How about solid copper tubing in a liquid cooling system?

ekidhardt

n00b
Ok ok so I had this idea..

Some years ago a 6 inch iron pipe froze solid and broke when it melted bringing down much of the copper piping in my house. Of course, I learned how to do all the work to fix it again. Long story short, I'm a decent plumber!

So then I was thinking, what if I copper piped all the hoses in my computer? My water kit is about to arrive, but with such a small diameter, actually, I think they have flex-pipe, bendable copper pipes at the depot.

so! the question..good idea? copper conducts heat extremely well yes yes due to electron transfer and all that--but anyway..so any thoughts? Does the water really heat up enough that this would be useful?

Thanks!

E

yea it would work but i would think that theres too much restriction do to all the 90 degree bends it will have

The copper flex tubing should take care of that, it bends like a plastic pipe--can't do loops, or maybe it can, but ..hmm

also, hey ...what if I attached this to the plumbing in my house...thats some water pressure..hmmmm......

E

I think you have something here. Use you pc water cooling to heat water so you can dump your water heater!!!

If you want hotter water, just overclock your system more.......

I really think he has something here.

lol! using water from the house? you wouldnt need a rad and you would have a 0 dba system!

limescale would break the system though so dont do it if you live in a hardwater area
thats the best idea ive heard since using a lightsaber to cut and toast bread simultaneously though
i also had the idea of putting the rad from a wc system in a stream or attached to a houses plumbing so effectively its a water cooled rad.

There is a thread around here somewhere that shows how a guy plumbed his swimming pool into his w/c loop at home.. pretty interesting read..

When I have a minute I'll look around and see if I can dig it up... it's in this forum somewhere.

EDIT.... I found it.. here it is.

I know somebody who uses the old heating pump in his basement to watercool his computer on the groundfloor.

Copperpiping is an extremely good idea and you can make cirkels as well with the right bendable copperpipe (Often with the extra plastic outside makes bending even more secure) but people often don't want to spend their time on the handycraftst.

So if you have the time and the skill...go for it!

Guys, Wait a minute, hes talking about using copper tubing in place of plastic tubing.

Hes not looking to use tap water to cool his PC. Personally I would say go for it, it would be a unique look, as well as provide a tiny bit extra cooling when fans blow over the copper tubes. Perhaps giving you perhaps better temps as well

You can rempve the plastic after the bending anywayz.

But yourright you don't have to use this kind but maybe some of the coppertube types only can be bought in this way....PRO: Easy bending also by hand without damaging the copperpipe itself.

NEG: You have to get rid of this plastic outside (So cooper easy bending pipe thin with plastic cover).

Doesn't copper rust?

Nope, it doesn't rust. It tarnishes (turns green) ala Statue of Liberty. Imagine that thing was originally shiney copper hah.

But, OP, really... I was planning on making an entire case out of copper tubing and elbows (lots of bends and turns) and running my water through it sans radiator.

I did a bit of math to find the flat surface of the OD of a copper tube... and in a foot of 1/2 pipe, you've got something like 24" of surface area... That bendable stuff comes at a maximum of 3/8", which would literally cut this figure down to 15" per linear foot. Not very much if you ask me. An average double radiator should have something like 600 square inches... A thicker radiator (ala Thermochill) would have closer to 800.

It's just not worth it unless you're going to have like 20' of tubing in the loop, like my case would have.

This Radiator cost around 90 Euro's
- 3 row of 60 row tubes (The water goes in 3 rows of 20tubes=60tubes at the same time for low water resistance)
- 24 meters coppertube
- 3,5 m2 metal
- 1/4" screwable
- measurement 424 x 385 x 54 mm.
- weight: 3,4 kg

2159-2176.gif

....thats what I mean...if you have the time.

so! the question..good idea? copper conducts heat extremely well

If the radiating element for your cooler is inside the case, it won't make make much difference, though it might reduce the efficiency of the rad a tiny bit due to a reduction in the temperature difference between the rad and air.

If the rad is outside your case, you'd want insulated, not conductive piping.

Back