Hosting A Torrent

Anyone have any ideas?

It will be used for part of the Computer Audio FAQ if that motivates anyone :cool:

open is one thing, forward to your internal computer is quite another. If you are running windows xp sp2 you need to get a patch for your tcpip.sys (allow more half open connections)

xp antispy (I hear) has a fix in advanced area, as well as this website:
http://www.lvllord.de/?url=tools#4226patch

I don't know the difference between open and forwarded. Here is what I have done (.193 is the computer I am using it on):
router.JPG

I had already downloaded that patch and installed it.

Is there a program to create and host torrents besides Azureus?

zachary80 said:
I don't know the difference between open and forwarded. Here is what I have done (.193 is the computer I am using it on):
router.JPG

I had already downloaded that patch and installed it.

Is there a program to create and host torrents besides Azureus?

you can't have the same port forwarded to 2 computers, it will always pick the first one (i believe).

mjz_5 said:
you can't have the same port forwarded to 2 computers, it will always pick the first one (i believe).

I fixed that, but havn't had anyone test it yet. It shouldn't really matter since it should be tracking through the 6969

There is an option to 'Enable UDP Tracker Protocol'. Should I?

Ice Czar said:
relocating the thread to networking is my idea :p

Now that's funny, I was just about to send this off to General Software until I read this post :)

To be honest, I don't know where this one belongs. Ah well. Its here already so it might as well stay :)

it was about to drop off the board there for the 2nd time,
pretty sure its a networking\router issue
or more accurately that your fine crowd of technophiles would display more interest
and actually sort it out faster than the slackers in General Software :p

;)

More than likely his isp (comcast) is droping port 21, might be a better idea if you can set it to use some random high port. Ether way, here is a report on your connection as it sits here at 11:26pst Oct 26. *With some ip info removed.

server root # nmap -sS -P0 -v -O 68.53.208.xxx -p21,112,113,6969,6881

Starting nmap 3.70 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-10-26 23:27 PDT
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan against xxxxxxxxxpcs.aboit01.in.comcast.net (68.53.208.xxx) [5 ports] at 23:27
The SYN Stealth Scan took 5.45s to scan 5 total ports.
Warning: OS detection will be MUCH less reliable because we did not find at least 1 open and 1 closed TCP port
Host xxxxxxxxxpcs.aboit01.in.comcast.net (68.53.208.xxx) appears to be up ... good.
Interesting ports on xxxxxxxxxpcs.aboit01.in.comcast.net (68.53.208.xxx):
PORT STATE SERVICE
21/tcp filtered ftp
112/tcp filtered mcidas
113/tcp closed auth
6881/tcp filtered unknown
6969/tcp filtered acmsoda
Device type: broadband router|remote management|WAP|general purpose
Running: Cnet embedded, HP embedded, D-Link embedded, Linksys embedded, US Robotics embedded, Linux 2.4.X
OS details: Cnet CNIG904B Internet Broadband Gateway firmware version 1.11, HP Integrated Lights Out remote configuration Board, Broadband router or WAP: D-Link DI-series, Sitecom BHS WAP, or SMC Barricade, Linksys BEFW11S4 WAP or BEFSR41 router, D-Link, SMC, Tonze, or US Robotics wireless broadband router, US Robotics USR8022 broadband wireless router (WAP), Microsoft Xbox running Debian Linux 2.4.20

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 32.928 seconds

set the anouncing to 6969
its the most common

the torrent your sending out is trying to connect to 21

you will have to create a new torrent with the new anounce port
i'm pretty sure comcast either filters or blocks port21 traffic

i know they do not touch 6969

Alright, I made the new tracker (with 6969) rebooted the router. Don't have time to test it now; I replaced the old file on the server so you can use the same link.

The port 6969 is still filtered. You can try putting your computer as DMZ (but enable the firewall on your computer first)

vxspiritxv said:
The port 6969 is still filtered. You can try putting your computer as DMZ (but enable the firewall on your computer first)

Apparantly I made the file but didn't add it to the program so it didn't know it was there yet

Is there any way for me to test it?

6969 Still filtered as of 2:10pm pst

PORT STATE SERVICE
21/tcp filtered ftp
112/tcp filtered mcidas
113/tcp closed auth
6881/tcp filtered unknown
6969/tcp filtered acmsoda

If both firewalls are correct allowing 6969 in as well as forwarding it to your computer, it would show closed or open, not filtered. *Well usually, as long as outbound icmp port-unreach is allowed. 113 is reported as closed, so port-unreach is working fine.

You need an outside computer to test it yourself. Or a "open" proxy server. There is even a way to bounce a port scan off a ftp; but I can't help you with proxy or ftp method. IRC ( www.mirc.com ) might be a good place to get some help, if you can find someone with the time and patience to help you. Every time change a setting have them scan you. Nmap is available for linux as well as windows.

Back