How can I block a user from viewing "Available Wireless Networks"?

Syntaxx

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been trying to figure out if there is a way disable or restrict a user's ability to open the "View Wireless Networks" in WinXP and/or prevent him from switching networks, without much success. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even an authoritative "Can't be done" would be helpful. WinXP pro, normal (non-admin) users.

If possible is their a way to completely remove the Wifi status icon from the task bar? I mean completely remove not just the option in the properties that says don't display when im connected because the icon still comes back when you are not connected which gives the back door for letting the user connect to open wifi.

Any thoughts? Registry/Policy changes? :confused:

Am I correct that disabling the wireless totally is not an option? You still want this user to be able to access certain wireless networks(s) but not unsecure/unapproved ones?

you are broadcasting your signal. That's why they are able to see. There should be a seeting in the router where you can add the PC's that you want to see the signal.

They dont want the user seeing ANY, from how i understand it, they may only want them to be able to see their network but not possbly see other unsecure networks.

you are broadcasting your signal. That's why they are able to see. There should be a seeting in the router where you can add the PC's that you want to see the signal.

He doesn't want to lock down his AP/Router, he wants to prevent his users from browsing available wireless networks and hopping on one.

OP, you may be able to do it with a software restriction policy through group policy or in the local security policy.

oh, OK. should be able to do that in the registry. you can disable the wireless without the user viewing the icon and you can disable control panel. but an easier way is to Run services.msc at the command line and look for your wireless service in the Services list. Double click to access its properties and set the startup mode to disabled and reboot.

But if you want to do it via the registry, you'd have to go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Network]

To disable control panel you'd modify this key:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer]

Backup your registry before editing anything, though.

oh, OK. should be able to do that in the registry. you can disable the wireless without the user viewing the icon and you can disable control panel. but an easier way is to Run services.msc at the command line and look for your wireless service in the Services list. Double click to access its properties and set the startup mode to disabled and reboot.

But if you want to do it via the registry, you'd have to go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Network]

Explorer]

I don't think the OP wants to disable the wireless functionality altogether. They just want the computer to stay connected to their access point and not let users change that.

the first option is for disabling. the registry keys are for removing the icons and CP so users can't modify anything.

Hey guys, I'm sorry I didnt respond I was at work when I posted. I'm at home now.

Yes, I want my user to still have Wireless but they are to only remain connected to our prefferred network.. For example, I Dont want the user being able to click on view available wireless network and go wow look McDonald's open wifi and boom jump on it.

I want to block that from happening :D

Tomorrow at work I can try some of the things stated but yes to get clear the air.

I need the user not able to manually connect to other Wifi networks, I need them to just have the network you have setup as prefferred for them.

Let me know if that clears things up.

Network]

Explorer]

Will that second key remove icons from the task bar or control panel??

The user already has "network connections" blocked from the Control Panel Access but the little WIFI Status Icon Adapter still exists by the clock on the task bar, which has a backdoor to right click and "view available wireless networks".

what OS, will a guest account block them, i know a guest account in say XP wont let people manually change a wired connections info..

Windows XP Pro SP2, however we use active directory to manage the accounts.

Network]

Explorer]

What do I add? I looked in their and it looks like I have to create the key to block?

Whats the key?

Currently in their is NoCDBurning and NoWelcomeScreen keys.

Use an Intel wireless card, and download the full IT Support version of the ProSet tools ... it will allow you to setup managed profiles, prevent the user from changing any of the profiles, and locking down the entire application.

It's about 1,000 laptops and they are equipped w/ Cisco PCI Wireless cards.. Doesnt sound like an option..

Do they come with Cisco proprietary connection software you can use and disable the windows wireless manager? (wirelesszero I think) The Cisco software might let you do what you want?

Back