*HOT* $99AR 2GB dual channel kit DDR & DDR2 - Fry's "day after xmas" sale

No problem getting them at 2:30 this afternoon in Indy/Fishers. The ones I got have Nanya chips on them, SPD of 2.5-3-3-7 @ 166(2700) and 3-3-3-8 @ 200(3200). They pass SuperPi 1M w/ 2.5-3-3-7@ 196 MHz 2.8V. They hold the same SuperPi 1M time (31s) as my pair of 512MB sticks of BH-5. They bench 48.5ns latency in Everest, while my BH-5 bench 40.8ns. Awesome deal.

i wish i would have ordred online, they had them on the site around 1, so i went to the store and waited to talk to someone forever, and he said immediatly they sold out right after the store opened, and now the sites out of stock

I got up at five was at the store by 6 there was a line but they ran out which is weird because the store wasnt packed at all...oh well sorry guys I tried, but I didnt even get a set for myself. :(

Crap. crap. crap.
They ended up selling them online too? Figures, I thought since I'm on the east coast I wouldn't have a chance at this... then lo and behold they sell it online and I'm not around to notice!! And now they're sold out. GAH!!! *sob*
:(

So anyone got a set of pc3200 they don't wanna keep?
I am interested in getting it for a little more.
PM me.

I got PC3200 2GB cosair Value Select im about to return to fry's. I paid $149.00 + tax with $40 rebate forms.

usualpulp said:
just got back, they ran out, guy tried to tell me every store sold out in minutes

not true, the IL store had tons, i wandered in around 9:30 with out a problem

pxc said:
:p

more likely a case of tabbed browsing/reply gone bad.

What's odd is that Now I have a sudden urge to get an m4gery kit with my ram....

XLeezardx said:
I got PC3200 2GB cosair Value Select im about to return to fry's. I paid $149.00 + tax with $40 rebate forms.

Why do you want to return it?

Downers Grove had a ton. My buddy and I both went into the store twice. He's running all four in his computer and I'm running just one set. I might sell the other to my buddy because my Asus K8v-SE Deluxe board is a POS.

DougLite said:
No problem getting them at 2:30 this afternoon in Indy/Fishers. The ones I got have Nanya chips on them, SPD of 2.5-3-3-7 @ 166(2700) and 3-3-3-8 @ 200(3200). They pass SuperPi 1M w/ 2.5-3-3-7@ 196 MHz 2.8V. They hold the same SuperPi 1M time (31s) as my pair of 512MB sticks of BH-5. They bench 48.5ns latency in Everest, while my BH-5 bench 40.8ns. Awesome deal.

Besides reducing latencies, can you tell me how high these will go on 2.8v?
Can you get them to 225mhz when you use a 166mhz base (or otherwise)?
My high density Advance Modules will do 225mhz max on 2.8v.
Thanks!

ps. no one is having any trouble running them in dual-channel right?

vibe said:
Besides reducing latencies, can you tell me how high these will go on 2.8v?
Can you get them to 225mhz when you use a 166mhz base (or otherwise)?
My high density Advance Modules will do 225mhz max on 2.8v.
Thanks!

ps. no one is having any trouble running them in dual-channel right?

I'm in the process of testing mine right now. I'm running them at 2.8vdc 333MHZ or a 5/6 divider CPU@10X275, Memory@229 3-3-3-8 1T.

My Patriot sticks in the signature below were 2.5-3-3-6 1T with the same CPU/MEM speeds and are losing just slightly in SANDRA and RMMA.

Dual channel just fine When running with ClockGen they crashed windows between 240 and 250 so DDR400 or 1:1 doesn't look very likely since i run my 3800 X2 @10X275.

Looks like the Patriot sticks are going on e-bay in the near future

renegade44e said:
Memory@229 3-3-3-8 1T.
Dual channel just fine When running with ClockGen they crashed windows between 240 and 250 so DDR400 or 1:1 doesn't look very likely since i run my 3800 X2 @10X275.

