Hot swapping SATA?

Deadlierchair

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 12, 2003
Messages
1,400
Basically as above...I have 2 SATA drives that are storage drives, both using the SATA power cable and native SATA stuff. What's all this I hear about Serial ATA being hot swappable?
 
Sort of like USB. It means you can plug/unplug the drives while the comp is still on.
I tried that once with a new IDE drive.... let's just say IDEs definately ARE NOT hot swappable :(
 
it seems like a pretty useful feature, but I'd like to see some hotswap enclosures for SATA drives-- plugging and unplugging cables in your computer while it is on does not sound very savory to me.

But then again, it might just be my reflexes-- I've known not to mess with the innards of a computer while its on since I was 4 (no I didn't do anything like mess with a box while it was on-- my dad just told me that)
 
Back
Top