Hover Hound for FireFox is Officially Released!!!

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
NewZon has now been officially renamed Hover Hound!

Some [H] guys and myself got together and built a browser extension tool that will let you easily find products and compare prices in real time at Amazon while shopping on Newegg. Please give our new FireFox Extension, "NewZon" a try.

This extension was built by BDI LLC, a sister company to HardOCP so we know it is legit. It does not run in the background and snoop all your browsing information, it does not drop big tool bars down into your browser, in fact the only time you will even see our extension icon is when you can use it, and it does not do anything until you tell it to do so. We don't like intrusive crap extensions on our browsers, and likely neither do you.

We built the NewZon extension specifically for the computer hardware enthusiast buying PC parts. It is tailored exactly for our readers.

It makes shopping at Newegg and finding and comparing prices at Amazon as easy as clicking a button or simply hovering over the NewZon button to LIVE CHECK prices in a couple of seconds.

Check out the slides on the NewZon FireFox extension page for a quick rundown of what it can do for you. It is simple yet very effective. And please do not hesitate to give us feedback or share ideas about features you would like to see added.

Find and compare prices for Amazon technology products easily while shopping at Newegg.
Shopping at Newegg has been a staple for the computer enthusiast for years, and comparison shopping those same exact products at Amazon can sometimes be difficult. Built with the computer hardware enthusiast in mind, our NewZon™ extension for Chrome makes comparison shopping products at Amazon while at Newegg.com very simple. NewZon can accomplish this in several ways, while keeping your privacy and browsing experience at the forefront.

1. The NewZon extension will place an “[N]” icon in your add-on bar. ( You may enable the add-on bar in Firefox options or by pressing Ctrl + / ) This icon will stay here while you are browsing Newegg pages and will allow easy access to NewZon options with a right click. Left clicking the [N]™ icon while on Newegg product pages will search for that item at Amazon and open a new browser tab with the product that NewZon finds.

2. NewZon can also add a more accessible NewZon button to your browser that will allow you to search for the product at Amazon as well. This can easily be turned off by the user at any time in the NewZon extension options found by right clicking the [N]™ icon.

3. NewZon Hover for Price™! When you have the NewZon browser button enabled, you can also hover over the button and NewZon will provide a real time price and shipping cost for the item at Amazon. NewZon Hover for Price will also let you know if the real time pricing includes a rebate, be it instant or mail in.

4. For our Amazon Prime members, we allow you to filter NewZon search results to return only those items at Amazon that include Prime Shipping. This will also apply to the NewZon Hover for Price as well.

5. NewZon Cart™! NewZon will also take your entire shopping cart and search for matches and return you to a NewZon Cart Conversion page. From here you can add all matched items in your NewZon cart to your Amazon shopping cart with one click if you wish. Additionally, your NewZon cart link will stay live for 3 months, so you can bookmark this URL and easily refer back to this at any time or share your NewZon Cart with friends.

We also very much value user feedback! While we do our best to not ever mismatch you with a product you are not looking for, we do get one wrong every once in a while. If we do, please simply right click on the NewZon button on the original product page and you can tell us what we have gotten wrong. Once we know that, we can fix the mismatch or any other issue you might be seeing. Thanks for any help, feedback, or ideas for new features you would like to share. The enthusiast computer hardware community has helped shape NewZon tremendously and we are very thankful for this.

NewZon and BD Industries LLC. respect your privacy and have NO access to any of your tab information, browsing information, or any website data besides unencrypted data on newegg.com pages open in your personal browsing window.

Changelog: http://extension.newzon.net/changelog.txt

TRADEMARKS - The company, product, and service names used in NewZon are for identification purposes only. All trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Newegg® is a registered trademark of the Newegg Inc. in the United States and in other countries. Amazon®, Amazon Prime®, and its affiliated Prime logo are registered trademarks of the Amazon.com in the United States and in other countries. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Last edited:
Great! I got the beta version last week, but when I was on Newegg's site, the add-on tried to look up the Amazon price but it just kept searching but never gave an output. I'll update it to ver. 0.11 that's on mozilla.org to see if it resolves it. If it happens again, I can post a screenshot.

Thanks! Installed and looks good. Not sure if you guys could integrate Camelcamelcamel into it as well to show trends or last changed price?

Side note: I just wish amazon had better pricing on 7870/7850s.

Thanks! Installed and looks good. Not sure if you guys could integrate Camelcamelcamel into it as well to show trends or last changed price?

Side note: I just wish amazon had better pricing on 7870/7850s.

We have talked about some of this, as we will have the real time data recorded to actually track it better than some other applications. I am not sure of the actual value of it.

So what do you want to be able to actually do with the data? I am very interested in this answer.

Are there any plans to port this extension over to Chrome? It sounds pretty cool.

EDIT: Doh, I am dumb, didnt see the other thread.. lol.

