Hosting Feedback - Where can I get hosting...

computadorka said:
http://www.startlogic.com/

My brother has this host and he says it runs pretty good. Its VDECK 2.0 Control panel if your familiar with that. 3 MYSQL servers, and more.
The thing that impresses me is the 1GB Space and 40GB Bandwidth for 7.95/month.
Does anyone have experience with Starlogic?? I am thinking of getting another domain with them.

I currently have http://www.ipaska.com and it has been real good as well using Cpanel with 100MB 8GB transfer for 4.95...i think.

I wouldn't recommend www.startlogic.com. I signed up for their $7.50 a month plan about two weeks ago and now I'm in the process of cancelling it. After my service was activated, I was led into a world of frequent (hourly) outages and non-working components (like the bandwidth report) in the vDeck control panel. To top that off, online tech support fed me the usual "our admins are looking into it" and "it must be on your end" responses and offered no help at all. If you plan on calling this company, enjoy listening to a local (pretty good, actually) Arizona alternative rock station for half an hour.

I'm in the process of getting my money back. When I do, I think I'm going to check out the TotalChoice company that some of you mentioned above. This thread has been very helpful.

Hawk Communications

Absolute Garbage.

They had 'good rates' when we signed up a year or so ago to host my father's website (he's an illustrator), but they are not worth any amount of money you might save. They have "email only webhosting support" which means they can ignore your emails as long as they want, and get back to you when (if?) it's convenient for them.

Apparently when my dad signed up, he inadvertantly signed his domain name over to them (running a WHOIS now shows them as the rightful "owner" of his domain), and now they're trying to sell it back to him when he mentioned he wanted to switch hosts.

Seriously, they should be avoided like the plague... other interesting notes: they insist the host box is running linux, but i get "Welcome to Microsoft IIS 5.0 FTP server" messages when trying to upload to the servers... these guys are a scam. nuff said.

I've been with 3-95.com for about 3 years now. They offer like 800Mb and 10Gb transfer for $3.95 a month.

They make the claim that their hosting is for people that know what they're doing, but I'm a nub (and was when I signed up) but I figured it out in no time at all. I've been hosting my personal website there, along with my CS Clan's website and its been very reliable.

They have a good support system, my tickets are always responded to in a timely manner and resolved on time. Their control panel is good as well.

The only time I've bumped heads with them is over a cgi-proxy I was running, but thats understandable. Over all I'm very happy and plan on staying with them for as long as I can.

DS

www.premiumhosted.net (Testimonials )

I have been with premiumhosted for about six months, and have become very fond of their good service and cheap prices. I went to most of the links on the front page (of this thread), and premiumhosted has a better deal then most of them do. Any doubts? Look at the testimonial section!

www.computercare-wny.com

A host i have been using since they first started. One of there first customers and since then the server has only gone down ONE time and that was for a major update. But besides that they are pretty cheap effective and amazing customer service.

I have a comment on 1&1 hosting I want to vent with.

I have thier professional package that I got for free when they had the deal 1.5 yrs ago or so...which works fine. Its the standard unix hosting. I then decided to try thier microsoft hosting since the other package worked so well. Well, there are a few things that made me cancel the deal after 2 months of trouble, and w/o further ado (pardon the pun):

1. The business package (which you would assume would benefit from a better database) enables .net, but not in conjuntion w/ an Access database. Thier security permissions only permit SQL server usage w/ .net (aspx) pages. I'm not against that, but they should have enabled that for the business package. This seems nothing more than a marketing trick, which again, from a business standpoint, I understand, but having to re-code my application to transfer data to and from asp pages to interact w/ a compatible database is a very big hassle. This takes much of the benefit of .net capabilities away from the coder, so IMO, a true ad for the business package should say "Microsoft allmost .NET hosting".

2. They suffered from severe server trouble. I don't work there, so I can't pinpoint the exact problem, however, I do know that when I went to open projects in Visual Studio, the application either timed out, or took 3-5 minutes to open. Opening wasn't the only laggy part either. Basically, anytime you had server interaction in the program (saving files, testing code, etc), you would experience similar lag. This made working conditions totally un-workable. I phoned into tech support multiple times to no avail. They noticed the problem, mentioned that it was a server problem and that they would pass the ticket on to get it fixed, but it never got fixed. The tech support guys weren't rude, but the bottom line is they didn't get it fixed.

