How about another critique my new design thread?

SoRnMaN

Gawd
Ok, so you have seen plenty of them, but I would appreciate input on what you like/dislike on a site I am working on for a customer.

http://www.poetsbilliards.com/

So far it is just the front page (hence rate the design). Working on some other stuff for it now.

Thanks! There are a few things I am not sure about, and may change the orange to a light/medium blue, but waiting on feedback from the owner before making any major design changes.

Thanks for the replies. I decided to switch over to a blue rather than the orange, I think it goes better. blue/yellow/gray/black

Added a few other details, like changing the li's image. Working on the backend now to administer the site. Just wanted to say thanks to the positive reviews so far.

SoRnMaN said:
Thanks for the replies. I decided to switch over to a blue rather than the orange, I think it goes better. blue/yellow/gray/black

Added a few other details, like changing the li's image. Working on the backend now to administer the site. Just wanted to say thanks to the positive reviews so far.

I dont know...I kinda liked the orange better. Did the owner prefer the blue?

I dont really like the yellow against all of the other softer colors. It's up to you obviously, just my input. I would change to something that flows with the other colors more. it looks good otherwise, and that isn't a problem anyways.

bk12321 said:
I dont really like the yellow against all of the other softer colors. It's up to you obviously, just my input. I would change to something that flows with the other colors more. it looks good otherwise, and that isn't a problem anyways.

That's funny, because I was just thinking the same thing. The dark/bold yellow that was there went decent with the orange, but not really the blue, so I have lightened it up some.

maw said:
OK, i'm a little confused. the article states that IE does not support application/xhtml+xml, does that mean those pages will not be viewable in IE? or will IE resort to "quirks" mode when it encounters that content type?

IE will prompt you to save the XHTML document as a file.

doh said:
IE will prompt you to save the XHTML document as a file.

OK, maybe i'm on crack, but i changed some XHTML documents from content type text/html to the correct type using:
Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="application/xhtml+xml; charset=iso-8859-1" />
but it didn't seem to affect the rendering of pages on any browser. I even tried throwing in some malformed markup, but the browsers (IE5+/IE6/Mozilla/Opera) gleefully kicked in their "tag soup" interpretation and rendered everything just fine.

edit: Checking the response headers says they are still being served as text/html.

Am i doing something wrong?

edit #2: no wait, IIS 6.0 was overriding my page settings, i had to set the MIME type in IIS instead of on the page itself...

Hey doh, umm, any experience with FCKeditor? It seems that setting the mime-type breaks the script in Firefox and browsers that support mime types other than text/html. I posted to their SourceForge page about it, hopefully they will have an idea. Maybe it has to do with the iframe, not sure.

However, I have narrowed the issue down to the mime-type, as commenting out the function causes the page to load correctly. Took me a while of just going through my page and removing stuff to find it, heh. Kind of strange that it just causes a javascript error though.

Nice and clear layout, but there was one thing I was hoping for while browsing the site.

When I go to the gallery and click a photo, I would like to have a direct link to the next pic.Also, it would be nice if the pick was directly centered on screen so I don't have to scroll down to it.

Thanks, yes, I am still working on the photo gallery and already plan to add the features you mentioned to it.

Back