how can I control which programs/processes run at startup in WinXP?

whisper

Limp Gawd
Here's my question below... very short and sweet:
I'm using WinXP Pro with sp2, and am looking for a straightforward way to control EXACTLY which apps, processes, etc. load at startup. Is there a utility or something I can use to do this? I'm trying to troubleshoot a porblem, and have some suspects in mind.

Thanks;)

If you're interested and want more info, keep reading...
My problem: Some apps and services won't load. The system just hangs for a sec and then nothing happens (as if I had never tried to load it). Affected programs include Avast! antivirus, Ulead DVD MovieFactory, Windows Help and Support (from the start menu), System Information (from accessories-->system tools) and others. There doesn't seem to be much of a connection among the things that don't load, and I'm not sure why many of my other programs DO yet some do NOT. One thing is in common: if I boot into safe mode, everything can load again as normal.

Possible problems: I've installed a lot of stuff recently so it could be any number of things. I have a gut feeling it may have something to do with a new printer I installed (HP Photosmart 7450). It installed a whole bunch of things that run at startup (in task manager there are six hp processes now running). Short of just trying to uninstall the entire package, I would first like to see what happens if I just disable them from running at startup. So that's why I'm asking about this in the first place. Thanks again for reading.

Try something like Process Guard. It should do what you are wanting to do.

I have had no end of problems with HP software as of late. Haven't really had enough time to dig deep enough to see if it's the OS (ME) or the software. My guess is a combination of both is causing lots of problems.

Well, my problems aside, process guard seems like an exceptionally useful tool which I will have to consider buying the full version for. Thanks for that suggestion.

As for my problems, I did try to prevent my HP stuff from running using PG, but all the HP processes that I had found in the task manager still ran anyway. I'm not sure these things are really programs per se, as much as they are drivers, drivers componenets, or something along those lines. I might have to completely uninstall the printer to get rid of them. I did manage, however, to go into the task manager and manually end each and every one of these HP processes, which did not in the end fix my problem of certain programs no longer loading.

So as for now, I'm back to square one. As I said, I have done a lot of other stuff to my system as well. I removed my old NAV2003 recently and replaced with Avast! (which won't load, however, as I mentioned). Also, I recently installed Zone Alarm Pro, tho I don't think that's the root of my problems since the trouble started before I installed it. I just installed the trial version as a temporary security measure since my AV is on the fritz. What a mess I tell ya. Anyway, at least WoW is still working :D Not that it matters, since Blizzard has had so many problems of their own lately, I can't get on half the time anyway lol.

you might try going to start -> run -> "msconfig" and go to the startup tab and unchecking things you don't want

They are safe to disable, but you may find problems running some of the included software packages (which most people don't use). You may also be disabling some of the monitors that alert you to low ink, etc. As long as you check this yourself, it's not a problem.

tim_m said:
you might try going to start -> run -> "msconfig" and go to the startup tab and unchecking things you don't want

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I have now tried a bunch of startup configurations, limiting what loads at startup, but haven't found a fix for my problem yet. I have another thread going about it now.

You can also try something called Autoruns. It's a freeware program at sysinternals.com. Give it a look; the website is self-explanatory....

Back