How are newegg refurb video cards?

shaocaholica

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 9, 2002
Messages
196
Im interested in getting a 9800Pro 256MB from newegg refurbished but I have no idea what I would be getting into. The price seems really good which is why Im cautious.
 
You're taking you're chances with those..."refurb" means that they just put it in a machine to fire it up and make sure it's not dead. If you get lucky and get a perfect card that someone returned just to get something else, it's a good deal.
 
So the newegg refurbs are just returned hardware? Doesn't the hardware have to be "refurbed" and tested by the manufacturer?
 
I've bought several refurbs from newegg and the majority of them had at least one problem or another. I bought a refurbed 9800 pro and it had a lot of problems. I had to underclock it quite a bit for it to display without artifacts. Even then, it would still lock up after a few minutes of playing a game. In my opinion, I wouldn't bother. Chances are you might end up having to send it back and pay a restocking fee. At least that's what I had to do with most of the crap that I bought refurbed.
 
shaocaholica said:
So the newegg refurbs are just returned hardware? Doesn't the hardware have to be "refurbed" and tested by the manufacturer?
I could be wrong but...I don't think those are manufacturer refurbs.
 
I would be careful of refurbs. Unless they come from the manufacturer.
 
darktiger said:
I would be careful of refurbs. Unless they come from the manufacturer.
This is what newegg says:

Newegg.com does not test any product, including refurbished items. Refurbished components are therefore only tested by the original manufacturer. Due to the varying quality of manufacturer testing, YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING REFURBISHED PRODUCTS. Refurbished items are OPEN BOX products that contain components that have previously been owned by other clients and returned to Newegg.com. These products are sold considerably under cost.
 
I got a 9700Pro All in Wonder REFURB from Newegg last summer, May 2003. It still works great even today :)
 
My understanding is that they are returns. I have only purchased one, but I did have to send it back due to artifacting out of the box. You never know though, since some asshats seem to think that (not moddable/not overclockable/tide me over until my preorder ships) are good reasons to send back perfectly good hardware and hurt the retailer.
 
they are just returns.. but they qualify for the same RMA procedure as normal sale items (IIRC)
 
illig said:
they are just returns.. but they qualify for the same RMA procedure as normal sale items (IIRC)

Yep, the only difference I believe is a shorter return period than normal items (14 vs 30?)
 
Back
Top