How big of an antenna do i need?

Grentz

Fully [H]
Well here is the situation. I am putting in a wifi network for a company and the goal is to beam the signal accross their parking lot to another building. The buildings are lester shed type (metal walled sheds). I have come down to the idea to use a outdoor wifi router on one side and then hopefully just a standard client on the other side (usb wifi).

I like the look of the engenius routers. They are decently priced, outdoor rated, and powerful. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...50002037&Manufactory=2037&bop=And&Order=PRICE

My question is, do I need the 16dbi flatpanel version (EOC-3220+) or the 9dbi flat panel version (EOC-3220). The two are the same except for the larger gain patch panel in the one version.

The run is probably about 400 - 500ft and the thing will be mounted outside the one building but have to penetrate the remote building.

Well here is the situation. I am putting in a wifi network for a company and the goal is to beam the signal accross their parking lot to another building. The buildings are lester shed type (metal walled sheds). I have come down to the idea to use a outdoor wifi router on one side and then hopefully just a standard client on the other side (usb wifi).

I like the look of the engenius routers. They are decently priced, outdoor rated, and powerful. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...50002037&Manufactory=2037&bop=And&Order=PRICE

My question is, do I need the 16dbi flatpanel version (EOC-3220+) or the 9dbi flat panel version (EOC-3220). The two are the same except for the larger gain patch panel in the one version.

The run is probably about 400 - 500ft and the thing will be mounted outside the one building but have to penetrate the remote building.

I have run 1000' with a 15 DB omni and a 15 DB Backfire directional, but these were outside antennas. It's tough to tell when dealing with metal buildings. I had a multipath issue on an install that I did, and basicaly had o come back with another antenna. If you plan on doing this professionaly then I would suggest having set's of these to do a proper site survey.

You're going to want a directional antenna, anything above 15\16dBi should be useful - flat panel or Yagi are the way to go as well, as they're easy to mount onto a pole and aren't too conspicuous (vandalism, asthestics, etc.).

You'll want to make sure that the antenna cable between the WiFi Router\AP on BOTH sides, is really less than 1.5M, anything more and you'll be getting a lot of signal loss. Anyone here will suggest the LMR400 rated cabling. That inside a piece of conduit (flexible) should be fine as well.

I'm honestly not sure, however, if the idea of a USB WiFi adapter will work on the other side. You'll most likely pick up the signal, but, I just don't think that USB WiFi adapters pack enough punch for reliable longer range links. That being said, have a go, and if it doesn't work, you'll have to have the same external setup on both sides.

Also, have you thought, as a completely different idea, of setting up a Romba Infrared CommLink? They work on distances of up to 1.5KM, and are very reliable.

Hope this all helps - I'm in the process of setting up a long range WiFi network as well, and yep - It's not as easy as it all looks :rolleyes: ;) :D .

@EDIT: It's actually not called 'Romba', that alternative solution. It's called something starting with 'R', and I can't remember what it is. Someone help me out :p.

Ya, the two I am looking at are integrated antenna and router so the cable length is not an issue. Also, the router side will be mounted outside so it is just penetrating the other building.

It is only a single machine on the other side so I think the infrared link would be overkill :p

I think i might just do the 16dbi to be on the safe side. Wifi can be so finicky its just weird. I have done a lot of inside installs, just no outside point to point as of yet. Site survey is also a bit hard as this is a small implementation and I do not have long range stuff on hand.

Back