How bad is 1.6+ volts for a venice?

HighwayAssassins

Supreme [H]ardness
Im about this close [ ] to getting to 2.8GHz, but i cant quite make it...and im scared to go to 1.610 volts...should i do it?

Thanks.

PS i did look at eclipse's oc data, and ppl are using 1.6+ volts, but i wasnt sure if that was ok for long term use.

hey man...i dunno thats kinda my question cuz with 1.65v i can get 200mhz more on my overclock an di got water cooling :).....soo i dunno. I would say if the temps are good then go ahed and do it..also if you would be able to scrap some money up if it dies then its a good way to go. For me if my venice dies...i would get te 939 socket opteron...so im waiting till those are available before i torture my venice :).

i'm 1.6v 2.8ghz stable on my venice 3000+... its doing fine, i've even run up to 2835 on 1.63v

if my venice dies its 3800+ x2 toledo core for me.

I put 1.65v to my winchester. The key is heat. What are your full load temps now? If the extra voltage puts you above 55-60c, back it down. I don't like to see anything higher than 55c on my chips.

wadec22 said:
I put 1.65v to my winchester. The key is heat. What are your full load temps now? If the extra voltage puts you above 55-60c, back it down. I don't like to see anything higher than 55c on my chips.

Doesn't overvoltage lower the life of a chip even if it's running at acceptable temps?

Volkum said:
Doesn't overvoltage lower the life of a chip even if it's running at acceptable temps?

Depends on who you ask. Some say voltage shortens cpu life, some say heat lowers cpu life. Actually most will tell you both do :) In any case, in my opinion, heat kills your proc, additional voltage tends to raise the heat of the processor, so in the end, yes voltage kills lifespan, but only because of the additional heat. If you use good cooling that can get your proc to run with more voltage but at the same temps as with the stock cooler/voltage, your life span should be about the same. Again, just my opinion.

Volkum said:
yup....the chip can only take soo much, which is why i overclock on stock voltage now :p and of course save the top clocks with added voltage for special occasions :)

let me ask you this. my Winchester took 1.65v to do 2.6 ghz, my opty 146 takes 1.48v to do 2.7v, the opty runs about ten degrees c warmer, which chip is going to have a shorter life span? :) seriously, i'm curious about opinions here.

Yeehaw I'm pumping 3.00v through my Venice!

No seriously, if you just go in small increments you should be fine. Your CPU won't burn out the second you get to 1.610v. It will be tolerant. You just have to see what is stable.

So i put it to 1.61 and its a no go at 311x9 =2.8...but im currently priming at 2.75 (305x9) on 1.552v according to CPUz while im typing this. I will see how much farther i can get, but it looks like 2.8 is just out of reach, if it takes so much more voltage to raise it 50 MHz i might settle for 2.75...still a kick ass overclock from the stock 1.8GHz!!

HighwayAssassins said:
So i put it to 1.61 and its a no go at 311x9 =2.8...but im currently priming at 2.75 (305x9) on 1.552v according to CPUz while im typing this. I will see how much farther i can get, but it looks like 2.8 is just out of reach, if it takes so much more voltage to raise it 50 MHz i might settle for 2.75...still a kick ass overclock from the stock 1.8GHz!!

mine was 2745 stable on stock hsf, i couldn't hit 2800 very stably at all... water cooling got me up to 2800, but thats pretty much my limit... i'm still trying to go higher but doubt i'll get anymore...

Elysian said:
mine was 2745 stable on stock hsf, i couldn't hit 2800 very stably at all... water cooling got me up to 2800, but thats pretty much my limit... i'm still trying to go higher but doubt i'll get anymore...
Doesnt that suck? Its not like 2.8 verses 2.75 is going to even bench any better, its just a milestone that for some reason you want to get to SOO bad. I remember on my intel rig it was 4.0 GHz, that never happened either :(

Oh well, its a hell of alot better than the 2.2-2.4 GHz i was running on my other board.

Now for another problem- I have OCZ PC3200 Plat. Rev 2 (TCC5) which i think are capable of at least 270...and i can get them right about there with more volts, (at least i could on my DFI nF3 board...) and right now they are at 250...i set them to 3-4-4-10-2T and i just cant seem to get them to hit 270...I've tried the 1.41 bios, the 'TCCD' bios on that bios page, and cant seem to get there...im giving them 2.85v according to bios.

Is it worth investing in an OCZ DDR Booster? It would have to be in a long while though, im broke as shit...so please give me hints on how to get there w/ out ddr booster!!

Back