Hot: Netgear WGT624 Wireless Router - $14.99

SidewinderX

2[H]4U
Outpost has this router (it's a refurb) for $14.99 + shipping.

If you have the corresponding netgear wireless cards it is "108Mbps".

LINKY

good router, nice features and easy to use interface, except has major flaws. The forum for that router is ridden with overheating issues, dropped internet connections, and random bugs.

I have it and it seems to work decently for me, but i have experienced some of the odd issues, however, if paired with a nice cable modem, the issues are very few and far between.

Indeed this is a horrid router. I also have one and I fight with the issues on a seemingly random basis.

>>that router is ridden with overheating issues, dropped internet connections, and random bugs.

Yep, I dumped my WGT624 a while ago. The wireless part of it would just quit working after a few hours/days and I'd have to repower the router to get wireless back. I tried another router that had different issues and am now happily on a WRAP/m0n0wall router. I use a D-Link DI-634M just as a WAP. No more problems! :)

ALso helped a friend with a crappy WGT624. SHe had constant problems with it. I replaced it with a used wireless Linksys and she has been running fine.

Short answer: Stay away from the WGT624. There's a reason they are so cheap now.

I bought this thing back when they were like 80 bux :( I too have had the wireless magically stop working regularly, and internet dropping like every day (that issue has since been fixed with a new firmware). It isnt worth it, get something newer or more reliable. the 108mbps is BS too as far as speed (a teeny bit faster than 54), but the range is pretty good at least (goes first floor to my sisters third floor apartment).

Awful router - I too have gone through all the problems mentioned above.

I have one. It works fine for me after I updated the firmware. One thing that I found is that the firmware updates through the web interface aren't nearly as good/recent as the ones you can download from their website.

>>It works fine for me after I updated the firmware.

Ya mean this one?

"Version 4.2.11 of the WGT624(v1) and WGT624v2 firmware. This is not compatible with WGT624v3. Released Oct. 18, 2005" (from Netgear site)

All of the problems I had with both of them (noted above) were with the most recent firmware.
Netgear will never fix these problems, the router is "end of life". Not that they ever did much to fix them anyway. Good to hear yours works, most of the rest of the world seems to have problems with this router.

from what i gather, its not as much a software issue as an overheating problem. I've seen many people complaining of issues mod the router with a fan on top and an air hole, and the problems did not recur.

Pain in the butt i suppose, but a small mod on a $15 router to make it work well isnt too bad a price to pay.

This thing is a POS, I have one and sucks bad, basically everything everybody said. Not worth $15.99 because it doesnt work right.

At staples we have these with the notebook card for 35 dollars I last checked. Check you staples to see if they have any! They are left overs from blackfriday from lastyear.

Im afraid im gonna have to agree here. The router is really unstable. My entire family bought one for their homes.. unfortunately on my suggestion because I had such great luck with the rt314 router from them. We all had the same issues.. random disconnects, wireless dropping, the router reboots (maybe from heat inside the unit, but it was never hot at our homes). Bought a linksys, and all my problems went away.

I got an airlink router(laugh all you want) I bought it 3 years ago and never an issue, maybe once every 6 months I have to unplug the router or modem, but, I paid like 15$ for it and it works great lol...I rma'd 2 netgears to newegg before I bought this one.

This router gave me sooo many headaches. Newegg actually paid me shipping both ways on my refund because this thing was such crud. Overheats, drops connections, sucks, etc.
But it does look nice and has great logging features :)

I bought this refurb at the store this weekend and I use it to bypass the POS Comcast wireless gateway (w00t for crossover cables) and for what I use it for it's fantastic. If I have the same heat problems I'll just have to figure out some way to mod it or I'll just get a refund :p.

You're not alone, sc0tty8, my brother used one for our setup for about 6 months and it worked flawlessly after I sold my Linksys. Airlink's menu's are almost clones of the Linksys. I still love Linksys since my personal non-wireless router has worked great and the wireless worked great before I sold it, but I wouldn't have a problem buying an Airlink after my experience with them.

This router has driven be back to ipcop and a managed switch. I had 2 of them and nothing but dropped connections, daily basis.

Back