How about a new "Incredible Machine" game?

ScotteusMaximus

Limp Gawd
i would plop down the cash for a physics processor if someone redid TIM with real physics. all the weird rube goldberg devices people make in HL2 and oblivion are cool, but the objects just don't seem to behave right. :shrug:

List of games that would be amazing with a dedicated physics processer in modern times with modern graphics

Mech Warrior
Wing Commander
Tie Figher
(anyone remember that jousting game from the 90's? You rode on a machine and they would explode and you'ld fly into the air etc? I forget the name of it...)
A Stunts game
Stunt Island Airplane sim
Interstate '79
etc

Or imagine a submarine or boat game with physics controlling the waves.

IMO the way PPU's are used now/in the near future is about the lamest possible way they could be used. I guess no one wants to risk making fun games on PC anymore (though Blood Money is really good...)

peacetilence said:
IMO the way PPU's are used now/in the near future is about the lamest possible way they could be used. I guess no one wants to risk making fun games on PC anymore
The problem is that no publisher/developer in their right mind is going to pour time and money into games which rely on a PPU. If you're going to make gameplay dependent on hardware-accelerated physics, you're not taking a risk. You're flushing millions of dollars down the toilet. Targeting a game at a <1% subset of the market is just moronic.

Until PPUs are more widely accepted, any effect they have will be inconsequential to gameplay (ie. physics-based effects, and offloading stuff your CPU can do already).

Back