HOT? : 3930K for 399.99 Microcenter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are these people blowing $400+ on CPUs?

I don't understand. Do you people have a folding fetish?

There's nothing "wrong" with it, I just don't see the need to spend that much on a CPU.

I remember spending like $600 on a C2D and feeling like I robbed NewEgg. Hell, a $800 Q6600 was still my favorite CPU purchase for a long time. Only did the i7-2600k hit the "oh lordy" level.

CPU prices only recently got to the point you can get a high-performance enthusiast CPU for $299.

$400 is a joke imo. Six cores for $400 is a steal. :/

$400 is a steal for this. I paid $600 and don't regret it at all. Slap some water cooling on it and enjoy some 4.5GHz+ on six cores.

$299 is the magic number for me. For now S1155 and IB 3570k/3770k satisfies my cpu needs.

After paying $99 for i5-3570k @ MC I must say this deal is lukewarm.:rolleyes:

I was at MC last Friday trying to pick one of these up, was going to go with this and the Extreme11 for newegg for $500, unfortunately they sold out quick, but was told the deal was staying alive for a week longer. Wanted it for doing more threads, but..

I ended up getting the i7-2700k for $200, not sure if that or the 3770k for $230 was the better deal, figured I'd go cheaper since I had to factor in tax as well.

I remember spending like $600 on a C2D and feeling like I robbed NewEgg. Hell, a $800 Q6600 was still my favorite CPU purchase for a long time. Only did the i7-2600k hit the "oh lordy" level.

CPU prices only recently got to the point you can get a high-performance enthusiast CPU for $299.

$400 is a joke imo. Six cores for $400 is a steal. :/

One of my first gaming computer builds was Pentium 150 with 4 MB's of Ram with a 4MB Sgram Matrox Millineum Card with a Voodoo 3d piggyback Card and a Mag 17" CRT monitor.

Video Card was $450
Voodoo 3d was $299
Ram was $200
Monitor was $699

My My how things have changed! My first LCD was a Dell 2000fp that cost me over a grand on sale.

You don't even wana know...

How about well over $400 x 4 CPUs for a single box?

$400 isn't a lot to some people.
This. People who are cashflowing at least $2k+ in disposable income per month (after kids/wife/misc expenses) don't see a $2k computer upgrade every couple years as a significant expense. However, a college student sees a $400+ cpu as a bit extravagant :)

Sweet! Here I wasn't paying attention to MC and they have what I want.
I have a lonely X79 board that needs some love.

If you can deal with the fact of no PCI-E 3.0 on the X79 functioning in 50% of the games and are happy with PCI-E 2.0 I'd say go for it. I've had one since release, I don't see anything magical from my 3570k setup that I sold :(

This. People who are cashflowing at least $2k+ in disposable income per month (after kids/wife/misc expenses) don't see a $2k computer upgrade every couple years as a significant expense. However, a college student sees a $400+ cpu as a bit extravagant :)

Your damn right I do see it as extravagent. My system ran me just under 700 after fancy lights and what not.

I bought one when they first came out for 6 bills. Why? Because I WANTED TOO. And I have spent the last 11 some odd months enjoying the shit out of it.

True. But then again, that is why that person is in college. When they get out and hopefully obtain a decent job, then they too can drop the change on a nice computer. ;)

To the poster who questions a $400 CPU purchase, keep in mind there are folks here who paid $1000 for the GTX 690.

On topic: Pretty good deal, but I'll wait for the new Nvidia GPUs to launch before upgrading from my 2500k.

My girlfriend got this processor for 190 dollars. A friend of hers works at staples and got it through the retail edge program and didn't want the chip. Now that is a smokin deal.

There's nothing "wrong" with it, I just don't see the need to spend that much on a CPU.

I think you're confused, oft|Forum is some other website where people comment about the price vs. performance of hardware. This is [H]ard|Forum, where blowing an extra $1000 to get a 4% performance boost isn't just accepted, it's encouraged. :cool:

You don't even wana know...