Just installed this. Will give it a whirl either tonight or tomorrow. Thanks guys :D

trying it right now. this was fast guys! Thanks

aahha this is pretty awesome! Works great!

Last edited:
I went through the video cards at NE and it honestly shocked me to see the Amazon prices frequently $100+ more expensive. I wonder why that is.

I really hate that it's showing the "after rebate" price when hovering over the button. Anyway to prevent that on my end? I don't factor in MIRs when I'm doing builds for people with specific budgets.

Great addon!!! Too bad amazon charges me tax, otherwise I would shop there 24/7.

Keep up the great work!

I went through the video cards at NE and it honestly shocked me to see the Amazon prices frequently $100+ more expensive. I wonder why that is.

Amazon is weak on competitive GPU pricing currently. This is one place it needs to improve. It does however have a decent grasp on the rest of it.

Might want to look into a way to incorporate the commissioned buying links.

Yes.

I really hate that it's showing the "after rebate" price when hovering over the button. Anyway to prevent that on my end? I don't factor in MIRs when I'm doing builds for people with specific budgets.

We did some back and forth on this and decided to show the after rebate price since you most will be looking an MIR price from NE. Yes, it requires you to make a single click to check the rebate specifics. We found this to be the least intrusive method.

I'm interested to give this a try, a I tend to prefer Amazon over NewEgg when prices are equal (thanks to Amazon Prime, and Newegg's slight downward trend in value/low prices/service over the past few years).

Does this addon include any referrals/links/commissions, as such that searching for or purchasing items from Amazon found using it benefits any third party, including those related to [H]? I was very, very disappointed when Ubuntu started embedding their Amazon referral ID into the desktop search lens without informing the public, and worse making it an "opt-out" feature rather than opt in. While I would not object to users being able to check a box (opt-in) and support [H] by allowing their referral ID to be appended, I feel it is horribly bad form to have advertising/referral or other financial benefit for someone other than the users included in such a tool without the public knowing and actively choosing to support/enable it. I'm guessing from the post above this is not the case here, but I just thought I should check.

Choosing full disclosure will ensure plenty of goodwill from the community, privacy and enthusiast alike.

Last edited:
Xaeos, heres a hint, usually when you click on a link on hardforum in the hot deals it pops up a YOU SHOULD BUY THIS AT AMAZON INSTEAD link even when the price is higher.. why do you think that is??

Now I see why the add-on wasn't working for me in Firefox 18.x and 19.0. I also run the Noscript add-on. After I allowed newzon.net, the link worked to check Amazon's pricing. Kyle, you may want to mention that.

Got it installed. I too seem to forget using the buying links. I'm getting better but I'm still not 100%. Something that lets me shop and use them would be great.

Any significant changes to the official release compared to the beta i've been using? Do i need to reinstall it, or am i good to go?

Great Job! Works perfectly and I love it...:). I've been looking for any excuse to move my business from Newegg and this seems like the perfect helper.

Best,

Liquid Cool

At first I thought newzon was just a way to get back at Newegg for messing up with [H]. But the tool is actually quite useful.

I have a hard time finding stuff at amazon, but with Newzon I can "shop" on newegg, find what I need and buy it on amazon. (on [H] commissioned link of course )

A couple of weeks ago I got a 650Ti for a customer, I quickly found it on newegg and then did a search on amazon and bought it. Fast forward last weekend and I used Newzon to get a MSI 650Ti PE for another customer. Fast and easy.

And please keep the after rebate price

Does this addon work for android versions of FireFox? I tried installing it on my tablet but the installer says, "NewZon could not be installed because it is not compatible with FireFox 20.0".

^ I'll soon upgrade my FF to ver. 20 (currently at 19.x) and will report back of Newzon is still compatible with it or not.

^ I'll soon upgrade my FF to ver. 20 (currently at 19.x) and will report back of Newzon is still compatible with it or not.

I confirmed that the Newzon add-on works with FF 20.0. I don't know why it didn't work for Fershlugg.

Here is the NewZon marking opt-out add-on for Firefox users: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/n-opt-out/

Use this add-on if you do not have NewZon installed and do not wish to see any NewZon related marketing / features on HardForum.

This is a tiny add-on that simply pings our server once upon opening your browser with no other permissions.

Here is the NewZon marking opt-out add-on for Firefox users: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/n-opt-out/

Use this add-on if you do not have NewZon installed and do not wish to see any NewZon related marketing / features on HardForum.

This is a tiny add-on that simply pings our server once upon opening your browser with no other permissions.

Not sure if it's just a momentary glitch, but that link isn't working for me. Takes me to a "We're sorry, but we can't find what you're looking for." page on Mozilla's site.

I haven't updated my FF to 21.0 yet but will do so soon. Any issues with NewZon and FF 21.0?

I haven't updated my FF to 21.0 yet but will do so soon. Any issues with NewZon and FF 21.0?

I am not sure we have tested yet, but it SHOULD be fine. Let us know if you see issues.

Back