So take this into consideration if you're looking for a .net host. The price may seem good, but look @ what the package brings.

G-Bull said:
Do not use Powweb hosting!

www.powweb.com

Our gaming community has been with Powweb for roughly four or five months now and it's been ridiculous. Their service is far below par. When requesting help, they either ignore you or answer with a (in their opinion) witty retort that has nothing to do with the solution to your problem.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. So far, in the time we've been with them, the website has gone through periodic episodes of slowdown. Hence the complaints. We're nowhere near our limits in storage or bandwidth and there's minimal content on the site itself.

Their service and their product is not worth the pain, time, and effort.

I recently bought hosting for my personal website through www.totalchoicehosting.com and so far I'm impressed. I'm glad I looked at this thread before I bought my hosting.
vapb400 said:
I agree with the above poster. Powweb is inconsistant, and has a confusing CP

Yeah, I completely agree. Avoid powweb at all costs. I been with them for about 8 months and Im gonna dump them within the next few days. I been having problems with them for about 6 months now. Their service is too inconsistent. Servers go down or slow down to a crawl weekly. Their control panel is extremely user UNfriendly and difficult to navigate. They put your database on the same server with everyone else. That goes the same for email servers too. For example, when I wanted to create my database for my forum, I couldnt name my database "forum" because it was taken.

Anyway, my biggest complaint is about their customer service and support forums. Most of the time when someone complains, they delete that thread within seconds. Their unproffesional admins are rude and have no respect for their customers. Powweb also never, and I mean never gives advanced notice for schedualed downtime or maintenance.

Yeah, Im bitter. Go to their forums and see for yourself.

Not sure if its been posted yet, but Sunwave is a great host that also allows you to be a reseller and become a host yourself :) They also have 24/7 online tech support (chat not Email) and I've never waited longer than 5 minutes for someone to chat with.

OK, another one from me - after a disastrous outing with LunarPages (they have a weird Java configuration but won't release details, and if your code doesn't work with it they threaten to cancel your account), I found these guys :

www.servelocity.net

They're hosted here in the UK - £9.95/month (no setup, 1 month rolling contract, 30 day money back guarantee) gets you 10GB storage and 10GB bandwidth, and you get (almost) full root access to your own linux virtual server. I say almost, because some kernel functions are disabled (setting up swap files etc). They've got people running game servers and all sorts on there (I use it for my Java hosting), and the support staff are excellent, and helpful to a fault. They're usually quite happy to relax the memory restrictions on your server if you keep hitting the limits, and don't usually charge unless you're trying to go above the next product in the family.

http://www.1portfolio.com

1500 MB disk space
50 GB data transfer (per month)
100 email accounts

$2.99/month

I'm pretty happy with 1portfolio. Everytime I have had to get ahold of customer service they have gotten back to me really quick. They also just updated like eveything. They sent out a long email explaining how they got new servers and are updating the software etc etc. I have no complaints. The price is also really good.

Okay, time for another one.

www.eleven2.com

After my bad experience with www.startlogic.com, I moved to a local Houston company called Eleven2. Since then I have had almost no downtime, very quick speeds, tons of options and stuff to play with in the control panel (cPanel X), and a working bandwidth graph. Not to mention, one of the biggest pluses is the technical support. There's always some guy on AIM ready to actually not read a script to you, and the one time I had a problem with my email, it was fixed less than an hour later.

I pay something around $20-25 quarterly for 1GB of storage and 50GB of bandwidth. I would definitely recommend this company if you're looking for a cheap, good host.

I attempted to set up an account with http://www.ipowerweb.com/ but they had not billed my credit card, reserved my domain, or answered any of my emails after 8 days so I went ahead and registered the same domain with http://www.ipaska.com and had it set up on the same day. iPowerWeb called me the next day to tell me that the domain was already taken - I told them what had happened and they didn't seem too concerned.

It would've been nice to have their 2000MB account for the same price as my 100MB account at iPaska, but at least I know I'll be taken care of w/ iPaska (I've had accounts with them before).

http://www.northcomp.com

Northstar Computer Systems
------------------------------------------
Been with them for about a year now. Overwall I give them a 8/10

Pros: Low population server, windows server, asp.net / mySQL. (msSQL extra)
Cons: Exepnsive by today's standards, low bandwidth.

