How can I block a user from viewing "Available Wireless Networks"?

Syntaxx

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been trying to figure out if there is a way disable or restrict a user's ability to open the "View Wireless Networks" in WinXP and/or prevent him from switching networks, without much success. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even an authoritative "Can't be done" would be helpful. WinXP pro, normal (non-admin) users.

If possible is their a way to completely remove the Wifi status icon from the task bar? I mean completely remove not just the option in the properties that says don't display when im connected because the icon still comes back when you are not connected which gives the back door for letting the user connect to open wifi.

Any thoughts? Registry/Policy changes?

This is posted twice, was not sure which topic.

It's a security issue but also at the OS level.

I battled this last summer and found absolutely nothing. All I can do is insure that the access point is available before the system it turned on, and set it to not display icon if there is connectivity. With a policy lock you can't get to the network settings to change it. Unfortunately just turning the wifi off grants access to the icon because you can't block disconnected wireless icon.

Back