HOT: Belkin 802.11B Router for $20 at Staples

CypressTree

2[H]4U
Staples is selling the Belkin F5D6231-4 Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router for $59.98. It comes with a $40 rebate, which makes it $19.98, plus tax and shipping. If you can pick it up in-store, you'll be able to bypass the shipping costs.

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=482096

I picked one up from Circuit City on Black Friday for $10, after rebates. I've been using it for a couple of months now, and have been very happy with it. $20 is still a very good deal, and it beats lining up at Circuit City at 4AM on Black Friday. ;)

Eh...i got the Belkin wireless 802.11b router for $10 after rebates from CompUSA during their Wednesday sale before Thanksgiving. The router isn't really that great, it has a weak signal and takes a few minutes for a client to connect to it. My laptop will be sitting right next to it and it'll say "low" signal, then a couple minutes later it'll say "Excelent." It's wierd like that. Just a little heads up. I've had good luck with Netgear's products. Linksys has been decent as well, although i've had to RMA quite a few of Linksys routers at my work because they've randomly stopped workign.

Also, the Belkin Router has major conflicts with 2.4 ghz phones, when ever i get a phone call, it loses all signal until you hang up. I was suprised by this as i've never had another wireless router with this problem...always just thought it was a myth...

Originally posted by SB22
Also, the Belkin Router has major conflicts with 2.4 ghz phones, when ever i get a phone call, it loses all signal until you hang up. I was suprised by this as i've never had another wireless router with this problem...always just thought it was a myth...

Happened to me too ... but I managed to find a phone channel that did not do this ...

i had this router also from the black friday deals, it's not that good. my connection always drops after overnight [yes i have the "disconnect after x minutes" unchecked]. also the signal isnt that great, if im 5 yards away i only get a good signal, sometimes weak

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

and after I just spent 60 on a linksys cause my old router burnt up

:mad:

Originally posted by primea
Happened to me too ... but I managed to find a phone channel that did not do this ...

I don't think i can change my phone channel, i have an older Panasonic phone, maybe I can change the channel in the router and have it work better.

This router really sucks! I am going to be switching to a Linksys ASAP...

I highly recommend saving the 20 and getting a linksys if you are in the market.

Originally posted by SB22
No, don't return it, keep the linksys, it's worth the extra $$

well if the old one (a D-Link) is RMA'd in time were gonna return the linksys and eat the 20% restocking fee.

if you guys don't want to hassle with rebate and have a Micro Center in your area ... they have an ...SMC router for $29.99 works nicely so far ... got it set up on the first floor and the second machine is on the third floor ... in an apartment complex

Not sure why some of you are having problems with your routers, but mine has been working great since I set it up. I set up the router upstairs near the outside wall, and I get great reception all throughout the house - downstairs, in any room with the door closed, etc. - I always get "excellent" to "very good", and nothing less.

Also, I have a 2.4GHz from NW Bell cordless phone, and have used it right next to my Centrino laptop and never had any signal degradation.

I did have an issue with the connection dropping every few minutes when I first set it up, but I realized it was because I had the "Enable 802.1x authentication" checked on the wireless connection properties of my laptop. I unchecked it, and it's been running great ever since. Just make sure you get the latest version of the router - 2 antennae with "version 2" on the product label. I'm very happy with mine.

BELKIN ROUTERS SUCK!

Drops connections, wireless signal fades, needs constant restarting. I have (had) one, and HATE IT. Oh, it also is LIMITED TO 10 PORT FORWARDS/NAT ports. You CAN'T EVEN DO RANGES!! ARGH!

Get the D-Link instead. DI-514 @ $59.99 with a $20 MIR for net of $40. Available at CompUSA and OfficeDepot, AFAIK.

Edit: Oh, and their tech support... EVERYONE who owns one of these complains of the issues on public forums, yet Belkin denies knowledge of the problems. I know, I've called and e-mailed them about the issues. They also have no new firmware updates available for this model of router. Yeah, now THAT is customer service.

Originally posted by EagleTG
BELKIN ROUTERS SUCK!

They also have no new firmware updates available for this model of router. Yeah, now THAT is customer service.

I know! I thought for sure after the problems i had, that they woudl have some sort of firmware update that might help me out, but no, nothing at all. All you can download is the "origional" firmware. If i didn't get it for practically nothing, i'd be pissed, but the fact is that it does the job for what i need. (so i can use my laptop from my bed when i'm lazy and an easy way to transfer small files between laptop and desktop).

Back