How about well over $400 x 4 CPUs for a single box?

I spent $900 for two CPUs to go in my dual Opteron box back in the day. The dual QX9775's in my Skulltrail setup retailed for $1,549 each. :eek: $400 for a hex core CPU is a bargain. My Core i7 3930k cost around $469 as I recall at Microcenter. That was far and away cheaper than anyone else had them for.

I think you're confused, oft|Forum is some other website where people comment about the price vs. performance of hardware. This is [H]ard|Forum, where blowing an extra $1000 to get a 4% performance boost isn't just accepted, it's encouraged. :cool:

Damn straight! Get a job or 2!

Mag 17" CRT..oh my...takes me back! I dropped close to $500 for a TNT2 way back when. That card with a PIII 500 was CRUSHING Quake 3 Timedemo baby! Upgraded my RAM from 64mb to 128mb for a staggering $125.00. Went on to buy a $500+ AMD dual and dropped a cool grand on a 24" DELL 2407 WFP (BTW, STILL using the Dell..money WELL spent considering all the years I got outta it) $400 for a top notch CPU...not bad...not bad at all. Me personally...$300 is tops for my wallet ATM. Just got the MC $229 3770k and that's PLENTY for my needs.

this is a screaming deal. I about went for this over the 3770k but did not want to spend the extra money.

I work in VFX and the diff btw 4 cores and 6 is substantial. Rendering anything you will benefit from more cores. Reason I did not do the 6 core is that the proc was 300 dollars more and no lga 2011 boards are way more expensive.

For comparison, I spent $1100 on a qx6700 when it came out about 7 years ago. The first non xeon quad proc and it served me very good for 7 years. I remeber paying $450 for 4 gb of ram ahahhah. That computer cost me around 4k but it lasted for so long that it was worth it (a qx6700 is still an amazing proc and now serves his duty as my htpc)

Correct me if I'm wrong but there isn't a 6 core Haswell planned for release anytime in the near future. If you do a lot of video encoding what else is going to touch this kind of performance for $400? We are talking about a large performance increase for $200 more money. Newegg has an LGA 2011 EVGA motherboard for $119.99 after rebate right now. RAM, PSU, Case, hard drive, maybe an all-in-one liquid cooler. Your looking at around a $900 system.

I don't see what all this disposable income, 2nd job, some comment about being in college stuff is all about. If you don't need/use 6 cores this is not a good deal for you. If you can use them it is a [H]ot deal.

id prefure to wait for a better chip and chipset after JUST upgrading to a 3570k

Intel seems to WANT my MONEY, those greedy BASTARDS :D

The FX8350 is at least half the price of the 3930k. Yet the 3930k might be worth it in Single Core speedup from AMD cpu's @ 399.99 tho...I like to leave my PC on 24/7 and fold, run a media server in the house, browse teh net, and game...hmmm. DAMN this is a tough call!

You're mixing discretionary income with disposable income :p

Everyone is different and lots of people value things differently.

However I would say this since almost everyone I talk to misses this about life. How much time do you spend on your computer? Now how much do you spend in your car? OK so how come your car cost more than your computer if you spend more time on the computer? OK maybe you dont fit this bill but almost everyone I know spends at least 5+ hours a day at a computer.

So when you break it down into cost per hour of use, alot of people should really be spending a ton more on computers than they do.

When you start thinking about things in different ways you realize that you might have everything wrong. A computer now days is nearly indispensable I cant think of any one person I know off the top of my head that does not have one. So if you are going to use something for a year or more and use it for more time then you spend, eating, driving, playing sports etc.. Then $200 for a year is really nothing.

$299 is the magic number for me. For now S1155 and IB 3570k/3770k satisfies my cpu needs.

I agree with you on all fronts, but about $400 for this CPU is what it should have been at launch. As long as I'm just playing games, I think my i5 3570K will more than suffice. PCI-E 3.0 standard is a kewl little feature too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back