Just a small update here.

I'm moving all of my sites to one dedicated server to allow myself some more room to expand. I've been looking around for quite some time at different windows 2003 options. I don't really need a control panel as I'm the only that will be using the box directly, all of my clients have web interfaces.

Anyway, they have come up with a very good quote for me and while I don't think it is fair to go over the exact details, I would just like to tell anyone else looking for an entry - mid level windows server to ask them for quote.

http://www.globat.com

I've been with them since July '04 and now have two accounts with them. Right now they offer 5GB space and 75GB transfer for $4.95/m. It's fast and generally reliable. They offer a lot of stuff to help make the website and promote it to search engines. The technical support is available all the time and you get your questions answered fast. Every time I've called them, they pick up immediately and my E-Mails are answered within the hour.

I am impressed.

www.ipaska.com

I have been using iPaska since I got my domain up and running last May. Service has always been great, minus one cpanel licensing mixup late last year, but that was more cPanel and not iPaska itself.

Support has been pretty fast when I needed it, and I have gotten everything I wanted running smoothly. They also just recently upgraded their plans, so now I pay $4.95 for 125 MB storage and 15 GB monthly transfers. It used to be 100 MB storage and 8 GB monthly for the same price I think.

http://www.hostpc.com

These guys where fairly good for the month that we had them. But during that time period you can’t really make an accurate assessment regarding their stability, up time and customer support. But the reason why we only stayed there one month is also the reason why I say AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE!

If any of you are familiar with PHPBB you are familiar with the PHPBB 2.0.X exploits as well as other exploits that are found in many versions of their software. Well anyways, one day we notice the site is being slow. So we look at the server and see what activity is being done via our account. We come to the conclusion that hackers have found an exploit in awstats and where hosting their own IRC server on our web server as well as opening odd ports and services like apache. We gave this information to Hostpc.com in hope that they would fix the issue or at least let us know what was going on (since at the time we where not 100% aware of the holes in PHPBB). But instead of helping us, they cancelled our account!!! Even though their own forums where several versions behind and they openly SUPPORT PHPBB via their admin interface. They cancelled our account!

We reported this activity to Hostpc.com by submitting this helpdesk ticket...
http://www.lanmaniac.com/HelpDesk HostPC Internet Services.htm

Here is our email transcript...
http://www.lanmaniac.com/Re_ HostPC...min Servers & Directadmin support Enquiry.txt

So basically, if you run ANY sort of application on your forum, it has a bug/hole and that hole is exposed, your account will be cancelled. Now I don’t know about you, but I cant live with that in the back of my head and since I have of yet heard of any such case where a host has terminated an account due to hackers exploiting a hole in a piece of software that they support, I cant give any reconditions regarding this host.

BTW read the help desk ticket and email. The guy is a dam idiot.

Hostpcsucks
Hostpc.com sucks

I've been with Dreamhost for a while now and although their offers might seem great, their slow support response time and slow servers (capped 20k/s on cable or more, even T3) and also their slow update time is so... frustrating!

It will take you about a day to perform any actions with them. Question, update, instalation, nothing under an hour MINIMUM, and this is if there are no problems.

They have great offers and claim they host a lot of domains, well maybe they host too many for what they can!

I was used to 5 minutes USEFULL replys from namespro.ca (best host I ever had, only thing I didn,t like is the 1 mysql database limit except if you pay more $$), and now it often takes a day or more.

Their panel seems very interesting at first, well I think it's buggy and not developed enough. E-mail management and web-mail configuration is such a pain... I just wrote to thema bout it but don't expect an answer before tomorow.

Can you PM me more infos about 1portfolio? they seem to have a small comunity but great offers, else I might go with site5 or totalchoicehosting!

www.nsihosting.com

Been with them for almost 2 years. fantastic support/speeds... they are based in the UK though, which is fine for me since alot of my traffic is in the netherlands/sweden... prices are good too...

SiteServer is Horrible

www.siteserver.com

These guys have to be the worst out there. I've had them for almost 2 years. Thier control panel sucks. You can't give them a username to log into with it, you have to use your cryptic account number. You can reset your passwords, but they never take, so you can't effectively change it. If you manage to get into the CP, it is impossible to get anything done.

