Hosting research question

sphinx99

[H]ard|Gawd
(Note - not looking for specific hosting site suggestions here.)

It's been a few years since I last looked at hosting service providers, and boy is it a pain in the neck to find information now. Every major hosting service says the same thing, and most of their sites even look the same, causing the conspiracy theorist in me to wonder whether they all are owned by the same holding company in the same way that most sunglasses you see for sale are made by the same company. None of the hosting providers name their competition and try to differentiate themselves from them.

Most of the website hosting review sites that show up as top hits on the search engines list the same top 5 or 10 hosting providers with near as I can tell seemingly arbitrary rankings. For most, it's unclear whether they are anything other than a money-making directory of a small number of services.

So, if I'm looking for information on good hosting providers, where would I go to get some unbiased data and reviews/comparison matrices?

What kind of site are you wanting to host?

Well, I need something multipurpose (email for me, business space for a couple of personal LLCs, some kind of multi-tenant blogging for my fiancee and some of her colleagues, hosted code execution for some personal projects, and so on) which is why I've been looking for detailed comparisons between hosting providers. I'd like to keep this thread focused on sites that compare hosting providers so that I don't violate the forum rules.

Last edited:
Most of the sites (if not all) that offer reviews will be biased cause they are affiliated with particular hosting providers. You can read through some forums but this information is also biased although not so much.

A good thing is most of the providers offers trial periods so you can try and see if it's suitable for you. some of them even offer anytime money back gurantee so if you decide to stop using them after the trial period has ended you can get the money for the remaining months back.

Back