Hosting Own Online Backup

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
What software is out there? Gettig tired of swapping providers. Have a few calls scheduled this week for reselling a service and if no winners then I want to roll my own.

Either lease a server and put in data center or roll something on Amazons server

Needs
- simple file backup for smaller setups
- exchange, SQL backup
- encrypted and hipaa compliant

Wants
- exchange message level
- image based and bare metal restore

I see novastor and asigra.

If the guy from novastor reads this please pm me with a contacts number

So really if not being done with amazon I would want it to be able to replicate back to another location maybe another server at te office or basement but should be fully encrypted.

Also should be able to seed the data as well to save on bandwidth.

I know you can get a windows server from amazon and all the data so maybe that is prime

But still in planning stage.

Crashplan has a phone meetin with me on Tuesday. Company looks great but no exchange or server support.

Yeah I talked to them before thinking of hosting locally for seeding.

I need it to be fully branded

Apposite looks good bit not sure how costs work with small clientele.

75% of those we have resell for are running workstations or very basic file servers

Not sure of costs are low

You talked to Kor?
There isn't anything to brand. They host your infrastructure. The branding is done on the software. They don't sell the software. You buy the software from Ahsay, Vembu or whoever and then brand it. Your servers and seed loads are handled through you. You send the seed loads to their data centers. If you really want to you can have your customers send their seed loads directly, but either way is up to you.

I don't have any vested interested in the company anymore, but I can tell you when I owned it I was doing VERY well. So well my competitors bought me and took on my brand instead of theirs if that tells you anything about the level of quality of product and customer service that you would experience.

Just sayin'
:D

For rolling your own, simplest solution is a basic Linux box and use rsync to backup the data to it. Basically the lowest/cheapest server you can lease with the most storage. Though it may be more cost effective to colocate something like this as leasing you will pay a lot extra per month to get lot of storage.

Everything is going through SSH so it's encrypted. You could also setup in iptables where only the IP of your business can connect to it. (be careful about doing this, ensure your IP is static or you could lose complete management of the box). Fail2ban is also a must to prevent brute force attacks.

Only thing, I don't know about HIPAA compliant. Governments tend to only trust really expensive solutions, even though SSH is very solid and proven security. But worth a shot.

For rolling your own, simplest solution is a basic Linux box and use rsync to backup the data to it. Basically the lowest/cheapest server you can lease with the most storage. Though it may be more cost effective to colocate something like this as leasing you will pay a lot extra per month to get lot of storage.

Everything is going through SSH so it's encrypted. You could also setup in iptables where only the IP of your business can connect to it. (be careful about doing this, ensure your IP is static or you could lose complete management of the box). Fail2ban is also a must to prevent brute force attacks.

Only thing, I don't know about HIPAA compliant. Governments tend to only trust really expensive solutions, even though SSH is very solid and proven security. But worth a shot.

this..... also you've got DeltaCopy..... the people who make DeltaCopy also have a pay-for suite called Syncrify that is quite nice and is designed for exactly what you want to do... although i don't know if it supports exchange and open dbs and stuff, but if i were you i'd do that stuff internally, then dump the backups outside... doing live db backups to the cloud just seems like a dumb idea... for performance reasons and etc...

No Linux solutions I would need to have support

what, because it's linux it means nobody supports it?

I need a company to call if a problem occurs. I dont want to be searching internet for something. I want a company based product. I dont mind if I need to pay for support just need to be able to pick up the phone and go.

We started out with our own....gets to be a pain in the arse.
Eats up your own bandwidth.
Do to it right you really have to get redundant bandwidth from different providers (failover)...
Backup generator in case power goes out
Redundant secondary site
Keep expanding your own hardware
Maintaining your own servers, remote, monitoring, reboots, maintenance/updates, etc.

Screw all that, offsite backup is sooo dang dirt cheap now.....just resell another product and sit back and collect the GP on it.

For simple file backup....can't get much easier than RackSpace/JD

For image based and bare metal restore..you've gotta have hardware onsite too...local NAS stuff and then have that replicate the de-dupe offsite.

I need a company to call if a problem occurs. I dont want to be searching internet for something. I want a company based product. I dont mind if I need to pay for support just need to be able to pick up the phone and go.

I'm pretty sure there are companies that offer Linux support. You could always go with a commercial distro like Red Hat too.

We use AppAssure and it is working really good. I have hourly snapshots of high change servers (Exchange, SQL, File, SharePoint, etc) and daily snapshots for servers that do not change often. Every snapshot is replicated offsite to another backup server. Each snapshot is compressed and deduped.
For example our primary file server has 5TB of data. With hourly snapshots going back to April it is only taking up 10TB of space. With the storage we have we should be able to get 6 months of snapshots for all of our servers.
With SQL and Exchange I can restore individual emails, and tables as needed.
You can seed replication data if needed, and it can work with amazon cloud storage.

The main negative is they do not have a Linux client, however we only have 3 linux vm's and I have them set to export themselves every week so they can be backed up.

I'm not a AppAssure rep at all, but I really like their product and it is so much better than CA ArcServe.

Late to chime in, I work with Marley1... Does that mean that you can do a file only backup with AppAssure, or is it only image based? Cocern is storage on the remote server for many of our home user clients. If they have 800GBs of data in the image on their home machine but only need to backup 30GB of files offsite, can AppAssure do that?

Late to chime in, I work with Marley1... Does that mean that you can do a file only backup with AppAssure, or is it only image based? Cocern is storage on the remote server for many of our home user clients. If they have 800GBs of data in the image on their home machine but only need to backup 30GB of files offsite, can AppAssure do that?

It is all file based. Once the agent is installed on the computer you select what volumes you want to backup and it will backup every file on that volume. You can't select which files you want to exclude or include, if a volume is selected it backs it all up. This might have changed in version 5 which just came out but I am not sure. Also the agent does not compress or dedup the data, that is all done on the core server.

Back