Hot Router on Router Action

DeadlyAura

Supreme [H]ardness
So, basically I'm stuck.

I have a Netgear Router for my house and I have a line run from a Linksys router into my bedroom.

The netgear router sees the router in my bedroom and is assigning an IP to the linksys, but the linksys doesn't have any connectivity to the internet.

I'm assuming that I need to set a new IP for the linksys and have it obtain static IP from the netgear...

Can anyone help me out?

So, basically I'm stuck.

I have a Netgear Router for my house and I have a line run from a Linksys router into my bedroom.

The netgear router sees the router in my bedroom and is assigning an IP to the linksys, but the linksys doesn't have any connectivity to the internet.

I'm assuming that I need to set a new IP for the linksys and have it obtain static IP from the netgear...

Can anyone help me out?

There is likely a *subnet conflict*, especially if the Netgear uses the 192.168.1.x subnet common for home routers.

Simply move the Linksys to a different subnet (since it will be the second router, I recommend 192.168.2.1 for the router itself, and 192.168.2.xxx for its subnet).

I did a similar trick connecting two routers (wired-only WesTell and wireless WRT310N) for a family friend that has DSL (the WesTell is required by VZ, her DSL ISP). The WesTell can serve wired 100 Mbps clients, while the Linksys serves wireless and gigabit wired clients (the wireless clients all use N, not G).

Still seems like a no-go...

How should The router be getting an IP? Statically or Dynamically?

Also, what should my DHCP settings be?

Still seems like a no-go...

How should The router be getting an IP? Statically or Dynamically?

Also, what should my DHCP settings be?

It would be using the first router's DHCP server, and the settings for all clients could be either dynamic or static (just make sure that all static addresses for the second router are in the correct subnet; in the example I gave, I let router #2 assign the IPs via DHCP by leaving its server on, but had router #2 get its own address from router #1; the two routers are connected via a normal, not crossover, cable, LAN of #1/WAN of #2).

Really really easy.

1) Leave the Netgear as the main router.
2) Connect the linksys directly to your PC, nothing else. Log in and give it a new local static address (192.168.1.254).
3) Give your PC a static address (192.168.1.10), turn off the linksys DHCP server and make sure you can still see the router. If so, good. Now set your PC back to DHCP address.
4) Connect the linksys to the netgear using a LAN port. DO NOT USE THE WAN PORT.
5) You should now be getting DHCP address from the netgear and still be able to use the linksys as a AP/Switch.

Netgear ---------- > Cable --------------- > Linksys
(WAN/DHCP/DNS) (NO DHCP/NAT/DNS, Only Static IP, Wifi)

I'm pretty sure you could tell the linksys to obtain its ip automatically as well and the netgear should hand one out to it.

Damn and here I expect to see a WRT54G humping a BEFS411.... this thread fails to deliever!!!!!!

any reason you went with a router over a switch?

^^^
This.

Wired switches are dirt, dirt, dirt cheap. Like, $30 for an 8 port or something. You shouldn't need WiFi from 2 sources, so just go pick up a cheap switch and save yourself the headache.

Damn and here I expect to see a WRT54G humping a BEFS411.... this thread fails to deliever!!!!!!

^^^
This.

Wired switches are dirt, dirt, dirt cheap. Like, $30 for an 8 port or something. You shouldn't need WiFi from 2 sources, so just go pick up a cheap switch and save yourself the headache.

The router was free. Haha.

I'm working off of a 10 Mbit switch at the moment, the router is 100 Mbit so I'd like to switch over to that.

Really really easy.

2) Connect the linksys directly to your PC, nothing else. Log in and give it a new local static address (192.168.1.254).
3) Give your PC a static address (192.168.1.10), turn off the linksys DHCP server and make sure you can still see the router. If so, good. Now set your PC back to DHCP address.
4) Connect the linksys to the netgear using a LAN port. DO NOT USE THE WAN PORT.
5) You should now be getting DHCP address from the netgear and still be able to use the linksys as a AP/Switch.

That is FAR from easy, and requires quite a bit of fiddling with the default settings.

I'm very much from the KISS (Keep It Simple, Son!) school of LAN configuration; why go to the additional configuration steps when simply moving the second router to a *different subnet* is all you need?

Here's the entire configuration plan (in order):

1. With the Netgear up and running (it should remain up and running throughout): disconnect a wired client (this PC will be used to configure the Linksys, and MUST use a wired connection).
2. Power up the Linksys, with the wired PC connected, and log into it. (Linksys' default login for *all* routers is no username, and "admin" as the password; don't change this until you're finished!).
3. Go to the Settings tab; you're only going to make ONE change for now.
4. In the Default Subnet, you should see 192.168.1.(blank); change the 1 to any other number from 2 to 254; then hit the Apply Changes/Save Settings button.
5. Once the changes are applied, using the cable included with the Linksys, connect it to the Netgear (LAN port of the Netgear, preferably the port the wired PC now connected to Linksys USED to use, to the WAN port of the Linksys).
6. Reboot the Linksys; when this is finished, attempt to log into the *Netgear* from the wired connection to the Linksys. (If you can do this, then you should have Internet connectivity; test this by opening a new browser window/tab to your Internet site of choice.) If the tests complete, log out of the Netgear and back into the Linksys to make your password and other changes.

Advantages of this method: with dissimilar routers, you can now assign clients by capability-matching (you don't want clients that support wireless-N or wired gigabit connected to a router that supports only wireless-G and/or 100Mbps, do you?). Further, you can manage both routers from a single PC. Lastly, there's no extra/excess fiddling needed.

