Hot: Verizon FiOS internet service 5mb/2mb - $34.99/mo, free install

From the FiOS FAQ:

1. Can I host a Web page?
Verizon FiOS Internet Service consumer packages include 10 MB of personal Web space. The consumer offers do not permit customers to host any type of server, personal or commercial.

Looks as if they're up-front about not wanting you to run web servers from your house. Don't be surprised if it's outright blocked like some have reported here. And for those that have it currently working, don't be surprised if they eventually shut off port 80 once the local techs realized they forgot to lock it down when they set it up :)

Even with that being blocked, I still think it's a great deal. I'm paying $57 for Adelphia's 6/2 plan. While I'm extremely happy with the speed and reliability of it, It's a touch higher than I'd like to pay, and I'm very disappointed with the TV part of their service. FiOS would allow me to ditch them completely, and go with one of the satellite TV providers instead (and save money too!).

They list Ohio as 'future deployment'. I live pretty close to Cleveland - hopefully I'll be within their coverage area when it comes out.

Thanks OP for the heads up!

Spazilton said:
When I was in Virginia Beach

Cox was 5Mbit/2Mbit for $39.99
15Mbit/2Mbit for 54.99

Had no problem getting those speeds 24/7.

This was back in September of last year.

They did a massive up on the bandwidth to beat Verizon to the punch.

Yeah, but I'm still in Virginia Beach.... and Cox just F*cked over customers like me.
They decided to arbitrarilly turn on SPAM filtering on the email server; while it's nice, it also catches a HELL of a lot of legitimate email of mine. I already had a good working email SPAM filter, I don't want to use theres.... but they've put EVERYONE on it, and given no way to turn it off.

I love Cox's speed (most of the time). I hate Cox's new attitude; they are starting to turn into the new AOHELL. Although I do wish they would stop port blocking for 80 and 443 (Damn Code Red is the cause; they didn't do port blocking until that, and didn't REALLY care if you ran a server or not as long as the total bandwidth was low enough). My work filters out non-standard ports, so if my webserver isn't on port 80 or 443, I can't reach it from work.....
:mad:

I can't believe they don't have it in Fairfax, VA. Fairfax is one of the biggest cities in VA.

farscapesg1 said:
I can't believe that they don't have this in the Houston market yet :eek: The largest city in Texas, and nothing.

I was just thinking the same thing. Houston always gets fucked.

I'll vouch for Optimum Online over Verizon FIOS. i've got the triple play package here + boost. It's a VOIP phone ($29.95), a fairly decent digi cable package ($29.95), opt online ($29.95) + Boost ($9.95). Which gives me 30mb/2mb. Let me tell you folks, it's bitchin. Not bein a !!!!!!, but it smokes anything else I've ever had. DL'd an entire cd image in less than 2 minutes.

So my bill is like $130 a month, and that includes cable, phone, net including boost and some extra movie channels. Not bad when I was paying verizon $110 a month for phone and DSL.

holycow.jpg

YAY! "Currently being worked on" in my town.

Been happy with comcast so far, but for same price, FiOS is fantastic.

BB

busta_cap said:
I was just thinking the same thing. Houston always gets fucked.

Considering I live outside of Houston (in between Conroe and Magnolia), I doubt it will ever be available for me. My only option for cable internet is Time Warner and their upload speed blows :mad:

I think that the 15/2 plan removed the port 80 block. At least, it used to.

T1 is 1.5mbit both ways. normal cable depends on your area, but 1.5/768 is probably the average.

I want FiOS but it's not in my area. You'd think the 4th largest city in the US would have SOMETHING...

misterE said:
I'll vouch for Optimum Online over Verizon FIOS. i've got the triple play package here + boost. It's a VOIP phone ($29.95), a fairly decent digi cable package ($29.95), opt online ($29.95) + Boost ($9.95). Which gives me 30mb/2mb. Let me tell you folks, it's bitchin. Not bein a !!!!!!, but it smokes anything else I've ever had. DL'd an entire cd image in less than 2 minutes.
I dont have FIOS so Im not a !!!!!!.:) but so far everything I have read from the users is that the speed is great but the latency is even better..thats something that the cable companys have not been able to deliver so far.....most users that
have switched from cable, even those that had the OOL boost package, say that there game pings went from a ~80-~125 average to a ~10-~30 average,,,,,,

DragonNOA1 said:
They block port 80 if I'm not mistaken.

Wait, wait, wait. So are you saying that I can't host a UT2004 server because they block port 80? :eek: :mad:

Crosshairs said:
I dont have FIOS so Im not a !!!!!!.:) but so far everything I have read from the users is that the speed is great but the latency is even better..thats something that the cable companys have not been able to deliver so far.....most users that
have switched from cable, even those that had the OOL boost package, say that there game pings went from a ~80-~125 average to a ~10-~30 average,,,,,,

Yeah, my CSS pings went from ~100 or so on most servers down to ~10-20 for most servers. h2 runs excellent on xbl too.

ajm786 said:
Wait, wait, wait. So are you saying that I can't host a UT2004 server because they block port 80? :eek: :mad:

I don't believe ut04 utilizes port 80 (HTTP).. but I suppose I could be mistaken?

Oh4Sh0 said:
Yeah, my CSS pings went from ~100 or so on most servers down to ~10-20 for most servers. h2 runs excellent on xbl too.

Thats gotta be sweet..........:) :)
I hope they wire my area one day, but Im pretty rural, so Im guesing its gonna be a long wait...Im on a 10/1 cable connection, but I would switch in a heartbeat..:)

ajm786 said:

UT2004 doesn't use port 80. When are you hosting?

arcturus said:
UT2004 doesn't use port 80. When are you hosting?
He is probably refering the the UT2k4 webmin, which runs on 80 be default. But you can easily change that port.

Uhh I hate living in MI the only half way decent internet provider is Comcast im getting 6mb down 384 up. Is there faster internet connections you guys know of in MI?

Im getting my fios installed on the 22nd of this month can't waitttttttt. I ordered the 15/2 package :D :D:D

Gotta love North Texas <3

NEODARK said:
The best part about FIOS is the upload, cable cannot get close to that. (not yet, only in extremely limited areas with extreme packages for higher price even)

My cable internet service through Cablevision is 15Mb/2Mb for $30/Month and thats standard.

Thay also offer Boost which is 30Mb/2Mb for an additional fee. Not worth it for me

i eat FIOS FOR BREAKFAST!

20Mbps/20Mbps fiber to the home for 1 year now and 10Mbps/10Mbps fiber to the home (FTTH) for 4-5 years before that. Had it for what 5-6 yrs now? o_0 my tv (IPTV HDTV awesome stuff!, phone and internet all run off fiber, one bill, makes it easy and its a good price :D

49.99 for the 20 and 39.99 for the 10, gg promotion :)

Jpitzo said:
no boston. wtf?

im in boston too :) , sucks im stuck on comcast for now. what's up with verizon can't they just give me a estimated date when it will be available.

gonna go make the switch today- they're doing the 20/5 for $45 in my area. I can't let that go any longer.

Back