Hotel networking question

computadorka

[H]ard|Gawd
I checked into a hotel and they had a big sign that said FREE HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS.

So when I checked in the lady seemed sorof rude and she was explaining me all the rules and gave me a sheet on how to connect to the wireless internet.

So after she was done and before going to my room I ask her so what type of connection does the hotel have to the internet, a T1 or Cable or DSL?

She says emphatically, WIRELESS.
I say, yeah but what... "WIRELESS!", she interrupts me.
I say, I know that but... "WIRELESS!", she interrupts me again.
I then start to chuckle and say, I know what wireless is but the hotel has to connect to the internet by some other type connection.
She finally says "I don't know", Sheeesh!

Anyway my question...is there 2 types of internet, a wireless internet and a wired internet?

They can be on a WISP - Wireless Internet Service Provider. But thats unlikely. Most likely they have a T1. A lot of these places were stupid though when they put in their T1. For a vacation hotel you typically dont need the reliability/expense of a T1, so a lot of them are going to business-class cable. Some of the more expensive hotels, and ones that cater to business customers, use T1's or business DSL because their customers with big accounts complain like little babies if their employees cant access the 'net from the comfort of their hotel bed.

Dont bother asking about the internet connection, 90% of the people that work there dont know/dont care, and if it breaks they care even less.

By the way, hotel networks are a huge point of infection, it's like connecting your laptop to viral breeding ground at some places, make sure you use a good personal firewall and antivirus.

Back