Hour long preview of COD:BO multiplayer...

Commander FAT

2[H]4U
is up at gamespot.com.

Watched the whole thing. The wager matches look like they will be pretty tense.

One key thing that was let out is that kill streak kills don't count toward more kill streaks. Thank god.

Also the contract system looks to be fun as well.

Think I'll wait until what we see is in the PC release.

Anyway too much info on the screen for my liking; Just junk IMO in my line of sight.
That's CoD I guess.

The PC release is gonna be pretty much the same as the consoles only it'll have something that MW2 should have had, dedicated servers.

What I'd like to know is how will the PC players get the WaW zombie maps.

The PC release is gonna be pretty much the same as the consoles only it'll have something that MW2 should have had, dedicated servers.

honestly with them forcing people to use game servers as a host id rather have p2p hosting. its honestly the lesser of the 2 evils here in the US. in europe and australia game servers host is actually pretty decent.

You honestly think P2P is better than proprietary dedicated servers? From a technical stand point that is just nonsense. If you are all up about principal and shit like that eh...maybe.

I'd rather take the dedis.

Would have been nice if they did open it up to any service provider ala Bad Company 2 but this is way better than the complete flop MW2 was (technically speaking).

If you seriously think you'd rather have a P2P system you may wanna get the Xbox version as there will be a much larger player base along with a lot more people using voice chat.

Its also gonna have mod support from what I remember reading at some point after release. Its gonna be far better balanced as WaW surely is over MW2 and its super perks. I have a lot more faith in Trey than IW when it comes to the MP side of the game.

honestly with them forcing people to use game servers as a host id rather have p2p hosting. its honestly the lesser of the 2 evils here in the US. in europe and australia game servers host is actually pretty decent.

I laughed.

BC2 does this already.. And its fine.

I have no faith in the supposed mod support. What kind of mod support could there possibly be with the dedicated servers being locked out and only being available from ONE SINGLE provider. I predict mod support will either be crippled or a complete flop.

You honestly think P2P is better than proprietary dedicated servers? From a technical stand point that is just nonsense. If you are all up about principal and shit like that eh...maybe.

I'd rather take the dedis.

Would have been nice if they did open it up to any service provider ala Bad Company 2 but this is way better than the complete flop MW2 was (technically speaking).

If you seriously think you'd rather have a P2P system you may wanna get the Xbox version as there will be a much larger player base along with a lot more people using voice chat.

no its not better then "dedicated servers" but it is better then the inconsistent lack of customer support gameserver host that activision is forcing you to use to host a server. its just anti competitive bs on activisions part. basically they are saying. "sure we will give you dedicated hosts. but only with the server host we say you can use". awesome so we get dedicated hosting through 1 provider. which means they have sole control over everything. it also means they can put what ever pricing they want on it. they decide, well we feel like we want more money. ok slot cost goes up. you want a server? you have to pay that price and you cant say a damn thing about it. i just think its retarded.

id like to believe that gameservers actually gives a crap and follows their word saying they are taking it seriously and making sure they can provide the resources needed to be the exclusive server provider. but with their history its hard to trust what they say.

I laughed.

BC2 does this already.. And its fine.

no there are a bunch of server hosts. yes DICE says you can only use this list of hosts, but you still have options. it forces providers to compete with each other on pricing so the prices on player slots don't go nuts. wish they would go back to the old style of hosting. but ET:QW was the last of those games to ever use it with the ranking system. basically they gave you a list of server hosts you could use if you wanted a ranked game. if you didnt want a ranked game you could host the server anywhere you wanted.

Its also gonna have mod support from what I remember reading at some point after release. Its gonna be far better balanced as WaW surely is over MW2 and its super perks. I have a lot more faith in Trey than IW when it comes to the MP side of the game.

mod support would be nice, but im with commander FAT on this one as well since gameservers doesnt give you a real user interface and you have no access to files on the server. it just gives you a web page that allows you to reboot the server or change command line code in the game thats being hosted. i remember when the game devs for MWLL(crysis mod) went through hell trying to get gameservers to allow them to host servers with the mwll mod on crysis.

Last edited:
Withi the pc verison will we have actual servers with ADMINS that can kick/ban cheaters?

That completely ruined MW2 ont he pc for me, so many damn cheaters.

I have no faith in the supposed mod support. What kind of mod support could there possibly be with the dedicated servers being locked out and only being available from ONE SINGLE provider. I predict mod support will either be crippled or a complete flop.

I don't think Trey would announce its support only to offer a half ass version , its not really there style from what previous releases tell us.

