• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

hot-plug SATA?

Tha_Bomb

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 15, 2000
Messages
1,283
Is there a card I can buy for relatively cheap ($50 or less) with hot-plug support? Or is hot-plugging built into the SATA spec? I'm going to get 2 SATA drives with caddies for easy swapping to do backups, and I need to know it's going to be OK if I simply unplug the drive and pop in a new one.
 
Well...how can I do it? What enclosure/controller do I need. And I guess I'll buy 'Cuda V drives, (or 7200.7?) since they are native drives, and will have all the trimmings to fit that title.
 
In truth I havent researched it enough to tell you
or heard of any hotswap implementations here
the few times its been mentioned the results where not too good
Id go dig in the 3ware database personnally and over at promise,
Promise has Sideband Technology and their own hotswap caddies for PATA

basically it need to address all the issues raised in that SCSI Hotswap pdf
 
The mobo i have has 4 sata ports on it

plug them in all the time while the PC is one
First i plug in the data cable then the power adapter

NOTE: you can only use the sata power adapter as it has a few leads that stick out further to ground the drive before any power actually hits it


works just fine :)
 
Back
Top