How big is your Windows 10 pre-load folder?

ir0nw0lf

Supreme [H]ardness
Reading on several sites lots of different sizes of the Windows 10 pre-load folder. Here is mine, sitting on a Windows 8.1 Pro x64 machine ready to go:

Capture_1.jpg

5.79GB on my Dell XPS 13
5.9GB on my desktop

Last edited:
5.97 GB on my custom rig .8.1 core 64 bit as well . It has a setup and everything else it looks like . Can we start with the install ? My Wife's rig does not have this file yet but she does have a copy reserved , strange .

Nope cant install . Clicked on the set up and it brings up the "Install now" button . Click it and get a message that a missing file (boot.wim) wont let the install start. bummer.

Mine is 4.11GB on my Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.
My other machine is still downloading as it keeps counting up, it's at 3.90GB and counting.
Oh, didn't realize it was the 28th already. Will it unlock at midnight local times?

How do you get this? Does it show up as a Windows Update? I don't have anything. :(

Edit: I looked it up and I guess you just run this command from an admin command prompt. It's downloading for me now.

wuauclt.exe /updatenow

Still nothing on my windows prenut folder. ugh...Cmon microsoft

Wow, guess I have the smallest folder size so far. 3.68GB. Win 8.1 x64 Pro as well.

Nope cant install . Clicked on the set up and it brings up the "Install now" button . Click it and get a message that a missing file (boot.wim) wont let the install start. bummer.

Same. That file is the WinPE version that the installer boots into. That would bring the size closer to 4GB for me as I checked that file's size on a Win 8.1 disc and it is 200MB.

EDIT2: My drivers folder is 355MB. I normally ignore all of the language pack updates and can see that folder is empty for me. It's possible that others have a ton of language packs in that folder.

The Install.esd file which used to also be a wim is 2.6GB which is all of the files of the OS. That file just downloaded a few minutes ago when I turned on the pc.

Last edited:
Not everyone is going to get this on the 29th for bandwidth and deployment concerns. Not sure how they are picking folks and the order, all Insiders should be getting it on the 29th I believe.

Wow, guess I have the smallest folder size so far. 3.68GB. Win 8.1 x64 Pro as well.

nah I'm at 3.51gb on my desktop win7home

Nothing on my laptop. Dunno about the other systems in the house.

edit: 2 1/2 hours later and I'm at 4.2gb

Last edited:
If you don't have the $Windows.~BT folder or it seems relatively small (it was also used for the 8.1 install), then check ...\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ folder size, that is where it gets downloaded before being moved to the other location.

6.01gb here. Same issue when clicking install. cant wait

im assuming this way upgrades your current OS? or is it a .iso file to create a new fresh install?

Just finished the upgrade and promptly undid 95% of the things that made it different from Windows 8. :)

I do like the small footprint though, it's helpful with smaller SSDs. The Windows folder is tiny.

Woot, it started installing! If you have the "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro" Failed message in your update history, you need to clear your download cache in \window\softwaredistribution\download\ and open a command prompt with admin privileges and type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow". For some reason I had to do this twice before the $Windows.~BT would grow anymore and then I hit Check for Updates and Windows 10 just started installing.

Woot, it started installing! If you have the "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro" Failed message in your update history, you need to clear your download cache in \window\softwaredistribution\download\ and open a command prompt with admin privileges and type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow". For some reason I had to do this twice before the $Windows.~BT would grow anymore and then I hit Check for Updates and Windows 10 just started installing.

I thought it was just a time zone thing, but I just did this and installed right away. Thanks!

I have two install folder but it won't install (Windows 7 64bit Pro)

$WINDOWS.~BT (only a few files in it)

and this folder:

$Windows.~WS (this folder is 5.76GB in size)

Hmmmm..what is going on?

Mine reaches 5.79GB on DELL XPS 13 2015. However it gets stuck at "Preparing for the upgrade - Please wait" for like 40 minutes already.

2015-07-29_02-47-23.png

Do I have the biggest D(ir)? Measuring in at 6.87 :eek:

installing now

Last edited:
My download directory is 6.41GB under Size and 5.11GB under Size on disk. It contains 17,661 files and 3,591 folders.

However, the installation did not auto-run for me. I had to enter the $Windows directory and run setup. Then I got this error after clicking install now:

Windows was unable to locate required installation file [boot.win]. Verify that the installation is valid, and restart the installation.

Error code: 0x80070002

My download directory is 6.41GB under Size and 5.11GB under Size on disk. It contains 17,661 files and 3,591 folders.

However, the installation did not auto-run for me. I had to enter the $Windows directory and run setup. Then I got this error after clicking install now:

Windows was unable to locate required installation file [boot.win]. Verify that the installation is valid, and restart the installation.

Error code: 0x80070002

Restart your pc. I did it and wait for a minute, then click the Get Windows 10 button again and it gets installed.

Restart your pc. I did it and wait for a minute, then click the Get Windows 10 button again and it gets installed.

I've restarted 3 times now hoping to get it to install. Nothing yet.

Just to clear things up, did you install from the Windows 10 button on the bottom right trey? WHen I click that, I only see the main screen that says "How to get Windows 10 for free!"

1) Reserve
2) Upgrade
3) Enjoy

PC is compatible.

No option to install.

I tried running the setup file from the hidden installation directory again and got the exact same error after restarts.

When I check windows update history, it says that an upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed today.

Just to clear things up, did you install from the Windows 10 button on the bottom right trey? WHen I click that, I only see the main screen that says "How to get Windows 10 for free!"

1) Reserve
2) Upgrade
3) Enjoy

PC is compatible.

No option to install.

I tried running the setup file from the hidden installation directory again and got the exact same error after restarts.

When I check windows update history, it says that an upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed today.

I had a few issues installing but i just finished.

Not all these steps may be required but just do them all:

Delete the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
Restart (optional)
Open windows update (control panel-> windows update ; don't click anything in the WU window)
Open an elevated command prompt
type
Code:
wuauclt.exe /updatenow
now look at the windows update window

and repeat all steps till it works.

1) Reserve
2) Upgrade
3) Enjoy

PC is compatible.

No option to install.

I believe you tried locating the Windows.~BT and ran the set up file? How about locating the GWX file and run every *.exe files you found in there? It should makes the script which is used to scan thru and check the validity of your system runs again. The the upgrade progress should be restarted and up running.

ok MASSIVE issues

start menu WILL NOT OPEN and nor will the notifcations or the display settings

msg about the ap being expired

and then this error
KkvwgZD.jpg

HELP

I had a few issues installing but i just finished.

Not all these steps may be required but just do them all:

Delete the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
Restart (optional)
Open windows update (control panel-> windows update ; don't click anything in the WU window)
Open an elevated command prompt
type
Code:
wuauclt.exe /updatenow
now look at the windows update window

and repeat all steps till it works.

This brings me to a dead end. No more files in SoftwareDistribution\Download.

No more files available for update when I use the wuauclt command on elevated command prompt.

ok MASSIVE issues

start menu WILL NOT OPEN and nor will the notifcations or the display settings

msg about the ap being expired

and then this error
KkvwgZD.jpg

HELP

dont know why your misfortune is funny to me....lol

so eager to install windows 10, then that happens...

did you create a backup?

Worked like a charm, Thanks !

Back