Its not the end of the world if the servers are being provided by a single provider , its a bit shady but as long as you can upload the correct mod server files I don't see why not.

Who knows exactly what they have planned but I don't think it'll be half ass.

I won't believe until I see it.
I remember when Rebellion said they'd release mod tools for AvP(3) if the community asked for them, well they did ask and they're still waiting.

So with that - albeit one example like I said.....

Withi the pc verison will we have actual servers with ADMINS that can kick/ban cheaters?

Yes , kinda akin to BFBC2 where there is a rolling PB ban going and admins that can kick and such as they please.

Yes.

In case anyone is interested, I rented a ranked server based in Dallas for Black Ops.

I was on the fence about getting this game until I saw this video. I'm REALLY liking the new unlock/purchase system for weapons and the new game modes. Will definitely purchase this game now.

Okay, can someone please explain why gameservers.com is so bad? Aren't they all basically the same, just computers set up for the sole purpose of hosting games?

no its not better then "dedicated servers" but it is better then the inconsistant lack of customer support gameserver host that activision is forcing you to use to host a server. its just anti competitive bs on activisions part. basically they are saying. "sure we will give you dedicated hosts. but only with the server host we say you can use". awesome so we get dedicated hosting through 1 provider. which means they have sole control over everything. it also means they can put what ever pricing they want on it. they decide, well we feel like we want more money. ok slot cost goes up. you want a server? you have to pay that price and you cant say a damn thing about it. i just think its retarded.

Yeah it's not a fantastic way but I prefer it over P2P. I'm a real technical guy and the thought of having to depend on some guy's home connection for a fun game makes my skin crawl. What if it's some dumb ass kid and his little brother or sister is moving his torrents stream etc etc etc.

I may order up my own server for public consumption and my own entertainment. If it gets too pricey I'll probably just depend on others wanting to foot the bill. There will be a decent amount of "official" servers too.

Josh Olin has updated his Twitter stream with several updates regarding dedicated servers being set up in far off countries, South Africa even. I feel pretty confident that the infrastructure in North America will be more than up to snuff.

Okay, can someone please explain why gameservers.com is so bad? Aren't they all basically the same, just computers set up for the sole purpose of hosting games?

Its not really gameservers.com thats "bad" it just not being able to choose your own server group or host your own on-site connection. It cuts down on choices really.

I don't think Trey would announce its support only to offer a half ass version , its not really there style from what previous releases tell us.

Its not the end of the world if the servers are being provided by a single provider , its a bit shady but as long as you can upload the correct mod server files I don't see why not.

Who knows exactly what they have planned but I don't think it'll be half ass.

Hehe, they announced "PC with dedicated servers guys! DEDICATED SERVERS!" and we got half assed dedi support. So far their track record with Black Ops promises is less than stellar.

Hehe, they announced "PC with dedicated servers guys! DEDICATED SERVERS!" and we got half assed dedi support. So far their track record with Black Ops promises is less than stellar.

And even if thats all it ends up being , it'll still be light years ahead of what MW2 did to its PC users.

I don't have personal experience with them but there have been many complaints floating around of poor customer support etc.

Also with one single provider they have pretty much zero incentive to provide good customer support. Where else can we go? No where. Competition between providers gives them an incentive to one up each other which means we as consumers win. With one provider we basically have to take whatever they give us, force our selves to feel good about it and beg for more.

I'm being very cynical here folks. Game Servers may just be a great service to deal with.

Its not really gameservers.com thats "bad" it just not being able to choose your own server group or host your own on-site connection. It cuts down on choices really.

in the US the problem is bandwidth. what they claim to provide is never what they actually provide. and they tend to oversell the bandwidth available. in europe and australia they dont have that issue. especially australia since the servers are hosted in the same places as most of the aussie ISP backbones are located.

I don't have personal experience with them but there have been many complaints floating around of poor customer support etc.

Also with one single provider they have pretty much zero incentive to provide good customer support. Where else can we go? No where. Competition between providers gives them an incentive to one up each other which means we as consumers win. With one provider we basically have to take whatever they give us, force our selves to feel good about it and beg for more.

I'm being very cynical here folks. Game Servers may just be a great service to deal with.

agree. i really do hope they clean up their act though. i hope activision kicks them in the ass and forces them to. my hope is that in the exclusive contract activision forces them to provide what they claim they can provide or possibly lose the exclusive contract. because if they do then who knows maybe the service will get better all around and not just with the support for COD:BO.

damn i said hope to many times in there but oh well..

