HOT: Asus Eee Pad Transformer: $399 w/free keyboard @ Newegg

Seems like a great deal for the combo. Lowest price I have seen with both items together.

Must resist...must wait for Kal-El. Great deal though. I wonder if the dock will br compatible with the next generation...

Yep, out with the old to make room for the new. Penta-core Transformer 2 right around the corner!

Isn't the Kal-El Transformer supposed to start at $500? So with a keyboard/docking station, it would be $650 assuming the keyboard/docking station is $150 like the current Transformer.

$400 vs $650 makes me wonder about the dual core, but compared to the Kindle Fire $400 is a lot even with the difference in specs.

I already own one of these, and while I can't compare it to other tablets I have to say it's pretty snappy. I can watch movies and play games on it, without it killing the battery. I don't really see the point in getting a quad core tablet for $250+ more.

I already own one of these, and while I can't compare it to other tablets I have to say it's pretty snappy. I can watch movies and play games on it, without it killing the battery. I don't really see the point in getting a quad core tablet for $250+ more.

My hope/expectation is that with a quad core convertible (and maybe windows 8?) I will be able to replace 90% of my desktop capabilities, instead of the current 50% I manage with a dual core Touchpad.

Why would I even consider a current transformer when I have a touchpad? The Transformer's screen is way better, I prefer the industrial design and textured surfaces, and it has a well developed android base. The Touchpad looks nice, but all those smooth glossy surfaces are also slippery, and those graceful curves? Yeah, they just make it easier for the thing to slide out of your hand. No trace input keyboard for webOS that I've found yet either, and the default keyboard/error correction system is mediocre at best.

There probably trying to get rid of all these first gens. But on topic, that's one hell of a deal.

I agree, Kueller. I'm also waiting for a Windows 8 tablet, so if I bought this it would get two years or so of use.

shameless rip from my FP deal on sd! lol

Last edited:
I bit. I really appreciate having the keyboard w/ usb ports for free to keep me from having to buy a bluetooth one, and the tablet is pretty nice.

Josh

I have been looking at one of these for the past few weeks. Had to bite with a deal like this. Thank you very much!

I already owned the TF, I bit on this deal and already sold the TF for $350.. after ebay/paypal raping brought it down to $300 so I just bought the dock for $100.. I'm okay with that. I didn't realize ebay took 9.5% of final value fee.. I may have thought twice about my agenda.

Whats funny is I was actually planning to sell the TF this week, and this deal made me do the exact opposite. Looking forward to the 16 hour battery life.

Once I installed the "Revolver" rom on mine, it became a dream to use. Still a lot of default issues with Honeycomb (I don't think they've fixed the javascript browser crash yet), but that's on all roms. With the keyboard, I was able to watch 4+hrs of 720p movies on full brightness for my last trip and still didn't have to charge it until I got home. This was a supreme upgrade from my netbook for small and trip worthy.

Once I installed the "Revolver" rom on mine, it became a dream to use. Still a lot of default issues with Honeycomb (I don't think they've fixed the javascript browser crash yet), but that's on all roms. With the keyboard, I was able to watch 4+hrs of 720p movies on full brightness for my last trip and still didn't have to charge it until I got home. This was a supreme upgrade from my netbook for small and trip worthy.

Wait what? Isn't this thing capable of 12-16 hours? Normal laptops can do 4+hrs of 720p with a 6 cell battery.

Wait what? Isn't this thing capable of 12-16 hours? Normal laptops can do 4+hrs of 720p with a 6 cell battery.

Normal laptop can do 4+hrs with 6 cell battery on full brightness?

What kind of laptop is it?

I know even my Macbook Pro 15" 2011 model with forcing integrated GPU can't even last more than 3 hours on max brightness....

PS: my TF101 got me about 10ish hours while doing youtube the whole time with keyboard..

arm tablets get their battery life advantage from using much less power at idle. Playing high quality h.264 video cuts into it heavily by preventing the hardware from idling. With laptops getting taht much video runtime is either going to cost a lot more; or be much heavier.

Normal laptop can do 4+hrs with 6 cell battery on full brightness?

What kind of laptop is it?

I know even my Macbook Pro 15" 2011 model with forcing integrated GPU can't even last more than 3 hours on max brightness....

PS: my TF101 got me about 10ish hours while doing youtube the whole time with keyboard..

T420 shouldn't have much problem with that if you set the CPU to low in the power manager, which is sufficient for 720p. It can most certainly do it and then some with the 9 cell. Of course, the huge issue with it is that a T420 is much larger than a Transformer.

Thanks for the report. Ten hours is a lot more reasonable, and if it's youtube it was using WiFi the whole time too so it would likely be higher without. I never use full brightness on any device ever, so I don't think I'll end up disappointed here.

arm tablets get their battery life advantage from using much less power at idle. Playing high quality h.264 video cuts into it heavily by preventing the hardware from idling. With laptops getting taht much video runtime is either going to cost a lot more; or be much heavier.

Gotcha. I figured that's where the supposed 16 hour number was coming from, as in very light usage with mostly idle time. Typing in a document at lower brightness or reading emails.

There probably trying to get rid of all these first gens. But on topic, that's one hell of a deal.

Asus just release a similar spec'd model as the Transformer , Asus Slider. It would be odd if they released a first gen and second gen (Transformer 2) kal-el back to back.

How long until a hot deal pops for just the Keyboard dock? Currently $125 at Amazon, but still to rich for my blood.

Anyone that gets one wanna these wanna trade it for 2x 32gb HP Touchpads?

1 w/ lite use, no scratches (With case/stand)
1 new in box (With unopened case/stand)

Back