How are the 21" Trinitron monitors?

user001

Weaksauce
I'm thinking of getting a 21" Trinitron monitor from ebay. I don't want to get an FW900 from ebay because the only reputable vendor that sells them is some guy named Lou and people in the FW900 CRT thread are beginning to post negative comments about their monitors and the crappy customer service with that guy.

So far I've come across these monitors...

Dell 21'' Flat Screen Black Trinitron Monitor P1130 max res 1600x1200
SONY E540 21" F.D. TRINITRON Monitor! black max res 1920x1440

Now, I was wondering... do both these monitors have only D-Sub video inputs or do they have VGA as well? I'm kinda expecting VGA since they are Trinitrons. The reason I ask is because my 7800GT only has DVI outpus and VGA converters for the DVI outputs.

Also, what do people think of these monitors?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That p1130's max resolution is a misprint

Here's what it's really capable of: 1920x1440 @ 85 Hz (recommended); 2048x1536 @75 Hz (maximum)

dsub and vga are the exact same thing btw, a dvi to vga converter will work perfectly.

The p1130 is considered "very high end" for home use.

A ton of user feedback for the p1130 and it's clones: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=872849&highlight=p1130

they're actually the same monitor if you study the ads closely, but i'm not 100% sure since i've already spotted one misprint.

But yea, i'd go with the more inexpensive p1130 as long as the merchant has good feedback and the guarantees are up to snuff, read the fine print closely.

Mitsubishi 22" (20" viewable), 24mm dot pitch $150 shipped total: http://www.azatek.com/details.asp?iid=607

Though i think the p1130 "may" have an edge on it.

edit: btw, dvi gets converted to analog on crt's anyway, so it's not really digital, and you're relying on the quality of the monitors converter.

edit: i'm nearly positive the p1130 has dvi inputs also, it ought to say in that huge thread i linked..

Yeah I think I'll go with the Dell.

The Dell has a DVI input right?

edit: btw, dvi gets converted to analog on crt's anyway, so it's not really digital, and you're relying on the quality of the monitors converter.

Oh... is it still better than VGA or is VGA better in this case?

user001 said:
Yeah I think I'll go with the Dell.

The Dell has a DVI input right?

Oh... is it still better than VGA or is VGA better in this case?
Pretty sure the p1130 has dvi inputs but check the thread to be 100% sure. As for which input has higher quality, only one way to find out ;) :D

it would have both dvi and vga btw, just not 100% sure if it has dvi.

Monitors *usually* come with a vga cable, maybe call them to find out for sure.

But that other vga cable is real inexpensive and looks pretty thick, you can always buy it so you can compare it to the stock one. Make sure they don't rape you on shipping for a silly vga cable though.

lol

Alright, looks like I'll be getting one in a few days. I kinda wanted a black one but I figured that if I got this monitor that it would match with my Antect P180 case.

I have several of them, awesome monitors. Mine are HP and Compaq branded (P1100's), the Compaqs have a little edge over the others since many of them have built in light sensors that can adjust the brightness to how much light is in the room, and a USB hub built into the base if that is handy for you. But they all look the same image wise, so it's really whichever case you prefer.

Some of them have DVI and VGA inputs (my HP P1100 has dual-link), but theres no advantage to use DVI on them since it uses the P&D analog version, so you get no image improvement, all it adds is the ability to carry sound, USB & firewire signals to and from the monitor.

i posted this deal a few months back. It's a NEW/oem-brownbox HP version of the p1130.

$320 shipped with a stated 12month warranty. Not sure what sort of warranty that ebay reseller is offering (?).

Prices are nearly the same when you factor in the ebay/paypal coupon though.

Hmmm... out of preference... which one would you buy? The Dell or the HP one?

Both have the same specs right?

Yes it's definitely the same monitor, specs and everything, googled the HP just to be sure.

Personally...I'd go for the HP w/12 month warranty. In my view crt's have occasional issues and a warranty is nice to fall back on, especially for doa's.

The HP merchant has a good RR rating to boot.

Good luck either way.

The Dell one is like $13 cheaper though.

Hmmm.... now I can't decide :(

The HP one looks like it is pearl white. I wonder if the Dell one is pearl white too. It may be the lighting that makes it not seem as bright as the HP one.

Nevermind the Dell one is as white as the HP one.

