders?

my.php

Those "contacts" and "favorites" type folders keep reappearing when I delete them. Right click>hide doesn't work either. I hate them and want them to die.

2: How do I change the system folders?

These blue ones won't allow me to alter the icon path as the cream ones do. Similar issue for other system icons. Fair enough, but then why does it create both blue/cream folders? I found some registry cleaner/system tweaking program for XP, and wondered if there was anything similar for Vista that might allow me to dick with these icons.

Is there any way to edit the start menu's document links?

my.php

I've done as much as I can with the right click> properties business, but there're no options for things like "Recent items". is there a way of further adjusting what appears, and possibly even moving them around?

Thanks in advance.

Right clicking on a folder and then adding a "Hidden" attribute doesn't work to hide it?

I have a work around for #1. Don't use the C Drive for storage. Those folders bother me as well, but I'm never tooling around on the C Drive, so I don't ever see them. I have my Windows Explorer shortcut set to open to my D Drive, where I store my data and files.

#2.2 is easy.

Start (alternate click) > Properties > Privacy Frame - Uncheck Store and Display a list of recently opened files.

As for #2.1. Could you clarify a bit?

Are you trying to change the icons of the default folders in user profiles or are you trying to move them.

I posted a thread about 5 months ago that details how to transplant user profiles in Vista to a new drive in a transparent fashion. (So Windows puts all user data and appdata on the other drive by default)

#2.2 is easy.

Start (alternate click) > Properties > Privacy Frame - Uncheck Store and Display a list of recently opened files.

As for #2.1. Could you clarify a bit?

Are you trying to change the icons of the default folders in user profiles or are you trying to move them.

I posted a thread about 5 months ago that details how to transplant user profiles in Vista to a new drive in a transparent fashion. (So Windows puts all user data and appdata on the other drive by default)

Completely missed that Store and Display bit. Thanks.

The second one: I wish to alter the icons. The blue folders won't give me the option to set the path to the icon like others. I had similar problems on XP which I remedied with a program called TweakNow! or something, which would allow you to alter the icons in batches, even the ones you couldn't change by default. I've actually just read that it's now compatible with Vista. I'll give it a quick trial then a fat uninstall if it works.

Completely missed that Store and Display bit. Thanks.

The second one: I wish to alter the icons. The blue folders won't give me the option to set the path to the icon like others. I had similar problems on XP which I remedied with a program called TweakNow! or something, which would allow you to alter the icons in batches, even the ones you couldn't change by default. I've actually just read that it's now compatible with Vista. I'll give it a quick trial then a fat uninstall if it works.

The icon information for those folders is stored in Desktop.ini within the folder.

Back