How are Tv tuners for computers generally?

TehLUEser

Limp Gawd
Hi, so I want to get my parents a new computer and I want to get it from dell (I could build my own but they feel more secure so whatever) and I can buy a tv tuner and remote, so I was thinking I would get that and a Dell 19'' monitor for them. Although my only worry is how are tv tuners usually? How is the picture and is it easy to use? Thanks for any help.

Depends what you get of course; ATI makes some good ones that's for certain. AIW cards are good as well; though I don't know if deal carries them

GonzoP said:
Depends what you get of course; ATI makes some good ones that's for certain. AIW cards are good as well; though I don't know if deal carries them
Please don't get them an AIW. Please.

The two main recommendations are either an ATi 550 based card, or the Hauppauge 150. Either one is in the $50-$80 range, and you'd also need to buy software unless you are getting Windows MCE on the Dell.

Once MCE is set up it's very easy to use, other options for software would be SageTV or BeyondTV.

Look around www.pcalchemy.com for tuners. They have an OEM Ati550 card for $50 right now which is a great deal. They also have bundles of Tuner Card + software which can save you a few dollars.

I'm with the above poster. ATI has really mucked up the driver and the Catalyst control panel for the AIW cards.

Hauppauge cards come with WinTV2000 which is pretty good. It also has a scheduler to schedule when to record stuff, and an interactive TV guide (being able to schedule by clicking on the show) TitanTV.

Back