Horrid Civ4: BTS performance:

mwin

2[H]4U
I'm running a 4200+ X2 machine with 2 gigs of DDR and dual 8800GTs. As I get into the 20th century in my Civ4: Beyond the Sword (patched to the latest, 3.13 I think) games the performance drops off into the unbearable range. Like, it might take two minutes to bring up the city list or the civilipedia. The time between ending my turn and starting the next one is even worse. It probably averages somewhere in the 2 minute range, but it's drawn out closer to 5, before.

Anybody else experience this? Is there some setting I can change to get some more performance? Regular Civ4 and Warlords neither one ever got this bad.

I know this sounds crazy, but my game had the same problem. I have an AMD 3200+ with a Geforce 6800, so it might not be the same type of issue, but try turning the graphics level down.

BTS ran like an absolute slug for me on the highest graphic setting. Turned it one down, and it ran brilliantly. It was like night and day. Your mileage may vary, but it's worth a try.

I went from 16xAA down to 0. That helped with the time between turns, that part is bearable. It still takes forever to bring up the pedia, initiate foregin relations, view wonder cut-scenes, that sort of thing. We might be onto something, though. I'll drop some more settings and see if those things start to get any better.

My friend had the same issue on his 4200. As soon as he bought his Quad Core problem went away. I suspect that it could be a bug with AMD Dual Cores.

Back