Hot! Toshiba HD-A3 w/ 7 movies for $100.04

Centauri

2[H]4U
Took the info from HighDefDigest.

CC is advertising the HD-A3 at $149, but it is ringing up in-store for $100.04. I called my local store to verify.

300 and Bourne Identity are in the box, plus the five mail-offs.

Very, very nice deal.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going there now to check.

Make sure you blow past the phone rep and ask for somebody in Home Theater.

I went through the phone girl first and she came back with the price of 'some Toshiba DVD player' that cost $65.

I just picked one up. None were on the floor, but they had some in back. It shows $150 on the web page, but it's ringing up for $100.04 in-store. :D It did come with 300 and Bourne Identity in the box. There's a pretty limited selection of free movies (free movie coupon is near the Toshiba display):

choose one from each category
Category A Aeon Flux / Babel / The Italian Job
Category B The Hulk / Pitch Black / The Thing
Category C Charlie and the Chocolate Factory / Swordfish / Full Metal Jacket
Category D Firewall / The Frighteners / U2: Rattle and Hum
Category E Black Rain / Darkman / Troy

Category D <shakes head at bad selection>

I wish either one of these would do 1080P. :(

I guess I could go with the HDA20 for $180..... Nevermind - it's not available in my area and they won't ship it...

Might have to just get the HD-A3. Damn I wish it would do 1080P.

If you have a half way decent 1080p HDTV, it will de-interlace the signal back to 1080p without a loss in quality. (only applies to 1080i hd dvd models)

As I said, the A30 is $149.99. And it certainly does do 1080p.

I don't get where the lure is with 1080p. There is little to no difference between it and 1080i unless your TV is the size of a house.

little to no difference between 1080i60 and 1080p60. Definitely a difference between those and 1080p24 if your display accommodates it.

Actually, 1080i60 is the equivalent of 1080p30 when it is deinterlaced. This is what the TV does with the 1080i60 signal from the player, and bit for bit equivalent to the 1080p movie on the disk. The only difference is the signal the player is outputting. From there since the movies are mostly 24fps, it does the proper pulldown.

I don't get where the lure is with 1080p. There is little to no difference between it and 1080i unless your TV is the size of a house.

In my case it's going on a 60" 1080P LG plasma TV so there will be a difference....

As I said, the A30 is $149.99. And it certainly does do 1080p.

Not according to the specs listed on Circuit City's website.

"High definition playback delivers 720p/1080i resolution at a transfer rate higher than DVD or even HDTV, resulting in a more detailed, realistic picture. You even enjoy films at a 24 frames per second rate, meaning that you play your films back at the speed in which they were originally filmed."

Edit: I checked Best Buy's website and they list it as being 1080P capable. Anyone know for sure which it actually is?

Toshiba says it is 1080p. Pretty sure their specs are the only ones that matter.

Anyone want to buy some laser disks or Betamax stuff as well? I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would rush out to buy any HD-DVD product given the near defunct status of the format... and this is coming from someone who owns a A3!

Anyone want to buy some laser disks or Betamax stuff as well? I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would rush out to buy any HD-DVD product given the near defunct status of the format... and this is coming from someone who owns a A3!
There is still a large HD-DVD library and 2 major (and one minor)studios are still supporting it: Universal, Paramount (incl. Dreamworks) and Weinstein Company. Even Warner isn't dropping support until the end of June. And of course you can still rent HD DVDs online at Netflix. It ain't dead yet, Jim.

And look at the whole deal. You get 7 movies with the player for $100. Even if HD-DVD does die, it's still a decent DVD player.

There is still a large HD-DVD library and 2 major (and one minor)studios are still supporting it: Universal, Paramount (incl. Dreamworks) and Weinstein Company. Even Warner isn't dropping support until the end of June. And of course you can still rent HD DVDs online at Netflix. It ain't dead yet, Jim.

Yet is the key word. I guess I don't understand why someone would want to start investing in a format that is almost a footnote in the format history books. Yes there is some limited support for HD-DVD today, but you'd have to be kidding yourself to think it's going to be relivent come 3rd or 4th quarter of 2008. The war is over and HD-DVD lost, the ship is sinking quickly. Notice the fire sales listed here? These things are going to get cheaper and cheaper as Toshiba and the B&M's clear the remaining inventory.