Oh very sweet, thanks for the info.
BTW what voltage are you using on your X2 for 2750?
I can do that but only at 1.55 which is too scary to do for anything but testing.

If I can do 230mhz in my Tforce, my Advance Modules are going on sale here or ebay too... the extra 5mhz means I can run my x2 @ 2650 easier.

I would never expect value ram to do 240-250mhz but 230 would be awesome.

I suspect I will be able to do 1T again once I get external video.
Onboard video on the Tforce seems to make 2T manditory on all ram.

vibe said:
Oh very sweet, thanks for the info.
BTW what voltage are you using on your X2 for 2750?
I can do that but only at 1.55 which is too scary to do for anything but testing.

If I can do 230mhz in my Tforce, my Advance Modules are going on sale here or ebay too... the extra 5mhz means I can run my x2 @ 2650 easier.

I would never expect value ram to do 240-250mhz but 230 would be awesome.

I suspect I will be able to do 1T again once I get external video.
Onboard video on the Tforce seems to make 2T manditory on all ram.

1.475vdc on the 3800 X2. 55C full load

Managed to get to Fry's in Sacramento at 5:30am, and was the ~15th person in line. When it opened, I was the first person to the RAM section and managed to get the first printout for the RAM. I was walking around later after purchasing the RAM and there was quite the line for both it and the ECS mobo and P4 combo deal.

I was planning to get this RAM anyway on Newegg, so getting it for $30 cheaper plus a possible $40 MIR is quite a nice benefit!

cherrypik said:
Downers Grove had a ton. My buddy and I both went into the store twice. He's running all four in his computer and I'm running just one set. I might sell the other to my buddy because my Asus K8v-SE Deluxe board is a POS.

Argh, I didn't go out there because the ram wasn't listed in the sun-times as one of the deals. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

anyone trying to sell these ?

if anyone is selling for the price AR + a few bucks + shipping, ill be more then happy to pick up a set.

Thanks,
Dan

had tons in the Renton, WA store
walked in around 9:30-10, no lines, but i saw people holding the printouts

anyone's online order ship yet?
mine is still "In Process"

:edit
12-28-05 noonish
mine shipped late last night/this morning so it should be on the way and delivered tomorrow... woot..

wow, looks like these corsair value ram sticks perform really good for value ram. i was expecting to max out at like 210, but based on other ppls testings i'll hope for higher :)

when i got to my local fry's (sunnyvale? it's off lawrence expressway near a costco) it was 10 minutes before it opened, and there was a line, but not long, didn't even take 5 minutes for me to get into the store when it opened. went straight to the place where they print out the form for u, about 5 ppl were already there. i think a lot of the early risers went for the FAR fx5200, cuz by the time i got there after getting my forms for the ram they were sold out. so was the $20 or $30 (i forgot how much it was) logitech wireless desktop set. i got in and out of the store by 7:10-ish. home and back to sleep around 7:20 :)

Any more OC reports for this ram?
Mine should be here within ten hours, so I guess I'll know myself soon enough.

I see newegg/chiefvalue are selling the 1GB kit of these for $80 so that's a great feeling...

vibe said:
Any more OC reports for this ram?
Mine should be here within ten hours, so I guess I'll know myself soon enough.

I see newegg/chiefvalue are selling the 1GB kit of these for $80 so that's a great feeling...

230ish 3-4-4-9 1T A8N-SLI 3800 X2 10x275 5/6 mem divider

Don't raise the voltage. I was flunking memtest test 5 until I set DDR voltage ftom 2.8vdc to auto

mine is out for delivery
I should have a review later this afternoon... once it arrives...

Okay I have played with it for two hours now.
About to post extensive benchmarks (well at least the results of them).

extreme chip close-up:
that's "64M8BDC PR 1200551"

In short, this is some finicky ram, much more so than my high density advance modules. It can hit 230mhz at 3-3-3-8 and I am not able to take it higher, maybe after a break in period. Cas 2.5 is IMPOSSIBLE to achieve above 219mhz, at least with my extensive testing, overvolt, undervolt, etc. which in a way makes it worse than advance, which can do cas 2.5 all the way up to 224mhz, then 3-3-3-8 at 225mhz and no higher for love or money.