Photo0223.jpg

That is FAR from easy, and requires quite a bit of fiddling with the default settings.

I'm very much from the KISS (Keep It Simple, Son!) school of LAN configuration; why go to the additional configuration steps when simply moving the second router to a *different subnet* is all you need?

1. With the Netgear up and running (it should remain up and running throughout): disconnect a wired client (this PC will be used to configure the Linksys, and MUST use a wired connection).
2. Power up the Linksys, with the wired PC connected, and log into it. (Linksys' default login for *all* routers is no username, and "admin" as the password; don't change this until you're finished!).
4. In the Default Subnet, you should see 192.168.1.(blank); change the 1 to any other number from 2 to 254; then hit the Apply Changes/Save Settings button.
5. Once the changes are applied, using the cable included with the Linksys, connect it to the Netgear (LAN port of the Netgear, preferably the port the wired PC now connected to Linksys USED to use, to the WAN port of the Linksys).
6. Reboot the Linksys; when this is finished, attempt to log into the *Netgear* from the wired connection to the Linksys. (If you can do this, then you should have Internet connectivity; test this by opening a new browser window/tab to your Internet site of choice.) If the tests complete, log out of the Netgear and back into the Linksys to make your password and other changes.

Advantages of this method: with dissimilar routers, you can now assign clients by capability-matching (you don't want clients that support wireless-N or wired gigabit connected to a router that supports only wireless-G and/or 100Mbps, do you?). Further, you can manage both routers from a single PC. Lastly, there's no extra/excess fiddling needed.

Im sorry, but double NAT in a private home network where the guy wants to use the 2nd router as basically a switch is just plain stupid. Did you miss the part where he wants to basically use the router as a SWITCH? What happens when he tries to access a shared folder from a pc on the other router. Oh thats right. Nothing. Your "config" still leaves private network traffic blocked by the linksys NAT, the firewall enabled, and a 2nd DHCP server running.

If my instructions are "too hard", try these.

1) Grab Hammer
2) Smash linksys router

There problem solved! :p

No really, just set up the second router like a access point by disabling the DHCP server and changing the routers address to not conflict with the other router. This way the linksys acts as a switch and AP. You can manage both from 1 pc (Which you could NOT from the other fellows setup), Have 2 wireless networks (or just turn it off), and still share files across the network.

God forbid I ask him what version the linksys is and recommend DDWRT/Tomato... :p

:cool:

double-nat is never good. And I'm not sure how the process of setting up a router to act as an AP/switch is difficult. All you have to do is turn off DHCP, not use the WAN port, and change the router's IP address. That's hard? :confused:

Yuppers...don't use WAN/Internet port of the 2nd router..just use it as an extended switch, only use the LAN Port (and AP if it has one)

Really really easy.

double-nat is never good. And I'm not sure how the process of setting up a router to act as an AP/switch is difficult. All you have to do is turn off DHCP, not use the WAN port, and change the router's IP address. That's hard? :confused:

The problems with double-NAT usually involve misconfiguration of the client, not the router (or other PEBKAC errors) or (almost as bad) you have two identical or too-similar routers within each other's ranges (router overlap).

That is largely why I'm not in favor of having similar (and especially not identical) routers daisy-chained; I'd much rather have routers with differing capabilities (better yet, of different brands).

The problem with that has more to do with compatibility of different-brand wireless clients with specific routers (some wireless-N wireless adapters will only connect to specific wireless-N routers; worse, the same is still true with wireless-G); I shudder to think how many times an issue blamed on double-NAT was really due to brand-isms.

The problems with double-NAT usually involve misconfiguration of the client, not the router (or other PEBKAC errors) or (almost as bad) you have two identical or too-similar routers within each other's ranges (router overlap).

That is largely why I'm not in favor of having similar (and especially not identical) routers daisy-chained; I'd much rather have routers with differing capabilities (better yet, of different brands).

The problem with that has more to do with compatibility of different-brand wireless clients with specific routers (some wireless-N wireless adapters will only connect to specific wireless-N routers; worse, the same is still true with wireless-G); I shudder to think how many times an issue blamed on double-NAT was really due to brand-isms.

Still, there is no reason to run double NAT in this situation and isolate the two networks. It is just stupid.

With consumer Wireless Routers, turn off DHCP on the second one, connect the LAN ports together, done. You do not usually have to mess with anything else as all the services are aimed at WAN <-> LAN traffic on the router which will not be applicable on the second router as the WAN is not even plugged in to anything.

It really is that simple and it turns it into a Wireless AP/switch.

Still, there is no reason to run double NAT in this situation and isolate the two networks. It is just stupid.

With consumer Wireless Routers, turn off DHCP on the second one, connect the LAN ports together, done. You do not usually have to mess with anything else as all the services are aimed at WAN <-> LAN traffic on the router which will not be applicable on the second router as the WAN is not even plugged in to anything.

It really is that simple and it turns it into a Wireless AP/switch.

Win.

I've done this. Make sure the one tat is not connect to the internet is a dhcp forwarder, and its IP is not the same as the other, and you should be golden.

Win.

I've done this. Make sure the one tat is not connect to the internet is a dhcp forwarder, and its IP is not the same as the other, and you should be golden.

Most dont even need the DHCP forwarder thing, they will do it automatically. You do need to change the IP though, I forgot to mention that ;)

In any event, it is easy to do and very reliable.

Back