I could see if the software was very cheap, but it's not... and when it does get cheap it will be for a reason, because the format is DEAD! Buying one of these players just for an upcoverting player is certainly no bargin either...

Just my two cents (having lived through, and bought into, the LD & Beta formats).

It's nice to say you get all those free movies and all, but IMHO there's really only 1 movie worth a damn on that list - FMJ.

this shows as $149 when you got to checkout on the online store. b & m only? is there a code maybe for online?

As stated several times it's in-store only. I think it's nationwide. Worked at my location. I picked up the last hd-a3 there and some douche and his wife buying a BR player felt compelled to comment on how I was wasting my money buying something obsolete. Well they're welcome to their $800 POS BR player. I've got a dual-format drive hooked to my computer that outputs hdmi and does a better job than either the worthless BR players or the HD DVD players.

If anyone wants this at price, minus the two movies it came with (but with upc/receipt) LMK.

just went and picked one up. My present dvd player is 6yrs old and starting to pause/skip a lot lately.

They didnt have them on the floor like was said earlier. I had to ask them if they had any in back. The person went back once and said no...I had to say that a friend came in earlier and got one...then she went back and "found" one.

$104 for me...but hey I'm not gonna complain about $4

it looks pretty nice(love the blood splatter on 300). Using it on a mitsubishi 55" that is 5yrs old...so no hdmi, but it does have 1080i so it will work for me untill later this year when I pick up a 72" DLP

Damnit. I just bought a HD-A3 from Bestbuy today for $149 :(

I bought my A3 at BB for $149 this week as well.

And since I ordered online for in-store pickup, they're refusing to price match CC. Assholes.

You know these players are nearly as cheap at Amazon:

A3 is $127
A30 is $156

Free shipping and not tax.

The A30 supports 1080/24p output, that's the one to buy.

Just read this and went to CC. I picked one up and asked the guy to price check. He was suprised when it rang up way cheaper then what the had it advertised for. $107 out the door.

Isnt this a clearence item?

Yes, Circuit City is throwing in the hat for HD-DVD and supporting Blu-Ray only from now on.

Heck I am thinking of picking up the HD-A3, since I don't even have a DVD player for my TV. Damn you Video on Demand. :D

I bought my A3 at BB for $149 this week as well.

And since I ordered online for in-store pickup, they're refusing to price match CC. Assholes.

Return it. BestBuy refused to price match, apply a discount coupon, or add the two hd-dvd's in (that they had advertised at the time I bought my player)... so I simply returned it and went with the CC deal.

Yet is the key word. I guess I don't understand why someone would want to start investing in a format that is almost a footnote in the format history books. Yes there is some limited support for HD-DVD today, but you'd have to be kidding yourself to think it's going to be relivent come 3rd or 4th quarter of 2008. The war is over and HD-DVD lost, the ship is sinking quickly. Notice the fire sales listed here? These things are going to get cheaper and cheaper as Toshiba and the B&M's clear the remaining inventory.

I could see if the software was very cheap, but it's not... and when it does get cheap it will be for a reason, because the format is DEAD! Buying one of these players just for an upcoverting player is certainly no bargin either...

Just my two cents (having lived through, and bought into, the LD & Beta formats).

Two reasons:

1. Netflix - if you have an account, you can rent 500 or so HD-DVD titles, plus upcoming exclusives from Paramount & Universal.

2. Upscaling DVD player - these cheap players are some of the best ones out there.

Reason 3: Buy hundreds of titles from the $5 bin when they decide to close these out. The movies are no different in quality than their Blu-ray counterparts, nor will future re-released titles appearing on Blu-ray that were once HD DVD exclusive.

Reason 4: It won't just magically stop working when HD DVD is "dead".

Get your hot fresh inventory dump. :rolleyes:

All kidding aside you still get an upconverting DVD player when HD-DVD is all done. :p

Return it. BestBuy refused to price match, apply a discount coupon, or add the two hd-dvd's in (that they had advertised at the time I bought my player)... so I simply returned it and went with the CC deal.

Yeah, I'd have done that if it weren't for the fact that I mailed off the UPC from the box for the movie rebate. :-(

Yeah, I'd have done that if it weren't for the fact that I mailed off the UPC from the box for the movie rebate. :-(

You can try it anyways haha. If you can find a newbie person working at customer service maybe they won't notice.

Back