I remember someone posting a while back that the price for COD:BO servers was supposed to max at $2/slot. Don't have the post/link handy.

I see no reason to preorder though. Might as well wait to see, it's not like the digital distribution systems will run out of bandwidth.

Anyway, how about we talk about the freaking video? :)

lol i finally stopped watching it 20 minutes in. felt like i was watching COD MW2 with a different skin on it. nothing real exciting about it. that and the guy playing really isnt that good.

It's $15 for a ranked server (18 players max) and $1 a slot for Unranked servers (24 players max).

SO ANYWAY, about that video, doesn't show much we haven't seen before but I'm assuming Nuke Town is the new Shipment/Rust and it looks way better than both of those, so I'm happy.

It's $15 for a ranked server (18 players max) and $1 a slot for Unranked servers (24 players max).

SO ANYWAY, about that video, doesn't show much we haven't seen before but I'm assuming Nuke Town is the new Shipment/Rust and it looks way better than both of those, so I'm happy.

wth.. 24 player servers are unranked only? lame.

Watching it now, and they've already started pimping skins for guns and stuff that you can buy....

Watching the game play doesn't do much for me. A demo or free-play weekend would be great, but will probably never happen.

lol i finally stopped watching it 20 minutes in. felt like i was watching COD MW2 with a different skin on it. nothing real exciting about it. that and the guy playing really isnt that good.

The wager matches were better. Chick playing was much better. But yeah the original guy made me want to snatch the controller out of his hand.

Watching it now, and they've already started pimping skins for guns and stuff that you can buy....

Watching the game play doesn't do much for me. A demo or free-play weekend would be great, but will probably never happen.

Well to be fair, you buy it with COD Points, which is money you earn in-game. Not real life money.

wth.. 24 player servers are unranked only? lame.

You know, after playing tons of 32/50 player matches and then moving on to the 12/18/24 of MW2... I prefer the smaller matches. Any more players and it's an insane clusterfuck, with guaranteed campers in every corner and it becomes a match of which team can spam the most killstreaks.

Well to be fair, you buy it with COD Points, which is money you earn in-game. Not real life money.

You know, after playing tons of 32/50 player matches and then moving on to the 12/18/24 of MW2... I prefer the smaller matches. Any more players and it's an insane clusterfuck, with guaranteed campers in every corner and it becomes a match of which team can spam the most killstreaks.

interesting twist. should keep people a little more interested in the game as long as they keep releasing new stuff to buy with the COD points.

true but i blame that on the insanely small maps they use. try playing an 18 player game on say BFBC2. its hell because of some of the map sizes.

I saw it and the game content looks cool and all but I thought the same thing for MW2.
I'm concerned with ranked servers and their "play lists" and how LAN is to be supported.
If I have a favorite map...will there be the possiblity of ranked 24/7 servers of that map?
Can ranked games have a high score/time limit?
Can ranked servers have only "large" map playlists?

So its not gonna be a day 1 buy for me.

The only FPS I have to look foreward to is:
Rage
HL2:E3
CS:S2 ?
BF3 (less so with Dice's consolized game focus).

You honestly think P2P is better than proprietary dedicated servers? From a technical stand point that is just nonsense.

So consider my situation. Black Ops will have servers in a grand total of 25 cities around the planet. The closest dedicated servers for me will be on another continent. Yes, that's right, another continent. There are no servers in South East Asia at all. Our options will be to connect to servers in Japan, Australia or Europe. The lowest pings I get (out of those 3) are Europe.

Compare that to MW2 P2P where players from this region played with each other with far better pings.

Now tell me which one is better.

In theory, dedis are better than P2P. In practical terms, which offers a better experience to me?

So consider my situation. Black Ops will have servers in a grand total of 25 cities around the planet. The closest dedicated servers for me will be on another continent. Yes, that's right, another continent. There are no servers in South East Asia at all. Our options will be to connect to servers in Japan, Australia or Europe. The lowest pings I get (out of those 3) are Europe.

Compare that to MW2 P2P where players from this region played with each other with far better pings.

Now tell me which one is better.

In theory, dedis are better than P2P. In practical terms, which offers a better experience to me?

I totally agree with you this system is not great. This is another reason why Black Ops dedi implementation is half assed. If other providers were let in on the action you'd have other options. Hell I bet you'd have a provider in your own country. What part of Asia are you located in?

If there is LAN support someone may be able to come up with a way to organize games over a VPN. It will be a logical LAN even though you and the other players are miles apart. A guy I LANed with many years ago did this with the original Halo when it first came out. Worked very well.

Back