Their customer service... they might as well not have any. I have tried eight times now to get the service cancelled, and they charged me for another year anyway. They never answer the phone, never return phone call messages, don't respond to email, and thier "Online Live Chat" you can never get a person. It always says "our reps are busy right now". Sure they are....

STAY VERY FAR AWAY....

The only reason I have them in the first place, is they bought out my hosting company.

another for 1and1

I dont do complex websites at all so as far as any of the complex features, I cant comment. I have not had a single problem with them and always get very fast download speeds. Been with them for about a year now. I bascially use it for a picture gallery. Ive hosted a few videos and 1 person who was on the backbone of a large college campus downloaded at 8MB+/sec. I have the business package which is $10 a month with Linux hosting and you get shell access which comes in handy for the gallery program, 2GB of space and 50GB of monthly transfer. All in all for my needs I give them an A+ :)

http://www.edgewebhost.com

been with them for about 7 or 8 months or so.. great uptime, it went down once for a few days.. right now they are reselling from theplanet.com which is really realiable.. i can contact them easily by e-mail and even called them by phone once. one of the owners is a member on here too..

reliable hosting, good price, reliable support.. and you support the [H] community.

http://www.crystaltech.com

I've used them for about a year and a half. My company has used them for over 2 years. Very quick servers, excellent knowledge base on their web site, and if you can't get help there, tech support responds in minutes. Best price / performance for Cold Fusion hosting I've found anywhere. Highly reccomended.

scottatwittenberg said:
http://www.edgewebhost.com

been with them for about 7 or 8 months or so.. great uptime, it went down once for a few days.. right now they are reselling from theplanet.com which is really realiable.. i can contact them easily by e-mail and even called them by phone once. one of the owners is a member on here too..

reliable hosting, good price, reliable support.. and you support the [H] community.

I finally got rid of Siteserver, after a month of arguing about the year I had to pay for.

I just set up an account with Edgewebhost. We'll see how it works out. I like how you can pick and choose options to add on to your packages such as more bandwidth, more storage, more dbs, etc.

RCGodward said:
http://www.crystaltech.com

I've used them for about a year and a half. My company has used them for over 2 years. Very quick servers, excellent knowledge base on their web site, and if you can't get help there, tech support responds in minutes. Best price / performance for Cold Fusion hosting I've found anywhere. Highly reccomended.
the place where i work has been using crystaltech for about a year now.. they are pretty good.. i have called them up and talked to a live person pretty easily numerous times.,.. gotten through right away, and they were helpful.. the control panel is well layed out and pretty full of features... we use them for coldfusion hosting too..

www.webstrikesolutions.com

Been with them for three years, and own 5 websites with them.
Great professional service, 30 bucks for the first year of hosting! (no catches either)
Linux, and Microsoft servers available....
PhP, Mysql, the works!
Can't recommend them enough.......

www.dreamhost.com

Been with them for about 9 months now. I initailly got my plan for a little under 8 dollars A YEAR!!! They had a coupon code that would drop that would drop the price from $120 anually to that price there. It was for their 7th birthday and the code was '777' I think. Not sure if its still in effect. Next year I'll apy the full 120 then.

For 7.95 a month I get 2400megs of space, 120gig transfer, 3 domains, unlimited MySql databases, ftp telnet and ssh access, great contral panel, and they are notorious for spontaneously giving you more space and bandwith. They also have a charity service in which they will match your donation to a specific charity.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

1 & 1 Internet
Term: 1 year
Good/Pros:
  • Phone, web, email support
  • Easy to use, powerful control panel
  • Windows and Linux Hosting
  • Managed and Dedicated servers
  • Great pricing (Billing every quarter)
Bad/Cons:
  • Tech support (Phone) is sometimes on hold for 30 minutes (peak times)
  • Some tech support barely speak english (international company)
  • DNS (Domain) management is a little confusing
  • Billing errors
  • Isnt free ;)

Overall a good company to deal with, and ive dealt with many (APlus.net, CISO, LowFat, etc.)

