Hot? Radeon Pro Duo, 32GB gddr5 $450 @ Newegg....

Status
Not open for further replies.

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
Link

Edit: Removed review to FIJI Pro Duo as that is the wrong card....

Last edited:
Wrong card.
The review you linked is for the Fiji 8GB HBM Radeon Pro Duo.
The card that is for sale is a Polaris based 32GB Radeon Pro Duo.

A quick Google search doesn't immediately show any review with this card (although I found several news article postings). I guess that shows that it wasn't particularly popular, even amongst work station users.

So far from what I can see people are assessing that the Polaris model is slower than the Fiji model.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/248302-amds-new-radeon-pro-duo-slower-cheaper-predecessor
"This GPU is derived from the Radeon Pro WX 7100, which means it has just 128 texture units instead of Polaris’ 144 TMUs. Total board power is down dramatically, to just 250W total, compared with 350W for last years’ dual Nano solution. There’s no way the new Radeon Pro Duo would outperform last year’s model — the dual Nano solution offered nearly double the cores, twice the ROPs, and twice the texturing performance — but none of that matters if you don’t have enough VRAM on-board to handle workloads. You aren’t going to see performance improvements no matter how powerful the rest of the GPU is.

AMD’s cooling solution for the new Polaris-based Duo is also much simpler than the water cooling loop it used for the Nano-derived variant, and the board is probably significantly cheaper to boot. The Pro Duo was a way for AMD to sell a few more Nano boards and move some development cards, but Polaris is a better fit for the AMD hardware in most systems, and its additional RAM should make VR development easier. Polaris also adds DisplayPort 1.4 and HDMI 2.0b, both features the Nano lacked. The new GPU is expected to ship next month for $999.

With Vega supposedly shipping in the next few months, it’s a little surprising to see AMD pushing a midrange dual GPU rather than waiting for a higher-end variant of its upcoming architecture. One possible explanation is that the Pro Duo is explicitly intended for developers who want to optimize per-eye VR rather than using a single GPU to render first one eye than the other. Vega may not be mature enough yet to support a dual-GPU configuration; such cards do tend to ship well after their single GPU counterparts. And AMD could be planning to refresh the Pro Duo line with either a $1,500 part based on Vega that would ship at the same price as last year’s Nano-derived Pro Duo, or simply to wait another year before it introduces another dual GPU part."

Of course this is a workstation part. So it still might be a really great buy if you aren't looking for a gaming card.

Last edited:
Good catch on the review, thanks.

This seems to be 2 RX 580's that are slightly downclocked core+mem, but have 16G ram on EACH gpu. I was wondering how well this might work for VDI usage, but haven't found anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back