Hotfix #2 owned me

supastar1568

Limp Gawd
Yup, "installed" this driver and got the blue screen of death. Now I cant boot into windows. The blue screen showed an error with an ati file, cant remember the extension.

4850 crossfire.

To recover from it, after your PC POSTs, press F8 and use "Last Known Good".
This should roll back the driver update.

Could also press F8 and go into safe mode. I would suggest removing the driver completely and reinstalling it, then try to apply the hotfix once more

nope, cant even get to safe mode or "last known good". I've tried all of the options and every time I get "Windows failed to load because the NLS data is either missing or corrupt"

Bad overclock on the CPU?

Give it a try at stock speeds.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did have an overclock on my e8400 to 3.8 but that tested intelburn, prime small fft, prime blend, memtest, and occt stable. I also tried bringing the cpu down to stock settings to no avail.

Not a big deal to me since I was going to do a re-format with the new WD 640gb drive. In the meantime I will use my Gateway p-6860fx laptop

Thanks for the suggestion. I did have an overclock on my e8400 to 3.8 but that tested intelburn, prime small fft, prime blend, memtest, and occt stable. I also tried bringing the cpu down to stock settings to no avail.

Not a big deal to me since I was going to do a re-format with the new WD 640gb drive. In the meantime I will use my Gateway p-6860fx laptop

It happens. Good thing you can re-format. Next time, I would advise waiting for the official driver release.

Mine didn't BSOD, but it failed to install completely. E8400@ 4.29 :)

nope, cant even get to safe mode or "last known good". I've tried all of the options and every time I get "Windows failed to load because the NLS data is either missing or corrupt"

That sounds like something went wrong with the OS. It wouldn't do that if it was a software problem.

Windows loads itself first, THEN all the drivers. If you can't get to the F8 screen and it's talking about some corrupted/missing data, it means it can't even load the OS to begin with.

Something like a bad graphic driver install couldn't have done that

That sounds like something went wrong with the OS. It wouldn't do that if it was a software problem.

Windows loads itself first, THEN all the drivers. If you can't get to the F8 screen and it's talking about some corrupted/missing data, it means it can't even load the OS to begin with.

Something like a bad graphic driver install couldn't have done that

Yeah, but it was working fine until I went to install the driver. Then i got an error message saying an ati file was corrupt on the Blue Screen (i forget the file type), before booting into windows.

I'm having the same problem on Vista64. Had to reformat my pc lastnight, and tried the hotfix again without CPU OC... and I got BSOD again. I give up :(

Strange thing is that my GPU got a '!' in device manager with error code 43 :S
had to disable one first and install the 8.10 restart, enable 2nd card, restart then crossfire worked. maybe thats the problem... I guess I'll just play farcry2 on the xbox :(

yeah, im gonna wait untill the 8.11 drivers. Hopefully they come out before I get my new hard drive.

Id be pretty upset if I had all of my hardware yet im waiting around for a video driver.

At lteast im not the only one with the problem, crossfire is a love hate relationship.

yeah, im gonna wait untill the 8.11 drivers. Hopefully they come out before I get my new hard drive.

Id be pretty upset if I had all of my hardware yet im waiting around for a video driver.

At lteast im not the only one with the problem, crossfire is a love hate relationship.

Official drive releases and the proper removal of old drivers are key.

Back