Hot ? 8 port sata controller $90

Yeah, pci-x is in pretty much all my boxes except my sff :)
Sweet, eh?

Yeah, pci-x is in pretty much all my boxes except my sff :)
Sweet, eh?

PCI-X is found only in high end workstation boards and servers. You will not find it in most peoples systems.

Although this card is a PCI-X controller, you can also use it in a PCI 32 bit slot.

This price isn't hot, I bought these (and the previous generation ones) for the same price years ago.

Forgot what I got mine for, but this card is the shiznit if you don't need hardware RAID. Just don't forget to yank out the BIOS chip. It works better without it and its optional anyway :)

Have an AB9 GT with one of these to provide 16 SATA ports.

PCI-X > PCI, it's also backward compatible to PCI, and is ideal for servers and whatnots. However, how does a PCI-X compare to a PCI-Express? Transfer rate wise? I'd assume we're talking about the fastest of PCIe x16, or PCIe 2.0...

Forgot what I got mine for, but this card is the shiznit if you don't need hardware RAID. Just don't forget to yank out the BIOS chip. It works better without it and its optional anyway :)

Have an AB9 GT with one of these to provide 16 SATA ports.

There's a PCI-X slot in that motherboard?

For those of you who are not familiar with PCI-X, you're probably not going to be able to just stick that card in your standard PCI slot and have it work without a hitch. Standard PCI slots are 32-bit this card is a 64-bit card. I haven't seen a standard desktop board, in awhile that has PCI-X slots.

Here's a good picture of PCI-X vs. standard PCI slots.
http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/CDE/_PCIXSAT.JPG

The only board on NewEgg that I could find with both SLI and PCI-X slots is the
ASUS M2N32-WS Pro AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI ATX Server Motherboard.

Wikipedia
PCI
PCI-X

Here is an example of one in my TF550 motherboard:

dsc05571vr9.jpg

Any sort of massive performance hit with it on a normal 32-bit PCI slot? I like that picture of the card w/o the backplate on it!

IIRC pci-x is around "pci-e x4" or so.

I have the following boards:
GA-2CEWH
H8dci
M2n-Lr

All have pci-x. For anything that I plan to do serious IO on, I make pci-x a requirement. Once there is a little more adapter selection/stability in pci-e, I won't ened to do this anymore. Hopefully this comes soon :)

PCI-X is found only in high end workstation boards and servers. You will not find it in most peoples systems.

Although this card is a PCI-X controller, you can also use it in a PCI 32 bit slot.

This price isn't hot, I bought these (and the previous generation ones) for the same price years ago.

Pretty much all my friends except 1 or 2 that I talk about computing with buy dual socket boards with pci-e and pci-x.....

:)

Pci-x isn't just for Expensive boards anymore!

Edit: Pentium D, Pentiu 5xx and Pentium 6xx series only, eek! Perhaps I can put that pd-805 to use that I have sitting in a drawer.

You seriously lack reading comprehension... badly! Try again.

I'm not sure what is that you're trying to suggest and communicate. All I can distinguish is that sentence/comment was poorly written.

~

The ASUS P5E Workstation Professional (x38) has a PCI-X slot: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131236
^Not sure what else to use that slot for other than Storage Adapters/RAID cards.

For Mac users, this card would not be compatible. Furthermore, there's not much of a selection for Mac OS X since the Mac Pros have been adopting PCIe format (recently, all its slots updated to PCIe 2.0), and have completely eliminated PCI.

I'm not sure what is that you're trying to suggest and communicate. All I can distinguish is that sentence/comment was poorly written.

~

The ASUS P5E Workstation Professional (x38) has a PCI-X slot: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131236
^Not sure what else to use that slot for other than Storage Adapters/RAID cards.

For Mac users, this card would not be compatible. Furthermore, there's not much of a selection for Mac OS X since the Mac Pros have been adopting PCIe format (recently, all its slots updated to PCIe 2.0), and have completely eliminated PCI.

Here are more uses for pci-x slots

Any sort of massive performance hit with it on a normal 32-bit PCI slot? I like that picture of the card w/o the backplate on it!

The standard PCI bus saturates with simultainious use of two HDs. If you're building a bulk data storage/archival box it shouldn't matter much but for any sort of concurrent user server application it'll bottleneck badly.

The standard PCI bus saturates with simultainious use of two HDs. If you're building a bulk data storage/archival box it shouldn't matter much but for any sort of concurrent user server application it'll bottleneck badly.

Well I think it depends. If you are doing tons of sequential reads/writes you are correct. If you are doing a ton of random access of very small files, it is going to take way more than 2 7200rpm drives to bottleneck that.

Pretty much all my friends except 1 or 2 that I talk about computing with buy dual socket boards with pci-e and pci-x.....

:)

Dual socket boards are not mainstream and are considered higher end boards (worksation/server)

Pci-x isn't just for Expensive boards anymore!

Edit: Pentium D, Pentiu 5xx and Pentium 6xx series only, eek! Perhaps I can put that pd-805 to use that I have sitting in a drawer.

This is an old board, this is why. But still, it's a server board, not a mainstream board. So I stand corrected.

I disagree. In real world applications, it takes a lot more than just two drives to saturate it. Also, you have to consider that you have a much bigger bottle neck, the network. Unless if you have serious network connectivity directly to your end point, you are not going to get two users to blow it appart.

I disagree. In real world applications, it takes a lot more than just two drives to saturate it. Also, you have to consider that you have a much bigger bottle neck, the network. Unless if you have serious network connectivity directly to your end point, you are not going to get two users to blow it appart.
QFT. All I use mine for is for talking to 8x Seagate 750GB HDDs to stream media across 100BaseT - nowhere near PCI's 133MB/s limit.

Grabbed one for $49, shipped out a day after I ordered, waiting till wednesday to see if they shipped the right product and if it comes w/ SATA cables or wat :)

Got mine - bare card with standard and low-profile brackets only. Works well once I popped out the BIOS chip.

Aww I don't have enough sata cables :eek:

Ok I do, but it would have been cool to get some more, glad it had the standard bracket. the product description made it sound like it was low profile only... almost...

Back