EDIT: Well after being down for 3 days solid, numerous calls, billing errors everywhere, ive cancelled with them. cant say i recommend them anymore. Im not being hosted with a new company, based in The Planet data center. :)

SupremeServer does great hosting. Tons of features for relatively cheap. Opening support tickets, the lastest I've gotten a response is thirty minutes later. On average, their response is withing five minutes of the tickets opening. They are extremely reliable as well. Their website is www.supremecenter.com but your actual host with be one of their twenty or so servers.

1&1, ive used them for about two years. again basic host is fine but the control panel and mysql access has always been slow! . dial up slow.

http://1and1.com

I have had them for alittle over a year, its had literally 100% uptime. I pay 10 bucks permonth, and get 50gigs bandwith 2 gigs of hosted space and 3 top level domain names. At first i had the cheaper package but then i had to change because it didnt support perl or php.The email server is really slow tho.

www.edgewebhost.com was just sold..

thse people bought it.. http://whois.sc/thename-server.com

amit patel

they seem to be good.. but there was no warning and my site was down for 4 days while the transfered over to the new servers..

"Your account will be hosted on our servers located at telX's world class data center, typically referred to as 56 Marietta Street, in Atlanta, GA."

so yeah.. i will comment on how they have been in another 6 months.. i guess..

www.godaddy.com
I just set up an account with these guys a few days ago. 1 year costed me $95 (like 7.50 per month, $4 for a .com for 1 year). 2GB storage, 100GB bandwidth. I love their pricing.

Email tech support takes a long time for a response, but they've been helpful with the responses. You cannot setup multiple FTP accounts which I dislike lots, but not too big of a deal for me.

I am very satisfied so far. Still not much experience with them though, so I will update post if needed.

http://www-hosting.net/
I've been with this host for just over a year now. Email tech support was very quick response. Setting up the account was much easier with godaddy. I had to email this host a couple times before it was setup, took like 1-2 days. Not sure what their pricing is like now, but a year ago I think I got like 300mb storage, 60GB bandwidth for like $100 a year, including the domain name for 1 year.

Good uptime, fast servers. I really liked their control panel software.

They also seem to have some nice deals all the time. A few months ago they were selling lifetime accounts for $200.

Anyone who has iPaska I seriously suggest you find new hosting now.

He's Austrailian, and so is his company, but they do maintain their hosting operations at a US-based colocation center (365Main). However, he's about to get screwed for evading taxes.

Let me break down ipaska as I know it. Ipaska received several hundred thousand dollars of loans from a bank in the US (around the time he overhauled his operation and moved into 365main), and now has become unprofitable. I don't know the timetable, but he stands a risk of having company assets confiscated due to lack of payment, should money become short. Thats why spending is virtually zero, especially since he's probably going to be moving customers to existing servers (he's done that already, and is upping loads on each individual machine).

www.surpasshosting.com

Everyone in the IT department has their personal pages hosted by them and we also have an extranet hosted on their servers.
IT dept has been using this hosting service for over 3 years. Great company.
Cheap prices and good service. Easy to use Setup interface.
I pay 48 bucks a year for 2000 MB Web Space, 30000 MB Transfer, Unlimited Email Addresses.
Not bad if you ask me.

animeguru said:
http://www.dreamhost.com

I've been with them for about 8 months now without any problems at all. I pay $10 a month for 800MB of space, 40GB of transfer and all the other regular extra's (unlimited email forwarding, web access, cgi, etc). You can host up to 3 full domains and they'll register a domain under your name for you for as long as you host with them (you can transfer the domain to another registrar if you please). Blah blah blah... I'm happy with it and they've got some great plans for those of us who can't afford dedicated hosting.

right now they have tripled the disc space and the bandwidth for every one of their plans and also if u are planning on staying with for a year add "777" in the promo code box to get the whole thing down to just 9$ for the whole year. you would get 1 free domain , 2400mb , 120gb bandwidth

I have been using my schools student server to run my pages but it doesnt support php, or any cool stuff. I am about to sign up with dreamhost after reading this thread. the 777 promo doesnt work anymore but the promo50 to get $50 off the first year sounds pretty good. $70 total for lotsa hosting goodness. thanks guys....

yes, the 777 promo code has been used up, and promo50 is great, but there is a better one which i know works and will save you $60 from 1 or 2 year plans.. making it about $60 for your first year (with 2GB disk, 120GB transfer). i've been hosting with dreamhost for 9 months and love it. anyway, the code is:

TAKE60OFF

Back