HOT! HP Intel Celeron M Processor 410 $399 @ BB

Xerodeluxe

Gawd
If you missed the $400 HP notebook last year on Black Friday now heres your chance! Best buy is selling HP® NEW! Intel® Celeron® M Processor 410 for $399.99 after instant savings.

512MB DDR2 Memory, 60GB Hard Drive, DVD/CD RW Combo Drive and 14" BrightView Widescreen

creamypie said:
.....Intel® Celeron :(

Please dun tell me u expecting a dv1000 series with centrino chip for 400? This is a good deal for even a celeron. The dv1000v is one of the most solid machine that Hp ever made, the built quality is consider above average. This new Celeron processor is more than sufficient to run most daily tasks...

Very good deal! Yonah core, you can put a merom in this.

dscf1023rm4.jpg

dscf1024pe6.jpg

dscf1025kd6.jpg

dscf1026lb5.jpg

dscf1027dt0.jpg

Pros: Very good screen, very good price. SATA hard drive, 945p chipset, remote control, average weight. Media card reader that even supports xd.

Cons: Looks like you can scratch it. RAM slots are both filled with 256 each. Bloatware, of course. Uncomfortable keyboard/body when laying down with it.

Was just at a local BB. Seems it's only a B&M deal. Very nice lappy for the money.

onetouch40 said:
Please dun tell me u expecting a dv1000 series with centrino chip for 400? This is a good deal for even a celeron. The dv1000v is one of the most solid machine that Hp ever made, the built quality is consider above average. This new Celeron processor is more than sufficient to run most daily tasks...

Exactly since everyone else is getting rid of their pentium M chips I DO expect this laptop to be just as cheap with a better processor.
Capiche?

This is a sweet deal. I am heading to BB after work to see if there are any left.

Just picked one up today....very happy. The BB here only had six, so go quick if interested.

It also comes with a remote that can control Media Player Classic, and the battery life is quite good. I am getting around 3 hours with hard use!

Wow, I love this thing. I think this is the best deal I've found here at the [H]. It runs DoW (my main LAN game) at 1024x768 with everything set to medium. Only $399 to save myself from hauling my main rig to 75% of the LANS I go to :D . WoW also runs fine with everything set to low. Only con is there was a TON of bloatware to uninstall. It boots up hella fast for a low end laptop once all that's uninstalled though.

This was a great deal.

Reason I say "was" is at least at the Best Buy I work at, we went through the 20ish we had in stock, in under 5 hours.

DriveEuro said:
Psh, sold out around here in just 2-3 hours.

heh, the BB here sold out before the store even openend. There was a line out front, and they did the black friday thing - handing out 13 tickets, one matched to each unit that was in stock.

all gone out here in So Cal at least in OC area. I am hoping more will come in stock. :D

Did this happen to anyone? My brother called BB in Modesto CA to check if they had any and they said they did, but get this, they told him that it wouldn't be the $399 price but some $129 more or so because they are bundling it with some anti-virus stuff.

Don't recall the exact figures. But isn't that illegal? If you came into the store with the ad that says $399 and they refuse to sell it to you without the unmentioned virus bundle that costs more than $100 would be a bate and switch. Maybe that's why they hadn't even been sold out yet.

I don't know what my brother did but he should have ignored that call and went down there anyway and asked for it and if they did try it then he should raise hell because that isn't right.

Kind of reminds me how on the Xbox 360 launch people waited in line for the advertised price and were being forced to buy the 360 expensive bundles they created instore

TimothyB said:
Did this happen to anyone? My brother called BB in Modesto CA to check if they had any and they said they did, but get this, they told him that it wouldn't be the $399 price but some $129 more or so because they are bundling it with some anti-virus stuff.

Don't recall the exact figures. But isn't that illegal? If you came into the store with the ad that says $399 and they refuse to sell it to you without the unmentioned virus bundle that costs more than $100 would be a bate and switch. Maybe that's why they hadn't even been sold out yet.

I don't know what my brother did but he should have ignored that call and went down there anyway and asked for it and if they did try it then he should raise hell because that isn't right.

Kind of reminds me how on the Xbox 360 launch people waited in line for the advertised price and were being forced to buy the 360 expensive bundles

It didn't happen this time at the stores here, but it's not illegal...here is why...
Each store is required to sell a certain amount at that price. In this case it was 6. The ad (fine print) says minimum 6 per store, so once those 6 are gone, they can bundle up the remaining ones with whatever they want, and legally sell them with those attachments, since the required 6 were already sold at that sale price.
It happens quite often with BB.
Also, the $129 price you are referring to is for a "1-2-3 Pack" - Antivirus + Antispyware + System Tuneup.

Same thing did happen with the xbox 360, once the minimum amount of units were sold, they can technically bundle the rest however they want,

Vile said:
It didn't happen this time at the stores here, but it's not illegal...here is why...
Each store is required to sell a certain amount at that price. In this case it was 6. The ad (fine print) says minimum 6 per store, so once those 6 are gone, they can bundle up the remaining ones with whatever they want, and legally sell them with those attachments, since the required 6 were already sold at that sale price.
It happens quite often with BB.
Also, the $129 price you are referring to is for a "1-2-3 Pack" - Antivirus + Antispyware + System Tuneup.

