How Apple's Revenue Has Changed Since 1997

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Aug 22, 2016.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

Remember back when Apple actually sold computers? Now all they do is sell iPhones and iPads. Look at that graph, Apple sells almost as many iPads as it does desktop and portable computers put together. :eek:

Using two decades worth of 10K reports I reconstructed Apple's revenue by product from 1997 to 2015. It is impossible to go back any further because before 1997 Apple was not required to report revenue segmented by product. In 1997, 76% of Apple's revenue came from just two products: the iMac and the Power Macintosh. Apple has grown exponentially since then, but it is still just as dependent on a couple of products. Today 76% of Apple's revenue comes from the iPhone and iPad.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Quartz-1 and Deadly Ramon like this.
  2. ultimatebob

ultimatebob n00b

That graph seems kind of suspect, considering that the iMac didn't even exist until 1998.

3. Quartz-1

Quartz-1 [H]ardness Supreme

Of better interest might be the second graph on that page:

[​IMG]

4. schizrade

schizrade [H]ardness Supreme

It should probably be labeled referring to the non-powermac units. But yeah, graph fail.

I used to go to MacWorld every year from 1992-1997. The school math and science teachers would have us all traipse down to SF for 2 days and see all the new coolness. And it was all about computers then.

5. thejokker

thejokker Gawd

It seems most of Apple's egg's are in one basket. If Apple fails to maintain iPhone sales than everything could fall apart...

mullet likes this.
  6. schizrade

schizrade [H]ardness Supreme

Not with the power of the UFO HQ building... The remains of Jobs will be resurrected in the center as it channels the RDF Singularity.

7. ButtonPuncher

ButtonPuncher Limp Gawd

That explains why they don't care about updating the hardware in their computer lineup. No financial incentive to do so.

BP

8. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

So is that just hardware? Because I'd suspect their cut of EVERY iTunes download would dwarf all the hardware sales combined.

9. jcollett69

jcollett69 Limp Gawd

I would dispute this statement as iTunes revenue should fall under either SERVICES or OTHER PRODUCTS and neither of those is anywhere near the size of the iPhone on the revenue graph. I'd be really worried if I was holding Apple stock as all the Steve Job ideas are now played out into the marketplace with no real innovations coming out of Cupertino lately. With the cuts at Cisco, we can see hardware companies are struggling regardless of past performance. Services are where the money is in the near future and Apple just isn't being a big player IMHO.

10. pxc

pxc [H]ard as it Gets

Mac sales seemed to have peaked in 2014. The total revenues chart shows pretty impressive sales. Even a modest chunk of sales like iPad in 2015 exceeded Apple's sales of any year between 1997 and ~2004/2005.

11. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

You very well might be right, a quick google shows they made $16B from iTunes in 2013 which seems to match up with the graph. But holy shit $100B from iPhones? If you count them as $700 each that's about 150M phones in a year, which is a bit more than they actually sell IIRC.

12. daglesj

daglesj [H]ardness Supreme

They so want to dump Mac. It's a millstone.

13. Quix

Quix 2[H]4U

This is why Apple doesn't care about releasing new Mac Models or making any serious changes to OS, they're happy just to let the line coast.