There is absolutely no useful info in the SPD on the corsair except for at 200mhz!

Note that I am running a Tforce 6100-939 w/onboard video
(which may be holding ram back but not by much other than
2T vs 1T from what I have seen in these tests)

Both the corsair and advance seem to "bottom out" in memtest86+ when you get the reported bandwidth over 2400, try to get to 2500 and it will never, ever, boot into windows no matter how much you relax the timings.

I'd appreciate any memory "experts" look at my a64tweaker settings in the upcoming screenshots to give me ideas to try. I need to decide which set of 2GB to sell by Monday, can't afford to keep both!

1->2->3->

left to right:
1) corsair 2700 270x10 @ 225 3-3-3-8 superpi-34 (cpu can't go any higher on 1.5v sorry)
2) corsair 2600 260x10 217 2.5-3-3-7 superpi-35 (currently operating)
3) corsair 2533 280x9 230 3-3-3-8 superpi-36 (max limit of 230mhz hit)

renegade44e said:
230ish 3-4-4-9 1T A8N-SLI 3800 X2 10x275 5/6 mem divider

Don't raise the voltage. I was flunking memtest test 5 until I set DDR voltage ftom 2.8vdc to auto

We have extremely similar cpu's and setups (except I have onboard video and 2T)
I'll try 10x275mhz with those timings tonight. I can hit that with 183mhz on the corsair.

Can you run a superpi 1M with nothing else running and tell me what you get?

hm... my chips say "nanya" on them instead of corsair. any information on them? better/worse/same?

Well I am very pleased thus far. I think I finally found the limits of my CPU, with it's current cooling anyways. Previously with 2 unmatched sticks of Crucial (wouldn't dual channel) my max was 255fsb for the CPU and running 204 on the memory.

Now on to the Corsair. I bumped my FSB to 265 and it wouldn't post, even with relaxed timings on the memory, but will run at 260. After a few reboots and so forth, it seems 208 (for 416) is the max with my current settings, however, running at a respectable 2.5/3/3 5 T1. In the future I may dink a bit more and try cas2, but I doubt it will post/be stable.

I also ran a session of 3Dmark01 and gained 500pts even with my stock clocked vidcard vs. it OC'd a tad on the previous run. However, the previous run was also 3dmark05v1 and this time I had v2. Before I was a little low on scoring compared to other rigs. Now I am right in line with my setup.

Pics
Corsair_mem_for_Felch1.jpg

Corsair_mem_for_Felch2.jpg

Corsair_mem_for_Felch3.jpg

I had stuff running in the background. Nothing heavy, but several autostart programs in the tray. This is my main machine and it is used heavily.
Corsair_mem_for_Felch5.jpg

vibe said:
We have extremely similar cpu's and setups (except I have onboard video and 2T)
I'll try 10x275mhz with those timings tonight. I can hit that with 183mhz on the corsair.

Can you run a superpi 1M with nothing else running and tell me what you get?

32.5. I have Nanya Chips, though

Soymilk said:
are the nanya chips better/worse than the corsair chips? i got the nanya ones too.

It's impossible to tell without more Nanya info.
Can anyone do Cas 2.5 on the nanya and if so, up to what speed.

Okay - I take it all back. This is pretty good ram for the money.
After 12 hours of running, it's doing better, apparently there was a "break-in" period.

I was able to get cas 2.5 all the way up to 230.6
Actually I can't get any higher than 230 no matter how I relax the latencies but this is still 5mhz faster than my advance modules and cas 2.5 to boot. I was able to lower all the other timings very low without any ill effects, though their change was minimal to performance gains.
230.6mhz 2.5-3-3-7 > 2744 cpu 2.5-3-3-7 >

vibe said:
Okay - I take it all back. This is pretty good ram for the money.
After 12 hours of running, it's doing better, apparently there was a "break-in" period.

