How are them Gigabyte Radeons

KickAssCop

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Mar 19, 2003
Messages
11,114
So how are they.. worth the upgrade I am looking for.. any overclocking experiences.. just share your info about gigabyte radeon 9800 pro 128 / 256 mb only.. (or maybe an XT too for that matter)

I am looking for a little bit of overclocking the crap outta a gigabyte radeon 9800 pro 128 mb but cant seem to find any overclocking results or reviews for this puppy.. any information will be nice..

basically I want an XT card outta a 9800 pro (minus the 128 mb ram) and also coz I have a nice buyer of my 1 yr old card.. so why not slap a 9800 pro w/ extra 30 bucks and be a tad more future proof.. eh? then maybe later I can slap me a C class northwood and survive this year.. just a thought.. coz my 9700 pro wont do too well for long hours at 9800 pro + speeds!
 
I cant imagine how much bullshit I have read about this card.. eventhough *I KNOW* that it is equipped w/ 2.8 ns samsung ram modules that are on my 9700 pro too.. but guru3d.com states it has 3.3ns modules.. the one you linked to in overclock workbench states.. it has 2 ns ram modules.. where the frig do these people get their information.. :rolleyes:
 
I've a 128meg 9800 pro. It doesn't have ramsinks and the stock cooler is a whiny little bitch. It's the Samsung 2.86ns RAM. I'd give you the part number, but I don't feel like opening my box at the moment. Aren't all of the 9800 pros supposed to have the faster RAM? I thought it was only on the non-pros that you had to watch out for 3.3ns RAM.

I'm in a SFF system so I don't really have the best airflow, but I can get it up to 420/360... ramsinks, better cooling and some airflow would probably help.

I really don't see the point in this upgrade. We're talking what, maybe 10% faster? You should save your money and wait for r420/nv40 IMHO.

Are the Gigabytes cheaper than the Saphires right now? They were back when I bought my Gigabyte, but the Saphires are at less than $230...

-dB
 
the fans on these suckers are low quality ... I've got the 9700Pro that overheated because the fan stopped ... this was replaced (via manufacturer's warranty) by a 9800Pro ... just 4 months ago ... and the fan is starting to wobble .... it works great ... but I'm looking for a heatsink/fan replacement now .... :mad:
 
Back
Top