Hot or not? Mini 9 32GB, 1GB RAM $334 + tax/ship

vsboxerboy

2[H]4U
EDIT $324 not 334

3% cashback using fatwallet cashback...never used this before though...

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=features~mini_laptop_deals

So the low for these deal for these was $200 and for that you got 512 RAM and 4GB HDD. For $99 more, you get 1GB of ram (upgradeable for $50 to 2GB - not a great deal) and a 16GB SSD (upgradeable for $25 to 32GB - just TRY to not check that option).

Other upgrades are $10 to go from the .3 to the 1.3MP webcam and $20 to add bluetooth.

Oh this is the ubuntu version, but I would imagine a lot of us either are planning on running another *ahem* os or have a valid, legal license of XP to use.

So for $124 you get an additional 512MB of RAM and the 32GB SSD which goes for about that price alone...IF you can find them in stock!

Last edited:
Based on the specs I would say the laptop is weak like a nettop.

Well, I don't think it ever was pretending to be a laptop - definitely a netbook cheapie.

Is this a decent netbook? My ladyfriend is looking for a nice one that can "surf the Internet, do word processing, listen to music, and not weight a lot."

How is the battery life on this?

I have a Mini 9. I love it. Battery life is good, I get around 3 hours of active use.

not to thread crap but the asus 1000he runs 7 hours of use (watching movies, wireless) comes with a 160 GB hdd and costs the same.

Anyone know if I can drop in a ddr2 2G dimm?

No Microsoft tax = awesome!

These are popular hackintosh netbooks. Personally I can't do anything in 1024x600.

I would suggest adding bluetooth for $20. If you want to save the USB ports and be able to sync with phones. And I believe people are running OSX on these with good success.

Man, this is tempting. It's really not bad with a 32GB disk, and Ubuntu would be absolutely fine for a netbook - photos, video, web, word processing. Gosh I want one so bad, but I just upgraded to i7 on my workstation.

Still, OP, I think this is a good find. $30 to upgrade to a nice sized SSD is not too shabby. Wish it was the 10" though.

I picked up a Min9 on the DellOutlet.com site about two weeks ago. Solid little device, perfect for Skype (built-in 1.3MP webcam), internet, e-mail, Hulu.com shows, and video files. I got "Braid" running smooth at nearly full screen (800x600). Unit will handle 2GB ram without issue (bought Crucail stick from Newegg for $20 shipped at that time). Overall I like it.

Make your own call about the 1024x600 screen. Also be aware that the "non-letter" keys are a little smaller in width than the "letter" keys.

Back