I was able to get cas 2.5 all the way up to 230.6
Actually I can't get any higher than 230 no matter how I relax the latencies but this is still 5mhz faster than my advance modules and cas 2.5 to boot. I was able to lower all the other timings very low without any ill effects, though their change was minimal to performance gains.
230.6mhz 2.5-3-3-7 > 2744 cpu 2.5-3-3-7 >

I'm at 230 but I'm also at 3-4-4-8 AND "1T". 1T really kicks ass over 2T. If you have the nanya chips do not up the voltage, I'm using Auto. I used 2.8 for a while and itt was counter productive. I'll have to try CAS 2.5 when i get a chance.

renegade44e said:
I'm at 230 but I'm also at 3-4-4-8 AND "1T". 1T really kicks ass over 2T. If you have the nanya chips do not up the voltage, I'm using Auto. I used 2.8 for a while and itt was counter productive. I'll have to try CAS 2.5 when i get a chance.

My superpi at your 275x10 is less than one second off yours with 2T + onboard video.
(true that 1 second in superpi is hard to overcome otherwise though)

Please show me an explanation/proof that 1T is significantly better than 1T?
The point is mute I guess since 1T is impossible using onboard video on 6100/6150.

Here, I found someone who did a very thorough job testing Geil TCCD ram 1T vs 2T:

There is no more than a 2.5% improvement in real-world 1T vs 2T.
And look, their superpi times are just under 1 second in difference (same as yours vs mine).

how important / much of a performance increase is there in cas 3 vs cas 2.5 vs cas 2? is cas the most important of those 4 timings? it's the only one that anyone ever mentions.

Soymilk said:
how important / much of a performance increase is there in cas 3 vs cas 2.5 vs cas 2? is cas the most important of those 4 timings? it's the only one that anyone ever mentions.

Yes cas is the most significant but if the others are out of whack your system will run funny/slow too. The reality is that each cas step is probably not good for more than a 3-5% real-world improvement. It is more "important" to run your ram as close to your core speed as possible, but that can get very expensive as you need great ram quality to go over 250mhz. I think most of us are using a 166mhz ram base and oc'ing from there.

Okay I have found the sheer limits of the ram.

You can get CAS 2 if you are willing to underclock to like 180-190mhz but not worth it as that kills your entire bandwidth.

The great news is that you can do 2.5-3-3-5 up to 230mhz stable!
Memtest86+ reports the ram bandwidth as 2624kb/sec at those settings
(a number so high I almost fell off my chair, I hadn't seen over 2500 previously)

here are the tightest settings at 230mhz I could get (using 2.8 volts)
2.5 tcl
5 tras
3 trcd
3 trp
2 trrd
7 trc
13 trfc
2 trwt
(2T, I have onboard video)

Sisoft reports 4700 memory bandwidth when I run it at 229mhz (2745mhz cpu)
Strangely it also reports single channel and 1T, both are wrong
and proven otherwise by the benchmarks themselves.

vibe said:
Okay I have found the sheer limits of the ram.

You can get CAS 2 if you are willing to underclock to like 180-190mhz but not worth it as that kills your entire bandwidth.

The great news is that you can do 2.5-3-3-5 up to 230mhz stable!
Memtest86+ reports the ram bandwidth as 2624kb/sec at those settings
(a number so high I almost fell off my chair, I hadn't seen over 2500 previously)

here are the tightest settings at 230mhz I could get (using 2.8 volts)
2.5 tcl
5 tras
3 trcd
3 trp
2 trrd
7 trc
13 trfc
2 trwt
(2T, I have onboard video)

Sisoft reports 4700 memory bandwidth when I run it at 229mhz (2745mhz cpu)
Strangely it also reports single channel and 1T, both are wrong
and proven otherwise by the benchmarks themselves.

nice
I may dink a little more later then... see what I come up with
however, I can't go any higher on memory unless I declock my chip a considerable amount & a use a different divider to try... or at least, was my findings the other day. I will also try a bit more voltage just to reafirm (sp?) my findings.

Back