hosed .bin file association

NoEcho

2[H]4U
Got a guy who installed some shareware video modification program on his windows xp media center computer. Now, when we try to extract .bin files it brings up this VLS application which tries to read the data as a media file. We've uninstalled the VLS app but the underlying .bin assocation didn't revert, closest option to an OS under file preferences is the Media Center (windows xp) which also tries to play the .bin file as a media file. The .bin file is a linksys firmware update. Any idea how to revert the .bin file assocation so it actually extracts properly?

You can re-associate files by shift-right clicking the file to show "open with" in the menu. Select your preferred software and check "always use this program".

Why would someone extract a .bin firmware file? It's meant to be just installed, period. In fact, most firmware is encrypted these days to prevent users from tampering - messing around with that stuff and then making an attempt to install it on the hardware could result in a bricked component.

I'm not sure what reason exists for extracting the .bin file, but the router should allow you to browse to the location that .bin file is located and then do the installation of it.

I'm kinda lost on this one... try opening it with Notepad I suppose.

There's no logical reason anyone would want to double-click a .bin firmware file or try to execute it directly by association; that won't get you far at all. The router's administration tools are what's used for updating the firmware.

</me_is_still_scratching_his_head_over_this_one>

Applications that allow you to import .bin files directly are a relatively recent thing and they often don't work. I saw them briefly in some bios updating packages but I think they stopped that because they could 'brick' someone's pc. So... I'm mystified that you two are mystified, .bin files almost always require 'unpacking' before they can be imported into most applications.

But maybe I'm reading linksys's website wrong and the term 'extract' means something else...

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...1193770268488&ssbinary=true&lid=8183341746B02

Check appendix C.

The line "2. Extract the firmware from Linksys' website at www.linksys.com" is old and outdated from a time in the past when Linksys would distribute firmware files as self-extracting .exe packages. When you doubleclicked on the .exe it would basically un-Zip itself (the self-extracting .exe files are created with Zip compression). Afterwards there will just be the .bin file - that file is what you need, that file IS the firmware file.

It's not an executable file, it's just a data file containing the firmware code.

On the router's admin page for updating the firmware, click Browse, find that .bin file, and select it, click Upgrade and you're almost done. The router's firmware upgrade process will begin afterward and proceed from there as it's applied and the router resets to factory defaults based on the new firmware.

That's it.

They need to update their damned instructions as that's pretty confusing for some people, like the OP. ;)

Some types of firmware updates can be executable installer files, but when they run they will either a) already have the firmware code inside as part of the installer application itself, or b) they'll require you to have a .bin or whatever type of file that particular device uses for firmware installations and distribution.

Back