How are mobile and desktop chips different

the_servicer

2[H]4U
Are all of Intel's mobile processors rated for lower TDP than all of their desktop processors?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm just puzzled when I see Haswell chips rated at 35 W and branded as Core i3 for desktop. What makes the difference these days between "mobile" and "desktop"? Does it have to do with battery power conservation?

What makes the difference these days between "mobile" and "desktop"? Does it have to do with battery power conservation?

The lower frequencies of laptop CPUs allow them to be run at a lower voltage.

So does the voltage of a processor remain constant during use or does voltage fluctuate during use?

Okay, that makes sense. If it's true then I can see how it might mean lower temperatures.

It's lower power draw (thus lower heat output) however not so much lower temperatures. Laptops usually do not have the best cooling so temps can be as high if not higher than desktop chips that use 2 to 5 times (or more) as much power.

Last edited:
Its lower power draw not so much lower temperatures. Laptops usually do not have the best cooling.

When you said voltage, I assumed it has to do with heat. I thought that was the whole reason to use DDR3L memory instead of DDR3: fewer volts and less heat.

Back