I had a Dell P1130 at my previous job. The inputs are dual HD15. That, the size, and the reasonably clear text were the only things I really liked about it. I also had an NEC FE1250+ on my desk, and it pretty much blew the P1130 away, particularly on black levels. With both monitors turned off and placed next to each other the FE1250+ made the P1130 look grey, and that continues when the monitors are on.
Sony made some great CRTs, but the low-mid range Dell models aren't among them.

Well the mitsubishi/Nec's are really nice i'll have to agree, i have one as a spare. It seems though for everyone who prefer's the Nec's, there are three who prefer the trinitron's (i'm guessing here obviously).

Not so sure if the p1130 is a "low-range" consumer model considering it's excellent specs. Though i admit in practice excellent specs doesn't always translate into excellent image quality.

OP, if you're unsure then maybe do a tad more research before you commit. You'll be digging up a lot of threads from 2002 but at least you'll make a more informed decision.

anybody else have some feedback?

SJetski71 said:
Not so sure if the p1130 is a "low-range" consumer model considering it's excellent specs. Though i admit in practice excellent specs doesn't always translate into excellent image quality.
It was plenty sharp, geometry was pretty good, etc. I actually wouldn't call it a "consumer" monitor. It's more of an office monitor. It does quite well for running office apps & the programming job I was using it for.
At the time I speced out my system at that job it was one of the cheaper 21" AG screens available. The NEC looked a lot better and cost more too. We also had a pile of 19" Dell trinitrons (also Sony tubes) around the office, and they didn't have the black issue.
The P1130 is a decent screen, I just think there are better models out there, including other Sony models.

I will soon have my HP P1130 (rebadged Sony Trinitron) for sale. It was manufacturered in May 2003. If anyone is intersted, let me know. It is in pristine condition (just one minor buff on the top of the plastic).

I ran it at 1600 x 1200 @ 100Hz and it has been wonderful. It also has 2 vga (D-sub) inputs

VGA is like component cables for high definition right?

Oh and ummm... these 21" Trinitron monitors... they support high def right?

The 21" Dell Trinitron I am using right now has served me very well.
Bought it with my 1st computer, a Dell Dimension, back in 1998 and it's still going strong (touch wood for luck ;) ).

With that said I have been seriously thinking about buying a flat panel so I can get my desk back.
The Trinitron is so freakin' HUGE.

user001 said:
VGA is like component cables for high definition right?

Oh and ummm... these 21" Trinitron monitors... they support high def right?
Yes, sorta, nearly positive that vga has the edge on component though, so all's well and good there. The minimum for high definition is 1280x720p, so all these crt monitors we're discussing handle that without breaking a sweat ;).

user001 said:
Woah, can anyone tell me what Diamondtrons are?
They're a mitsubishi brand. Pretty sure they're partners with NEC when it comes to display products as i often see them advertised as "nec/mitsubishi". There's a good chance mitsubishi displays are just rebadged NEC's, which is a very good thing.

replied to your pm.

BTW, i can't tell what color base the HP p1130 has. When i flash up the contrast it appears as some sort of blue/dark grey variant but i'm not 100% sure.

gssethi said:
I will soon have my HP P1130 (rebadged Sony Trinitron) for sale. It was manufacturered in May 2003. If anyone is intersted, let me know. It is in pristine condition (just one minor buff on the top of the plastic).

I ran it at 1600 x 1200 @ 100Hz and it has been wonderful. It also has 2 vga (D-sub) inputs

what khz does it have at 1600x1200 @ 100hz?

iori yagami said:
what khz does it have at 1600x1200 @ 100hz?

what do you mean by khz ? Sorry, I am not that good when it comes to terminology for monitors.

gssethi said:
what do you mean by khz ? Sorry, I am not that good when it comes to terminology for monitors.

i dont know what it means.. all i know is mine is at 127 something and im wondering if thats normal :D

I got the HP one I love it picked it up new whicked cheap like 6 months ago, I forgot the site I got it from but they still selling trinitrons brand new. What made me buy the HP was it was one of the cheapest and it had a dual inputs which means I could skimp on my KVM (which cant handle the resolutions im running at)

I just picked up a P1130 locally via Craigslist for 75 bucks. I just set it up and it's still razor sharp and solid. I can't believe how nice this monitor is compared to my older Gateway 19" monitor. I'm running 1600x1200 at 100 hz.

He threw in another one with two scratches on the screen for another 25 bucks. :p

Back