• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hot CPU, unsure if damaged.

Methuen

n00b
Joined
Dec 4, 2005
Messages
3
I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ and I've been running it for about a year and a half. It's always been running at 73 degrees celcius but a friend of mine just told me that it's too hot and has taken damages. He says he's going to get it lower for me but I want to know if it took much damage and how I can tell how much damage it has taken. Any ideas?
 
It still works but people are telling me that it's taking damage and probably has taken a lot of damage over the time it's been in use. I'm just worried since this is my only computer.
 
if it still works, its fine. you did likely shorten the life of your processor though, and you should get it cooled down ASAP.
 
Also I know that not all motherboards are created equal when it comes to temperature sensors. My girlfriend's computer has vexed me since the day I built it, because no matter what heatsink I use or how well I clean it and reapply thermal paste, the temps are 50-55 at best and above 70 at worst (Athlon XP like yours). It's troubled me greatly because I don't want her to have any stability problems with it, but I eventually concluded that I've done the best I can temp-wise and as long as prime95 doesn't fail (which it hasn't), it will be okay.

The point is, while it's likely that your processor cooling can be helped, it may not be as bad as it seems. And like the others have said, if you are able to bring the temps down and the processor is still stable (test it with prime95), then you've done the best you can and it should be fine.
 
...wow. That's REALLY hot btw. My 3200xp runs around 56C in the summer and it gets me all worried.
 
yeah if it works its fine...

you need a new HS for sure though.

gl

 
WOW, my xp 2800+ is oc'ed to 3200+ speeds and it does not reach past 48-49C in the summer. The heatsink i have on it is just a stupid OEM coolermaster (i think that is the brand) one, one of those hella cheap crappy heatsinks. THere has got to be something wrong, in your case.
 
Back
Top