[hot] Toshiba 40" 1080p LCD HDTV $400 AC FS @ Newegg

Just so happens I've been sitting on $400 waiting for a TV deal, maybe this will be the one. Does anyone have any info on the panel(s) and quality of said panel that this TV uses? Google didn't yield me much info, but from the comments I read it *seems* to be a PVA panel. I highly doubt it's an IPS, but I could always be wrong.

edit: argh, my only issue with this is that it's 60hz. If it wasn't for that I would have pulled the trigger instantly. I really want something that can swap between 60 and 120.

Last edited:
OP do you game on yours? How is the input response? So tempted. I can afford it but money is tight and I need to be sure before I pull the trigger.

What is really the huge difference between 60/120/240 hz? I am not into the new TV technology but I am going to have to upgrade my old 36" Tube Monster soon and I better start learning all this.

Another question, if I read this correctly, I can use this as a regular PC monitor but it can also be used as a regular TV? If I already have a 22" monitor, can I also use this TV for watching the same youtube clip that I am watching on my 22" monitor at the same time? Sorry for the Noob questions :D

If this was only a deal from Best Buy with 0% interest and 18 months to pay... I'd buy 2 right now.

I have a 120/60, I only use 120 for sports as it sucks for everything else.

I also have 2 of these Toshiba's = Awesome picture

I just put one in my cart used the code and started going through the checkout so it seems to be working.

My wife uses two (not identical model, one is 2009 or 10 model, one is 2008, but same specs). Great for gaming, but not perfect. If you're highly sensitive to even the tiniest amount of ghosting you should stick to the super expensive PC-targeted flat panels, because these have a tiny bit of ghosting you could notice from time to time. Only game I ever noticed it in was IL2-Sturmovik when there was fast moving objects set against a bright colored sky. It never bothered me, but I did see it occasionally. I loved that screen, though, one of the ones my wife uses was my old hand-me-down when I moved up to sig screen.

I told you deal wouldn't last. I've not seen a 40" HDTV of this quality for 400 ever before this.

For anyone interested, I found this on AVForums while researching the TV. Apparently most Toshiba TV's are a lottery between 6 panels, 3 of them good and 3 of them not so good - but at that price even if you get an inferior one who's complaining? Just cross your fingers for a K, L, or H.

Models after mid-2008.
''S''-> Sharp -> ASV
''К''-> SAMSUNG ->S-PVA
''А''-> AUO ->A-MVA
"C"-> CMO->S-MVA
''L'' ->LG->S-IPS
"H"-> IPS Alpha->IPS-PRO

Last edited:
For anyone interested, I found this on AVForums while researching the TV. Apparently most Toshiba TV's are a lottery between 6 panels, 3 of them good and 3 of them not so good - but at that price even if you get an inferior one who's complaining? Just cross your fingers for a K, L, or H.

Models after mid-2008.
''S''-> Sharp -> ASV
''К''-> SAMSUNG ->S-PVA
''А''-> AUO ->A-MVA
"C"-> CMO->S-MVA
''L'' ->LG->S-IPS
"H"-> IPS Alpha->IPS-PRO

Can you link to the page where you found this info? I have this TV and I am not sure what to look at.

What is really the huge difference between 60/120/240 hz? I am not into the new TV technology but I am going to have to upgrade my old 36" Tube Monster soon and I better start learning all this.

Another question, if I read this correctly, I can use this as a regular PC monitor but it can also be used as a regular TV? If I already have a 22" monitor, can I also use this TV for watching the same youtube clip that I am watching on my 22" monitor at the same time? Sorry for the Noob questions :D

If this was only a deal from Best Buy with 0% interest and 18 months to pay... I'd buy 2 right now.

I bought my first LCD after years with a 36" tube. It was a hot deal listed here 42" for $340 shipped a couple weeks ago. With about any ATI video card you can watch utube on the TV and used the coputer for surfing,etc. But you can do that with your old TV too. For you going from a 36" tube to a 40" LCD really isn't enough of a jump in size to be worth it JMHO you would want at least a 42". I'm pretty sure the picture size non HD on a 40" LCD will be about the same size as the 36" Tube.

What is really the huge difference between 60/120/240 hz?

120hz and higher sets have a feature that processes the image to make it appear smoother, by interpolating frames in between the real frames. For some reason this has become synonymous with the 120hz refresh rate, even though it's optional.

What I would like 120hz for is the ability to show 24hz material (movies) without 3:2 pulldown, by displaying each frame 5 times (5:5 pulldown). However, some sets can't do this.

Back