Same thing did happen with the xbox 360, once the minimum amount of units were sold, they can technically bundle the rest however they want,

So does "Minimum 6 per store" basically mean like a car dealers ad saying "Only model 1 at this price"

But to me, minimum 6 per store is more of a guarantee of atleast 6 but possibly more depending on the store. So if you get there and they have it instock and you have the ad in your hand I don't see how they can say you have to go through the 1-2-3 crud as the ad didn't say "only 6 at that price", the ad said there would be atleast 6 at the store as minimum "stock". If the ad said "Minimum of 6 at this price", then I think this scam has merit

TimothyB said:
So does "Minimum 6 per store" basically mean like a car dealers ad saying "Only model 1 at this price"

But to me, minimum 6 per store is more of a guarantee of atleast 6 but possibly more depending on the store. So if you get there and they have it instock and you have the ad in your hand I don't see how they can say you have to go through the 1-2-3 crud as the ad didn't say "only 6 at that price", the ad said there would be atleast 6 at the store as minimum "stock". If the ad said "Minimum of 6 at this price", then I think this scam has merit

Basically yeah.They are required to sell the amount stated in the ad, but after that point they can do whatever the hell they want, in terms of packages unfortunately.

The best thing to do in these cases is get there early, and be one of the first x customers so you are guaranteed one at that price.
If you go there with an ad in your hand and are among the first to buy it then the must give it to you at the sale price no questions asked. If you make it late, and the required amount at the sale price is sold then they can bundle whatever they want with it since the required amount has already been sold.

So the "minimum" does guarantee your store will have at least that many, but whatever happens after that is a store by store thing, and each store is able to bundle it however they want (123, restore dics, etc)

I'm not saying I agree with this crap, just saying that it's something all to common with BB ;)

bbylaptophr8.jpg

I should point out that while that's technically correct, Best Buy kinda tries to be a bit more honest then that. And if you actually ran into a store doing that, I would ask to speak with the manager pronto, and if that didn't work, get the number for District. Best Buy keeps harping on "building a relationship with the customer", an that doesn't mean doing shady shit like that.

Seriously underhanded and shady crap like that.

Didn't Best Buy also have a huge backlash for the Bundle deals they had with the Xbox 360. if I rememebr correctly there were some managers that got fired and a whole lot of bad press over it, not to mention some threats of law suites from the states that were involved.

Diablo2K said:
Didn't Best Buy also have a huge backlash for the Bundle deals they had with the Xbox 360. if I rememebr correctly there were some managers that got fired and a whole lot of bad press over it, not to mention some threats of law suites from the states that were involved.

that and the day after thanksgiving bundles they forced people to buy...

i doubt you find too many stores doing that anymore, people did get fired

While I was in line to get mine, a woman asked me if she should pay the $29 for the latest updates to her computer. I told her, of course, that hp offers automatic upgrades and windows will update itself. She then bought the computer without this package.

After buying mine, the owner was next to the teller and told me not to "do that". I said I could do whatever I feel like and he REALLY didn't like that. What an asshole. Should I call main office and complain? :)

Boltaction said:
While I was in line to get mine, a woman asked me if she should pay the $29 for the latest updates to her computer. I told her, of course, that hp offers automatic upgrades and windows will update itself. She then bought the computer without this package.

Then again, she probably doesn't have any firewall protection and he got a virus, or spyware as soon as she plugged her PC into the internet.. ;)

I bought the last one from the Ann Arbor, MI store... badass!

Thanks for the deal, OP - the laptop is very nice!

Yeah, the updates/anti-virus/anti-spyware/etc isn't for tech-savy people.

It's for the computer illiterate mom/pop/grandma/grandpa that come in.

Just cause it's easy as sin for you to use windows update, doesn't mean your average person can do it.

I work at best buy. If someone comes in with a modicum of tech knowledge. I barely offer the Geek Squad services, mainly offering them to people who don't want to deal with it, if their tech savvy.

If they're not. I offer it. Not because I'm out to rip them off, but because they won't do it, don't understand it, and many are frightened of their computers, and I'd rather get them to spend 130$ more, and be updated/protected then tell them "Oh, you can do that yourself", when it's painfully obvious that they don't know how. Just because that's not something you'd do, doesn't make it not a good deal for some people.

And let's be honest, most people who're buying computer stuff at Best Buy fall into one of three types. (1) Computer illiterate, (2) Think their computer smart, but are usually morons, (3) Actually tech-savy people who're just looking/found a good deal. I'll give you two guesses about which two are more common, by a huge margin.

As for the package deal things. Those got a lot of people fired. And if it happened again, like I said earlier, go talk to the store manager, and if that doesn't work, the district manager, as it'll get folks fired again. It's seriously bad mojo.

Today I went into the Best Buy and asked about the laptop, even though I knew pretty much they were all out, and the guy said they were sold out in the first 3hours of opening. I asked about this thing my brother was told that it had to be bought with some program and he responded like no way gave a laugh like that would be crazy to do to people. Maybe my brother heard wrong or it was another employee doing it, but my brother still should have ran down there right away if they had it instock and worried about what he was told later.

Despite this, I atleast like how the stores are tending to do more instant rebates these days. They were getting to crazy with them for a while

TimothyB said:
Despite this, I atleast like how the stores are tending to do more instant rebates these days. They were getting to crazy with them for a while

After enough feedback (complaints :p) BB finally got rid of mail in rebates, and switched to instant rebates. There are still a few MIRs, but 99% of them are all instant now.

Back